Athlon 1400 Mhz temp

Old October 24th 03, 05:32 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
GJ Eldering

Default Athlon 1400 Mhz temp

Hi there,

My athlon 1400 MHz temp is very high 60 - 70 Celsius
Is this normal????
Have a Asus A7V600 motherboard with 512 DDR 266 MHz memory.
The proc. is 133 MHz.
Use Win$ XP
What to do?

Thanks GJ Eldering

Old October 24th 03, 09:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Lost

My athlon 1400 MHz temp is very high 60 - 70 Celsius
Is this normal????

The Athlon Thunderbird 1400MHz is a very hot chip. Those temperatures
sound a bit high though.

Was any thermal grease applied to the heatsink? A thermal pad attached?
Is the fan working properly? Is your case/room temperature too high?

Old October 24th 03, 11:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
DCstewieG

Mine (also 266 FSB but that shouldn't matter) sometimes hits 60 after being
at 100% utilization, but only rarely does it go over that. Idle its a little
over 50. This is after turning down the vcore though. It seems to be getting
a little hotter as it gets older... I don't know that motherboard, but if
you can change the vcore, I'd recommend turning that down one step, running
for a day or so, then repeating. When it freezes (and it will sometime) turn
it back up one.

Is your temp @ idle or 100%?

Old October 25th 03, 01:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
J.Clarke

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 18:32:19 +0200
GJ Eldering wrote:

Hi there,

My athlon 1400 MHz temp is very high 60 - 70 Celsius
Is this normal????
Have a Asus A7V600 motherboard with 512 DDR 266 MHz memory.
The proc. is 133 MHz.
Use Win$ XP
What to do?

Thanks GJ Eldering

60 is quite reasonable if you're not overclocking. If it's stable at 70
don't worry about it, the chip is good for 90 IIRC (might be 95), most
builders like to keep the temperature below 60 to allow for errors in
measurement and give some headroom, but if the machine is stable at 70
indicated then it's almost certainly running below 90 actual.

If you're overclocking it's another story--you want the chip as cool as
possible as the cooler it runs the more headroom you have on clock
speed.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Old October 25th 03, 01:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
GJ Eldering

DCstewieG wrote:

[...]

Thanks all....

--
SuSELinux 9.0
KDE 3.1.4-35
Old October 25th 03, 10:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
GJ Eldering

GJ Eldering wrote:

Hi there,

My athlon 1400 MHz temp is very high 60 - 70 Celsius
Is this normal????
Have a Asus A7V600 motherboard with 512 DDR 266 MHz memory.
The proc. is 133 MHz.
Use Win$ XP
What to do?

Thanks GJ Eldering

60 is quite reasonable if you're not overclocking. If it's stable at 70
don't worry about it, the chip is good for 90 IIRC (might be 95), most
builders like to keep the temperature below 60 to allow for errors in
measurement and give some headroom, but if the machine is stable at 70
indicated then it's almost certainly running below 90 actual.

If you're overclocking it's another story--you want the chip as cool as
possible as the cooler it runs the more headroom you have on clock
speed.

I am not overclocking, but when using the win mediaplayer the proc. works
100%, and then the temp goes to 70 C
Normal it's 62 C

Thanks Gerrit Jan

Old October 25th 03, 11:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Ben Pope

GJ Eldering wrote:
I am not overclocking, but when using the win mediaplayer the proc. works
100%, and then the temp goes to 70 C

Thats pretty high... especially as Media Player is unlikely taxing it any
where near as much as a game might, or Prim95, or video encoding etc.

I don't think there's a temperature diode in these, right? If you're
reading socket temp, then you're almost certainly pushing your luck as CPU
can easily be +10°C in steady state.

Ben

Old October 25th 03, 03:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 11:50:00 +0200, GJ Eldering wrote:

GJ Eldering wrote:

My athlon 1400 MHz temp is very high 60 - 70 Celsius
Is this normal????
Have a Asus A7V600 motherboard with 512 DDR 266 MHz memory.
The proc. is 133 MHz.
Use Win$ XP
What to do?

I am not overclocking, but when using the win mediaplayer the proc. works
100%, and then the temp goes to 70 C
Normal it's 62 C

Whats' the room temp? Should be under 26C (80F).

What's the case temp? It should be under 10C of room temp. Preferably
under 6C. If it's more than this, add fans or something. Remove side cover
as a temporary measure, and the cpu temps should drop.

If your case temps are 30C or under, then you have a cpu cooler problem.
Either not mounted right or you need a better cooler. Which brings the
question of what cpu cooler you have?

----
Old October 25th 03, 04:09 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
GJ Eldering

GJ Eldering wrote:

My athlon 1400 MHz temp is very high 60 - 70 Celsius
Is this normal????
Have a Asus A7V600 motherboard with 512 DDR 266 MHz memory.
The proc. is 133 MHz.
Use Win$ XP
What to do?

I am not overclocking, but when using the win mediaplayer the proc. works
100%, and then the temp goes to 70 C
Normal it's 62 C

Whats' the room temp? Should be under 26C (80F).

What's the case temp? It should be under 10C of room temp. Preferably
under 6C. If it's more than this, add fans or something. Remove side cover
as a temporary measure, and the cpu temps should drop.

If your case temps are 30C or under, then you have a cpu cooler problem.
Either not mounted right or you need a better cooler. Which brings the
question of what cpu cooler you have?

----

Thanks for all the answers....
I look in to it and buy a new cooler, it's working fine.
I update my processor as well....????

GJ
--
SuSELinux 9.0
KDE 3.1.4-48
Old October 25th 03, 08:21 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Buffalo

"GJ Eldering" wrote in message
Hi there,

My athlon 1400 MHz temp is very high 60 - 70 Celsius
Is this normal????
Have a Asus A7V600 motherboard with 512 DDR 266 MHz memory.
The proc. is 133 MHz.
Use Win$ XP
What to do?

Thanks GJ Eldering

Some people start getting errors when their Athlons start approaching 70C.
What program are you using to monitor those temps? Perhaps try another one
to see if the temp reading is correct.
Or, when you think it is at it hottest, shut down and go into the BIOS and
see what the temps say in there.
If it has just started getting that hot, then I would clean the dust,etc out
of the cpu heatsink and make sure the cpu fan is clean and turning at high
speed.Also check the vent holes in your case, etc.
If you feel comfortable doing it, remove the cpu heatsink, clean it and its
contact surface on the cpu with alcohol or similar, use a tiny amt of
heatsink compound (RadioShack stuff is cheap and just fine) and reinstall.
What is your motherboard temp?