Is it possible to build a silent computer, without fans at all? What case should I buy?

Old February 6th 07, 09:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Default Is it possible to build a silent computer, without fans at all? What case should I buy?

Hello!
Is it possible to build a silent computer, without fans at all? What
case should I buy?
Best regards,
Dima
+79035093892

Old February 6th 07, 12:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Lord0

On 6 Feb, 08:13, "k" wrote:
Hello!
Is it possible to build a silent computer, without fans at all? What
case should I buy?
Best regards,
Dima
+79035093892

Yes it is possible. Many Macs are built this way. As for what case - I
dunno. There are many google hits for "silent pc"

Old February 6th 07, 04:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike T.

"k" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello!
Is it possible to build a silent computer, without fans at all? What
case should I buy?
Best regards,
Dima
+79035093892

If you want to go without fans, you will need water cooling for CPU,
graphics card, mainboard chipset and hard drive(s). This will be a
considerable investment in terms of research, money and time. When you are
done, you will need at least one fan in the system still. Best bet would be
to get a really QUIET power supply with exhaust fan(s) such as a Seasonic
brand power supply in particular. While a power supply fan cools the power
supply primarily, it also draws some limited amount of air through the case.
So you could get by using JUST the power supply exhaust fan to cool the
system, probably.

You can't go totally without fans. Even if every major component is
water-cooled, you will still have problems if the ambient temperature in the
case gets too high. That will happen without at least some minimal amount
of airflow. That's why you can't go totally fanless.

There are cases designed specifically for better airflow. But regardless of
what case you buy, you still need a fan somewhere to move air through
t. -Dave

Old February 6th 07, 05:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Geoff

Fans are not the only problem, I had a seagate cheetah, 10,000 rpm, that was
noisy as hell. Vibration was not the problem because I even held it with my
hands and it still made a lot of noise.

-g

Old February 6th 07, 06:22 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
(Imhotep)

k wrote:
Hello!
Is it possible to build a silent computer, without fans at all? What
case should I buy?
Best regards,
Dima
+79035093892

Start he

http://www.silentpcreview.com/
Old February 6th 07, 10:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
FKS

"k" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello!
Is it possible to build a silent computer, without fans at all? What
case should I buy?
Best regards,
Dima
+79035093892

You can build a silent PC with fans. My core 2 duo system has 6 fans - 1
cpu, 1 PSU, 1 graphic card and 3 case fans. I don't hear any noise from it
although it's just one feet away from me (I'm ultra sensitive to noise,
BTW). I use only Zalman and Silenx fans. Also, keep in mind that hard drives
can generate lots of noise, too. I only use Seagate HDDs. I find them ultra
quiet.

Old February 6th 07, 10:10 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On Feb 6, 7:11 pm, "geoff" wrote:
Fans are not the only problem, I had a seagate cheetah, 10,000 rpm, that was
noisy as hell. Vibration was not the problem because I even held it with my
hands and it still made a lot of noise.

-g

Thanks geoff for your comment!
I use Samsung 2514, which is a quietest 250gb drive.

Old February 6th 07, 10:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On Feb 7, 12:08 am, "FKS" wrote:
"k" wrote in message

oups.com... Hello!
Is it possible to build a silent computer, without fans at all? What
case should I buy?
Best regards,
Dima
+79035093892

You can build a silent PC with fans. My core 2 duo system has 6 fans - 1
cpu, 1 PSU, 1 graphic card and 3 case fans. I don't hear any noise from it
although it's just one feet away from me (I'm ultra sensitive to noise,
BTW). I use only Zalman and Silenx fans. Also, keep in mind that hard drives
can generate lots of noise, too. I only use Seagate HDDs. I find them ultra
quiet.

Thanks FKS for your reply!
Is the Seagate HDD quieter than a Samsung 2514 250gb HDD?

Old February 8th 07, 03:43 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
FKS

"k" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 7, 12:08 am, "FKS" wrote:
"k" wrote in message

oups.com... Hello!
Is it possible to build a silent computer, without fans at all? What
case should I buy?
Best regards,
Dima
+79035093892

You can build a silent PC with fans. My core 2 duo system has 6 fans - 1
cpu, 1 PSU, 1 graphic card and 3 case fans. I don't hear any noise from
it
although it's just one feet away from me (I'm ultra sensitive to noise,
BTW). I use only Zalman and Silenx fans. Also, keep in mind that hard
drives
can generate lots of noise, too. I only use Seagate HDDs. I find them
ultra
quiet.

Thanks FKS for your reply!
Is the Seagate HDD quieter than a Samsung 2514 250gb HDD?

I don't see how other HDDs can be quieter than Seagate HDDs. Let's see...I
own 9 Seagate HDDs now: 3 x SATA 160GB, 3 x IDE 160GB & 3 x IDE 80GB. All of
them are ultra quiet. Can't hear a thing unless I glue my ear to them.

Old February 8th 07, 03:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
KR

On Feb 6, 6:13 pm, "k" wrote:
Hello!
Is it possible to build a silent computer, without fans at all? What
case should I buy?
Best regards,
Dima
+79035093892

it is

you can use some of the micro-atx boards by Eden and others that are
about 1 ghz, these arent hard to make fanless, and also they draw such
small power, the power supply probably wouldnt need a fan too.
However they are probably too slow for most people these days.

if you wanted to convert a standard basic PC you would need a
substantial amount of aluminium heatsink,

When you think about it, just about every watt that goes into a PC
turns into heat, so if you are drawing about 300w, then probably 290
is going up in heat.

I would estimate that you would need a large size computer case, with
every vertical outside surface made of finned aluminuim which would
have to be well thermally bonded to the hot components (ie processor
and possibly other hot M'board IC's, hard drive, power supply
heatsinks* etc)

(*Warning - the heatsinks inside ANY switchmode power supply are very
likely to be live, at about 350v DC, and potentially quite lethal to
the touch, even with the power off and these should NEVER be modified,
or connected to a computer case unless you know exactly what you are
doing. DO NOT even open one unless you know what you are doing and the
safety procedures.)

If you went the expense and effort of building such a case, I would
advise also that you have backup fans to come on if overheating
occurs, and that there are emergency shutdown systems in place. The
case would have to be well ventilated with nothing beside it or on top
and airflow around it would have to be generous.

Case fans question... Travis King Asus Motherboards 8 June 27th 04 06:52 PM
Silent Computer - Advice David Taylor Homebuilt PC's 51 October 7th 03 11:26 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan Homebuilt PC's 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan Dell Computers 34 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM