Solid state hard-drives

Old February 6th 07, 10:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Lord0

Default Solid state hard-drives

Hi there,

Has anyone any experience/thoughts etc on solid state hard-drives? For
example:

http://www.sandisk.com/Oem/Default.aspx?CatID=1478

or

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/periphera...ler-161923.php

Im thinking about an upgrade and was wondering whether I should be
considering this, solid state, instead of the "usual" magnetic disc.
The promise of vastly improved read/write speeds and reduced power
consumption appeals greatly. The comparatively *limited* capacity is
not an issue for me.

thoughts?

Lord0

Old February 6th 07, 12:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Lord0 wrote:
Hi there,

Has anyone any experience/thoughts etc on solid state hard-drives? For
example:

http://www.sandisk.com/Oem/Default.aspx?CatID=1478

or

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/periphera...ler-161923.php

Im thinking about an upgrade and was wondering whether I should be
considering this, solid state, instead of the "usual" magnetic disc.
The promise of vastly improved read/write speeds and reduced power
consumption appeals greatly. The comparatively *limited* capacity is
not an issue for me.

thoughts?

Lord0

Here is the spec for the first one.
http://www.sandisk.com/Assets/File/p...000_1.8_DS.pdf

Reading is faster than writing.

Access time is 0.1 milliseconds, which is much better than a hard drive.

The critical part to the Sandisk drive, is the mention of TrueFFS. That
is what makes the device practical. TrueFFS is not mentioned in that
PDF document, but fortunately it was mentioned on the web site you quote.

AFAIK, Sandisk bought M-Systems, and TrueFFS was an asset of M-Systems.
It is used for "wear leveling", and is how flash memory (with a limited
number of write cycles per sector), can be used for ordinary hard drive
applications.

http://www.m-sys.com/NR/rdonlyres/FCC7D817-38A5-4D80-8471-67DA793EA255/0/TN_017_TrueFFS_Wear_Leveling_Mechanism.pdf|TN_017_ TrueFFS_Wear_Leveling_Mechanism.pdf

"Wear leveling" patents, are what separates "the men from the boys".
What technology does Samsung use ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wear_levelling

Paul
Old February 6th 07, 01:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shepİ

On 6 Feb 2007 02:08:57 -0800Whilst not letting inanimate objects know
we are in a hurry "Lord0" sent this :

Hi there,

Has anyone any experience/thoughts etc on solid state hard-drives? For
example:

http://www.sandisk.com/Oem/Default.aspx?CatID=1478

or

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/periphera...ler-161923.php

Im thinking about an upgrade and was wondering whether I should be
considering this, solid state, instead of the "usual" magnetic disc.
The promise of vastly improved read/write speeds and reduced power
consumption appeals greatly. The comparatively *limited* capacity is
not an issue for me.

thoughts?

Lord0

I'd leave it a while but they are the future IMHO.Pyhsical hard drives
will still be around for quite a while though because of their present
cost and size,

If you want a biggy,
http://news.com.com/Here+comes+the+t...3-6147409.html

--
Free Windows/PC help,
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...m?bandID=88558
Old February 6th 07, 01:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
philo

"Lord0" wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi there,

Has anyone any experience/thoughts etc on solid state hard-drives? For
example:

http://www.sandisk.com/Oem/Default.aspx?CatID=1478

snip

I'm sure the solid state HD is a great product...
but do you know how much they cost.
I did not see a price there...but the last time I looked at solid state HD
pricing...
I found them to ve *very* expensive.

You may also want to look into hybrid drives

Old February 6th 07, 02:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
1932

"Shepİ" wrote in message
[...]

AND hybrid drives, that run on electric or gas g.

Old February 6th 07, 03:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shepİ

On Tue, 06 Feb 2007 14:07:20 GMTWhilst not letting inanimate objects
know we are in a hurry "1932" sent this :

If you want a biggy,
http://news.com.com/Here+comes+the+t...3-6147409.html

AND hybrid drives, that run on electric or gas g.

Or recycled hard drives :O

Old February 6th 07, 04:06 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
JAD

these aren't really a new idea... used a 'hard card' 5 years or so ago. at
that time they were not very reliable and very volatile.

Old February 6th 07, 04:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
HDRDTD

Yes SSD's are still pricey.

I found what appears to be a price here.
http://japanese.engadget.com/2007/01...disk-32gb-ssd/

$600 for a 32gig drive??

Only if you're into extreme speed or need extrememe ruggedness.

Old February 6th 07, 05:00 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
ShazWozza

Lord0 wrote:

Hi there,

Has anyone any experience/thoughts etc on solid state hard-drives? For
example:

http://www.sandisk.com/Oem/Default.aspx?CatID=1478

or

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/periphera...ler-161923.php

Im thinking about an upgrade and was wondering whether I should be
considering this, solid state, instead of the "usual" magnetic disc.
The promise of vastly improved read/write speeds and reduced power
consumption appeals greatly. The comparatively *limited* capacity is
not an issue for me.

thoughts?

Lord0

For wear resistent solid state persistent memory how about going for one of
these 'ere old fangled bubble memory drives.

http://www.decodesystems.com/tib0203.html

If you could source a supply of those old chipsets you could make yourself a
pretty interesting retro solid state storage device. Of course you would
have to write a device driver for it and its capacity would be limited
unless you could map to an addressable array of the things.

They are probably dog slow by current day standards but at least they are
solid state.