640m harddrive

Old March 22nd 07, 02:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
(-Peter-)

Default 640m harddrive

Hi..

I've got a dell 640m notebook..

I have 1 gb of memory..

I think that it's a bit slow when I'm starting 3 or 4 programs at the
same time.. (using windows xp)

I've been told that it possible is the hard drive that is to slow -
the hard drive I've got now is fujitsu 60 gb 5400 rpm (http://
http://www.fel.fujitsu.com/home/v3__...&inf=fsp&wg=15) ..

The people I talked to told me to buy a 7200 rpm hard drive... do you
think that they are right?

And can anyone tell me if my hard drive is sata 1 or 2, and what I
should buy (what does the notebook support?)

I've found this hard drive which I eventually will buy:

Hitachi TravelStar 7K100 80 GB

Is that a good choice?

Or is it better to buy seagate where I get 5 years warranty?: Seagate
Momentus 7200.1 ST980825AS 80 GB

I hope someone can help me..

/peter

Old March 22nd 07, 02:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ed Medlin

"(-Peter-)" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I would think that your processor would make more difference. There are
several processors that are available for that particular notebook model and
if you got one of the Core 2 Duos it should be pretty snappy. If you went
with one of the lower speed Core Duos (instead of Core 2 Duos) it may bog a
bit with a lot of programs open.

Ed

Old March 22nd 07, 03:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
(-Peter-)

I've got a T2300 processor 1,66 ghz - I do not think that it is core 2
duo...

Don't you think that hard drive upgrade would help anything?

/peter

On 22 Mar., 15:56, "Ed Medlin" wrote:
"(-Peter-)" wrote in message

[...]

Ed- Skjul tekst i anførselstegn -

- Vis tekst i anførselstegn -

Old March 22nd 07, 03:13 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
(-Peter-)

I forgot I've got another question.. does my notebook support core duo
2 - is it the same socket as the one I have now?

Old March 23rd 07, 01:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Ed Medlin

"(-Peter-)" wrote in message
oups.com...

I forgot I've got another question.. does my notebook support core duo
2 - is it the same socket as the one I have now?

To try and answer both the hdd and processor questions....... I doubt that
you will see much, if any difference with a 7200 vs 5400rpm drive as far as
speeding up multitasking. You would however, see a difference if you were
reading and writing large files to disk. The hdd really doesn't have much
effect at all with how snappy your computer is once the programs are open
and running. As far as Core 2 Duo or Core Duo processors go, I wouldn't
really know because I have no idea what MB chipset Dell may have put in that
particular system. You would have to call them and find out. I am sure it is
the same socket, but dual cores are not supported in all S-775 boards. If it
is a later model board like a 965m or 975m board, it would (or should)
support dual cores, but Dell is the only one that could tell you for sure.
You would have to send the laptop to Dell for upgrading or you would void
any and all warranties that may be in effect.

Ed