SATA drivers without a floppy?

Old August 6th 08, 11:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jon Danniken

Default SATA drivers without a floppy?

I am putting together a new box within the next week, and will be attempting
to install WinXP (sp2 slipstreamed) onto a SATA HDD.

Unfortunately, the board I am getting (Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L) doesn't have a
FDD port (yeah, I know, I sold out).

I know I could slipstream the drivers onto an installation CD, but as I
already did that for sp2, I really don't want to go through the hassle of
doing it again (I'm out of CDs too).

So, is there any way to install the SATA drivers using, say, a USB memory
stick? Are they maybe already a part of (included with) the sp2 release?

Thanks for any help on this,

Jon

Old August 7th 08, 04:51 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Ken Maltby

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
I am putting together a new box within the next week, and will be
attempting to install WinXP (sp2 slipstreamed) onto a SATA HDD.

Unfortunately, the board I am getting (Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L) doesn't have
a FDD port (yeah, I know, I sold out).

I know I could slipstream the drivers onto an installation CD, but as I
already did that for sp2, I really don't want to go through the hassle of
doing it again (I'm out of CDs too).

So, is there any way to install the SATA drivers using, say, a USB memory
stick? Are they maybe already a part of (included with) the sp2 release?

Thanks for any help on this,

Jon

You might ask "Gigabyte". If the SATA controller on the
board requires drivers, Gigabyte should have made some
provision for their installation. Have you downloaded the
User's Manual or Installation/Quick Start instructions?

Luck;
Ken

Old August 7th 08, 12:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
km[_2_]

On Wed, 6 Aug 2008 15:49:25 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

I am putting together a new box within the next week, and will be attempting
to install WinXP (sp2 slipstreamed) onto a SATA HDD.

Unfortunately, the board I am getting (Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L) doesn't have a
FDD port (yeah, I know, I sold out).

I know I could slipstream the drivers onto an installation CD, but as I
already did that for sp2, I really don't want to go through the hassle of
doing it again (I'm out of CDs too).

So, is there any way to install the SATA drivers using, say, a USB memory
stick? Are they maybe already a part of (included with) the sp2 release?

Thanks for any help on this,

Jon

Are you sure that you need to anything? SATA drives seems to be
treated in same way as PATA from my experience ie no action needed as
it is automatically recognised.

km
Old August 7th 08, 01:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT[_4_]

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
I am putting together a new box within the next week, and will be
attempting to install WinXP (sp2 slipstreamed) onto a SATA HDD.

Unfortunately, the board I am getting (Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L) doesn't have
a FDD port (yeah, I know, I sold out).

I know I could slipstream the drivers onto an installation CD, but as I
already did that for sp2, I really don't want to go through the hassle of
doing it again (I'm out of CDs too).

So, is there any way to install the SATA drivers using, say, a USB memory
stick? Are they maybe already a part of (included with) the sp2 release?

What drivers? If you have booted into Windows, then the PC is already using
the hard disks and therefore don't need drivers. If you have not loaded an
operating system, then there is nothing to get the drivers into.

You don't need drivers to read a SATA disk through a SATA controller.

Just make your CD drive bootable and boot on the WinXP CD and all will be
well.

Old August 7th 08, 02:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Ian D

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
I am putting together a new box within the next week, and will be
attempting to install WinXP (sp2 slipstreamed) onto a SATA HDD.

Unfortunately, the board I am getting (Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L) doesn't have
a FDD port (yeah, I know, I sold out).

I know I could slipstream the drivers onto an installation CD, but as I
already did that for sp2, I really don't want to go through the hassle of
doing it again (I'm out of CDs too).

So, is there any way to install the SATA drivers using, say, a USB memory
stick? Are they maybe already a part of (included with) the sp2 release?

Thanks for any help on this,

Jon

Unless you're setting up a RAID, which you won't be doing with a single
drive, you don't need any SATA drivers. By default the SATA controller
will be configured as IDE.

Old August 7th 08, 03:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Jon Danniken wrote:
I am putting together a new box within the next week, and will be attempting
to install WinXP (sp2 slipstreamed) onto a SATA HDD.

Unfortunately, the board I am getting (Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L) doesn't have a
FDD port (yeah, I know, I sold out).

I know I could slipstream the drivers onto an installation CD, but as I
already did that for sp2, I really don't want to go through the hassle of
doing it again (I'm out of CDs too).

So, is there any way to install the SATA drivers using, say, a USB memory
stick? Are they maybe already a part of (included with) the sp2 release?

Thanks for any help on this,

Jon

The Intel Southbridge has three modes for SATA. They are IDE, AHCI, and RAID.
The first mode, and possibly the BIOS default, uses a driver already in Windows
(for example WinXP SP1 or later). So you shouldn't need to press F6, if using
the IDE mode.

Before buying any motherboard, you can download the manual and have a look
around the BIOS settings. Sometimes, but not that often, there is a section
on OS installation. Most motherboard makers leave it to the imagination, as
to which modes need drivers added or not. Or whether a RAID setting, will
allow separate, single drives, to be run as well.

Paul

Old August 7th 08, 05:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jon Danniken

"Paul" wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:
[...]

Thanks Paul, (and everyone else), that doesn't seem to be as bad as I had
made it out to be. I'll d/l the manual anyway to brush up on things.

THanks again,

Jon

Old August 8th 08, 01:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
DevilsPGD[_2_]

In message km
wrote:

Are you sure that you need to anything? SATA drives seems to be
treated in same way as PATA from my experience ie no action needed as
it is automatically recognised.

Only if your SATA controller is in a legacy mode, which also reduces the
interface improvements of SATA (NCQ/TCQ, hotplugging, etc)
Old August 8th 08, 11:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Avelino Tavares

Use a USB floppy.
Easy !
"Jon Danniken" escreveu na mensagem

Old August 8th 08, 04:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jon Danniken

"Avelino Tavares" wrote:
"Jon Danniken" wrote:
"Paul" wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Avelino, I didn't know they had such a thing.

You know it's kind of funny, the first floppy drives I remember seeing were
"external", and would plug into your exsting computer. THey were a big
upgrade from a tape deck, and big suckers, too. Of course then they figured
out how to put them inside of the case, and now, 20 years later, they've got
a cord on them once again.

Jon