i950 will not print

Old July 4th 07, 06:08 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Alpha One

Default i950 will not print

I have a Canon i950 printer that was working very well except for a slight
streaking. After I cleaned the head several times using maintenance it got a
little better. I decided to take the heads off and use a damp paper towel I
placed against it to see if it cleaned it better. I tried this 3 or 4 times,
and it was getting better. However, the forth time I put it back on the
printer it didn't print anything at all, nothing. I assumed it was me that
ruined the head so I ordered a new one directly from Canon (cheaper that
anywhere else on the Net that I could find).
The problem is that with the brand new one it prints absolutely nothing as
it was with the old one.
Any idea what it could be? The printer should be working fine, I see no
reason for it not to be. I also removed and reinstalled the drivers just to
make sure it wasn't it.

Tony

Old July 4th 07, 06:44 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Alpha One

Canon brand all the time. I removed the tanks, and the head, nothing to it,
as I have done before. Tanks full, new head from Canon. Not even signs of
ink on the other side of the head. The printer goes trough the process as if
it were printing.

Old July 4th 07, 07:00 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
frank

measekite wrote:

Are you currently using and have you always used Canon OEM ink.

Well if he has then what is your answer?
If he hasn't then what is your answer?
Oh, you don't have one, huh?
I thought so!
Frank
Old July 4th 07, 07:08 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Michael Johnson

It wouldn't matter if you did use quality non-OEM inks. Ink apparently
isn't the cause of your problem as is the case with 99.9% of all printer
errors. You might want to check the contacts for the print head but it
sounds like something more serious. It might be time for a new printer.
The good thing is that printers are relatively inexpensive nowadays
since their prices are subsidized by the outrageous cost of OEM ink.

Old July 4th 07, 07:09 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Michael Johnson

Frank wrote:
measekite wrote:

Are you currently using and have you always used Canon OEM ink.

Well if he has then what is your answer?
If he hasn't then what is your answer?
Oh, you don't have one, huh?
I thought so!

He is a one trick pony.
Old July 4th 07, 07:35 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
frank

Michael Johnson wrote:

Frank wrote:

measekite wrote:

Are you currently using and have you always used Canon OEM ink.

Well if he has then what is your answer?
If he hasn't then what is your answer?
Oh, you don't have one, huh?
I thought so!

He is a one trick pony.

Oh don't we all know it.
Somebody should rent him out and not return him.
Frank
Old July 4th 07, 07:49 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Todd Vargo

"Michael Johnson" wrote in message
It wouldn't matter if you did use quality non-OEM inks. Ink apparently
isn't the cause of your problem as is the case with 99.9% of all printer
errors. You might want to check the contacts for the print head but it
sounds like something more serious. It might be time for a new printer.
The good thing is that printers are relatively inexpensive nowadays
since their prices are subsidized by the outrageous cost of OEM ink.

This printer model has a user replaceable print head so no need to rush out
to replace the whole printer. But a little bit of investigation and
deductive reasoning might explain why the printer stopped working
completely.

First, wiping the print head with a paper towel pushes fibers into the jet
openings which will certainly clog it. The method I have used is soaking the
print head in warm water for several minutes and then lightly blotting it
dry. I never wipe across the jet openings as this ruins the print head.
Another problem might be the print head has an air bubble trapped in it. I
always avoid turning a print head upside-down while handling it. If it gets
an air bubble trapped in it, then it will need primed by pressurizing the
ink tanks with a syringe. It's a very messy process but it works for me.

--
Todd Vargo
(Post questions to group only. Remove "z" to email personal messages)

Old July 4th 07, 08:48 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Tony[_2_]

"Alpha One" wrote:
Canon brand all the time. I removed the tanks, and the head, nothing to it,
as I have done before. Tanks full, new head from Canon. Not even signs of
ink on the other side of the head. The printer goes trough the process as if
it were printing.

et...

Alpha One wrote:
[...]

Regrettably I suspect the purge unit has failed.
This unit is the part that flushes the printheads during a printhead cleaning
operation, it does so by applying suction to the printhead. Without that
suction your new printhead cannot be primed and will produce no, or at best
very little, output.
Purge units can be difficult to replace but not always. Having said that I
don't know exactly how easy or hard it is to replace the purge unit in this
model. The service manual for the i950 is fairly pathetic, the parts manual
gives more information than the service manual. The part number for the prurge
unit is QG4-0303-000.
If you decide to take the plunge and buy a purge unit please e-mail me, I will
provide any help I can.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Old July 4th 07, 04:07 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

You can replace it with a new (and improved) Canon IP4300 for about $60 when on sale and with rebate.  This happen about once every 6 to 8 weeks.  Normally it is on sale frequently for about $80. It has twin paper feeds, duplex capability and uses the new and improved CL8 ink. It might be time to get one.

i950 print head no one Printers 35 June 9th 05 08:37 PM
Canon i950 Print Problem! BoB-B Printers 9 April 20th 05 07:36 AM
Buying an I950 Print head UK? JL Printers 0 February 6th 04 07:16 PM
Canon i950 - any way to print on 8.5 X 14 paper Chris Erdt Printers 2 October 15th 03 02:53 PM
Canon i950 - any way to print on 8.5 X 14 paper Chris Erdt Printers 0 October 15th 03 05:56 AM