Internet Explorer slow

Old August 2nd 07, 04:37 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Alpha One

Default Internet Explorer slow

My desktop takes several times longer to download IE than my laptop, 17 sec
vs 6 sec or so. The same happens when downloading webpages, unless it's the
second time (or more) loading it..This is at the office. At home both
computers load about as fast. The desktop is a faster computer than the
loptop What could cause this?

Tony

Old August 2nd 07, 05:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT

"Alpha One" wrote in message
My desktop takes several times longer to download IE than my laptop, 17
sec vs 6 sec or so. The same happens when downloading webpages, unless
it's the second time (or more) loading it..This is at the office. At home
both computers load about as fast. The desktop is a faster computer than
the loptop What could cause this?

Slower wireless card perhaps?

Old August 2nd 07, 11:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Alpha One

But not with the laptop. It is always fast. I have tryed them at the same
time, side by side connected to the same network, even have switched plugs,
desktop is always slower.
However, I bring them home, connected to my home network, they are both
fast.

"Joel" wrote in message
"Alpha One" wrote:

My desktop takes several times longer to download IE than my laptop, 17
sec
vs 6 sec or so. The same happens when downloading webpages, unless it's
the
second time (or more) loading it..This is at the office. At home both
computers load about as fast. The desktop is a faster computer than the
loptop What could cause this?

If you could give little more detail of what's going on with the system
then we may be able to give you more detail answer.

- 2nd time is faster, this has always been (for ages) because

- The 1st time the browser needs to download the original info

- The 2nd, 3rd and on and on, the browser will just read and display the
information *already* downloaded and stored in catch folder on the hard
drive.

Other problem we will need to know what's going on in order to give the
answer, and you are the only one who can provide all information.

Tony

Old August 3rd 07, 12:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Lord Turkey Cough

"Alpha One" wrote in message
My desktop takes several times longer to download IE than my laptop, 17
sec vs 6 sec or so. The same happens when downloading webpages, unless
it's the second time (or more) loading it..This is at the office. At home
both computers load about as fast. The desktop is a faster computer than
the loptop What could cause this?

Why are you downloading IE?
It would make sense to have a copy on your computer.
What are you using to download it? Firefox?

Tony

Old August 3rd 07, 08:44 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul

Alpha One wrote:
My mistake, sorry, I meant loading IE, also loading Webpages.

The problem could be in DNS. When you web surf, the symbolic address,
like "www.altavista.com", has to be translated to a numeric address
like "216.155.200.155". DNS is the service that does that.

If I fire up a DOS window (command prompt window), and type

nslookup www.altavista.com

that manually attempts a translation. The returned response should
be reasonably fast. If there is a significant delay, it means more than
one DNS server might be tested sequentially. In the experiments I've done
here, on Win2K, Windows doesn't seem to be that clever, in the sense
that, if a working DNS server is found, it is not consulted first the
next time. The search order is again used, to resolve the address.
Some other OSes I've worked with, remember which DNS server worked.
I believe there are even cases where the DNS servers are rated
according to how short their response time is. But at least here
on my computer, Win2K doesn't seem to do any of that stuff.

Your networking setup might be done a couple of ways. Many people use
DHCP (automatic setup by talking to router box). The DNS server of choice
may propagate through a couple layers of DHCP, from the ISP. Or, some people
(occasionally me as well), will assign settings manually in the network
setup. For example, when I have a computer, where DNS is extremely slow,
because bad servers are in the list of servers, I override manually and
put my own DNS server address. But that can be bad, because a good choice
on my home ISP, could be a bad choice on a work network. DHCP, in that
regard, can be a better setup option, because in theory, the DNS server
you use, will be more optimized for the current ISP choice.

Paul

Old August 3rd 07, 10:23 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
GT

"Alpha One" wrote in message
My mistake, sorry, I meant loading IE, also loading Webpages.

Ahh, well that is a totally different question - you are talking about
have the same home page set? Perhaps the desktop has to download more on the
home page, which will take time compared to the laptop. Try setting the home
page to be blank, or a local page on the hard drive as a test. What else are
you running on the desktop when you try to open IE? If the memory is full
and the PC is working in virtual memory then loading any application will
take a while as it has to swap files in and out of memory to hard disk,
whilst loading the application from disk at the same time.

Do other applications take the same time to load on the 2 PCs or is it the
same story with other apps too?

Old August 3rd 07, 01:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
davy

Have you tried defragging the hard drive then clearing the Temp files
and Cookies in Explorer or in Internet options?

Exploder never been fast the best of times... I use Firefox... just
trying Safari for Xp and thats even faster.

Davy

Old August 4th 07, 12:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Lord Turkey Cough

"Alpha One" wrote in message
My desktop takes several times longer to download IE than my laptop, 17
sec vs 6 sec or so. The same happens when downloading webpages, unless
it's the second time (or more) loading it..This is at the office. At home
both computers load about as fast. The desktop is a faster computer than
the loptop What could cause this?

It must be a pain carrying the desktop to and fro from the office.
Why don't you mount the office on wheels so you can tow it back
home with you?

Tony