PINGL Ben Myers

Old November 4th 06, 03:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Lee

Default PINGL Ben Myers

Hi Ben

First thing I notice was you were still her helping! Maybe you can tell
me what is wrong with my old GW G6 333Mhz. All of a sudden it just
seems that the memory has been used up. I keep getting the blue screen
of Death with the code OE 0028:0000000D and have gone through the
exercise about deleting startup items with no luck and have started the
advanced portion of MSconfig so far with no luck. I get the feeling it
is memory which is no surprise as the old 1998 machine only has the max
256 megs of ram. Any tips? I have also gotten codes of OD C670:206f0a7f
and OE 0028:C003Ic7a in VXD called from 0028:C00301F9 in VXD. So far I
have had no luck in fixing it and believe it or not I hate to dump the
old machine as I still use it.

Gateway has made some good machines and all I have had done since buying
the machine in 98 is replace the floppy disk drive. Finally replaced
the optical Floppy with just a standard floppy other than that most has
been the same!

Thanks for any assistance you maybe be able to offer.

Lee (in Florida)
Old November 4th 06, 09:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
mdp

Lee wrote:
[...]

While you're waiting for Ben may I offer some suggestions:

Provide a description of what you are/were doing before it crashed.
Have you installed any HW lately?
Have you installed and SW lately, programs, updates, etc?
What OS are you running?

Old November 4th 06, 11:02 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
BillW50

"mdp" wrote in message

While you're waiting for Ben may I offer some suggestions:

Hahaha... I'm withholding my comments until asked. But who wants to hear
from an EE, right? lol

--
Bill

Old November 5th 06, 01:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

Omigosh, the same Lee who escaped the cold weather in Massachusetts? Wow, long
time no speak.

The first thing to do is to figure out whether the hardware is failing or the
software is all hosed up. Start with the hardware. Download and run
MEMTEST-86, the bestest free memory diagnostic software. If it shows some sort
of errors, the hardware is at fault. Likewise, determine the make and model of
hard drive and run the drive manufacturer's diagnostic test. If any hardware
is failing, you have your answer for the BSODs, and it is probably time to
replace the computer or maybe only some of the hardware, if you can get
replacement hardware for real cheap.

If the memory and hard drive test out OK, it is a pretty good bet that the
software is messed up by a virus, some malware, spyware or some other bad
software. What version of Windows are you running? Does the computer start
up and run OK in safe mode?

If the BSODs do not show any consistent pattern and they are mostly different
from one another, I'd bet on a hardware failure... Ben Myers

Old November 6th 06, 03:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Lee

Ben Myers wrote:

[...]

OK running 98 SE
Just replaced the Flop optical drive with a standard floppy
Did change it from flop optical to floppy in the settings.
Also did an update from GW for my computer
As far as when it started acting up I am not sure. It more or less just
started with the blue screen and got worse!

I have run memtest-86 now for the last 8 and 1/2 hours and have the
following:

Pent II 333 Mhz
L1 Cache: 32 3266MB/s
L2 Cache:512 452MB/s
Memory: 256M 228MB/s
Chipset: Intel I440 [le]x

Wall Time Cached RsvdMen MemMap Cache ECC Test Pass Errors ECC Errs
__________________________________________________ _________________________

8:40 256M 160K e820-std on off std 9 0

Even took and blew the dust out of it just in case and checked the cards
to insure they were in tight.

I keep getting the same things on the Blue Screen 0028:0000000D and
when it does it the second time I get 0028:C003107A

I also did the Msconfig thing and even the advance portion eliminating
all with no change. sure has me confuse! But as I said before it seems
to be running low on memory like something is running in the background
or something. Maybe it is time to pull the gun and shoot it? (grin)
it has lasted 8 years so far hate to see it go even if it is slow.

Lee (in Florida)
Old November 6th 06, 03:55 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

Well, Memtest says the memory is just fine. What about the hard drive? Maybe
it's feeling a little ill? Run diagnostics to find out. If the hard drive is
just fine, maybe its time to reload Windows, because the problem could simply be
screwed up software, so screwed up you can't fix it... Ben Myers

_________________________________________________ __________________________

Old November 6th 06, 02:00 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Muddle

It would be best if you posted the entire faultlog.txt.
If you have tweakui installed on the Paranoia tab check the box next to "Log
application errors to FAULTLOG.TXT. If you don't have it installed, install
it. After you get a number of errors logged open the file and copy and post
the entire contents of the text file here. You'll find faultog.txt in your
Windows folder after you turn it on. It's difficult to find information on
these errors given the info you provided.
The version TweakUI 1.2 included on the Windows 98 SE CD, in the
\tools\reskit\powertoy\ folder is fine for this even though there are newer
versions. After installing it go to the control panel and you'll see a new
icon labeled TweakUI.

Old November 6th 06, 02:27 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

Rule number one of computer problem diagnosis: Make absolutely sure that the
HARDWARE is 100% A-OK before looking for software problems. Examining
faultlog.txt puts the cart before the horse... Ben Myers

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 14:00:45 GMT, "Muddle" wrote:

It would be best if you posted the entire faultlog.txt.
If you have tweakui installed on the Paranoia tab check the box next to "Log
application errors to FAULTLOG.TXT. If you don't have it installed, install
it. After you get a number of errors logged open the file and copy and post
the entire contents of the text file here. You'll find faultog.txt in your
Windows folder after you turn it on. It's difficult to find information on
these errors given the info you provided.
The version TweakUI 1.2 included on the Windows 98 SE CD, in the
\tools\reskit\powertoy\ folder is fine for this even though there are newer
versions. After installing it go to the control panel and you'll see a new
icon labeled TweakUI.

.. .

________________________________________________ ___________________________

Old November 6th 06, 03:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Muddle

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
Rule number one of computer problem diagnosis: Make absolutely sure that

the
HARDWARE is 100% A-OK before looking for software problems. Examining
faultlog.txt puts the cart before the horse... Ben Myers

Sorry Ben, however in recent posts even a reinstall was suggested.
Faultlog.txt also logs hardware and driver faults and conflicts
OE 0028:0000000D and OD C670:206f0a7f
and OE 0028:C003Ic7a in VXD called from 0028:C00301F9 in VXD tells me
nothing. What VXD, what application caused the fault etc.
You need, Tapisrv has caused an Invalid Page Fault in module Kernel32.dll
or it's equivilent to diagnose such problems. There are hundreds of VXD's
on my computer, without knowing which one and which application cased the
error your wandering in the dark.

wrote:

[...]

.. .

________________________________________________ __________________________

_

Old November 6th 06, 07:00 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Ben Myers

Can I shout across the internet in capital letters a repeated request? HAS THE
HARD DRIVE BEEN TESTED WITH MANUFACTURER'S DIAGNOSTICS AND SHOWN TO BE
ERROR-FREE? This MUST be done first to have confidence that the hardware is
fucntioning properly, or we all might as well go tilting at windmills. I hope
I have made myself clear! Until the hardware is 100% error free, faultlog.txt
or any other Microsoft diagnostic tool is not worth a damn... Ben Myers

On Mon, 06 Nov 2006 15:24:58 GMT, "Muddle" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

.. .

_