Please Help! I need to upgrade my CPU, etc.

Old April 4th 04, 02:14 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
+G

Default Please Help! I need to upgrade my CPU, etc.

Hi, can you please help me? I figured there would be a few AMD experts in
here.

This is my sisters PC.

It has an AOpen AK-73 Pro mainboard and it presently has a Duron 900 chip in
it.

I'd like to upgrade it to a faster CPU (the prices seem cheap now), but
don't know what the maximum speed chip this board will take if I upgrade it.

I already upgraded the RAM (it only had 128MB), but would like to add a
better Video Card as well.
It currently has a Voodoo 3000 16MB AGP card in it. Can anyone recommend a
good cheap AGP card that would match this system? I was thinking low end
here.

Thanks in advance...

Old April 4th 04, 04:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Peter van der Goes

"+G" wrote in message
Hi, can you please help me? I figured there would be a few AMD experts

in
here.

This is my sisters PC.

It has an AOpen AK-73 Pro mainboard and it presently has a Duron 900 chip

in
it.

I'd like to upgrade it to a faster CPU (the prices seem cheap now), but
don't know what the maximum speed chip this board will take if I upgrade

it.

I already upgraded the RAM (it only had 128MB), but would like to add a
better Video Card as well.
It currently has a Voodoo 3000 16MB AGP card in it. Can anyone recommend

good cheap AGP card that would match this system? I was thinking low end
here.

Thanks in advance...

I googled this up in a minute or two.

Found at the AOpen web site in their museum:

http://english.aopen.com.tw/products/mb/AK73Pro(A).htm

Old April 4th 04, 06:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
+G

Thanks, that was the first thing I tried. However, that PDF is old.
It doesn't mention the newer chips unfortunately.

Old April 4th 04, 07:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird

It's a beauty of an older motherboard and will take any processor whether it
is a Duron or Athlon XP (preferred) as long as the buss speed is 266 (133 x
2) and so a nice cheap effort would be an Athlon XP 2000 as this is the
maximum CPU tested for this motherboard as long as ENG 9C support is on the
motherboard. Otherwise you are better off to buy another motherboard that is
newer than what you have but is older so the cost is lower. You could buy a
motherboard combination with Athlon 2400 and motherboard together with CPU
fan for 76 to 77 dollars.

http://swe.aopen.com.tw/testreport/m...=494&Model=331

This board only has an AGP 4X slot, so if you look for an FX 5200 with 128
megs of ram this would set you back about 55 dollars. The Athlon 2000 is
about 46 to 47 dollars.

regards

Old April 4th 04, 07:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
+G

Thanks!! I'll have to check on the ENG 9C support, I believe it is there.

Old April 4th 04, 10:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 10:14:41 -0300, +G wrote:

It has an AOpen AK-73 Pro mainboard and it presently has a Duron 900 chip in
it.

KT133 chipset.

I'd like to upgrade it to a faster CPU (the prices seem cheap now), but
don't know what the maximum speed chip this board will take if I upgrade
it.

See sig line. See link.

I already upgraded the RAM (it only had 128MB), but would like to add a
better Video Card as well.
It currently has a Voodoo 3000 16MB AGP card in it. Can anyone
recommend a good cheap AGP card that would match this system? I was
thinking low end here.

Just make sure it's at least 128bit. IOW's, forget anything MX. I just got
a GF3 from here. They shipped Express Mail.

http://www.shentech.com/visiontek.html

Old April 4th 04, 10:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 20:28:58 +0200, B wrote:

"+G" wrote in message
[...]

He didn't say he had a Pro A model (KT133A), but only a Pro model (KT133),
so the fsb is limited to 100MHz (/200). So he'll need an unlocked cpu to
get the most out of it. A 2500+ Barton core would be nice. HAS to be
UNLOCKED though.

Old April 5th 04, 04:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Brook

He didn't say he had a Pro A model (KT133A), but only a Pro model (KT133),
so the fsb is limited to 100MHz (/200). So he'll need an unlocked cpu to
get the most out of it. A 2500+ Barton core would be nice. HAS to be
UNLOCKED though.

An Athlon XP-Mobile Barton 2400+ comes to mind. Would that work?

Old April 5th 04, 03:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
rstlne

"Brook" wrote in message ...

He didn't say he had a Pro A model (KT133A), but only a Pro model

(KT133),
so the fsb is limited to 100MHz (/200). So he'll need an unlocked cpu to
get the most out of it. A 2500+ Barton core would be nice. HAS to be
UNLOCKED though.

An Athlon XP-Mobile Barton 2400+ comes to mind. Would that work?

Doubtful..
There are chipset limitations to the "Mobile" chips. It's why us Nforce
users might not get a M chip working