Seagate support

Old January 29th 07, 02:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
MikeM

Default Seagate support

Almost 2 weeks ago I returned a Seagate HDD under warrantee. Since
then I have been seeing a number of reports of problems with Seagate
warrantree support, and that when they replace a drive it is with a
refurbished drive. Is this a widely held view of Seagate support.
Old January 29th 07, 03:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
1932

"MikeM" wrote in message
Almost 2 weeks ago I returned a Seagate HDD under warrantee. Since
then I have been seeing a number of reports of problems with Seagate
warrantree support, and that when they replace a drive it is with a
refurbished drive. Is this a widely held view of Seagate support.

It`d be the same for most manufacturers.
Sometimes they have stuff returned that only had
`user problems`.
In that case, the unit would be thoroughly tested, and
re-issued.
More to the point, is whether you get a Full warranty
period.

Old January 29th 07, 03:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jeff

"1932" wrote in message

It`d be the same for most manufacturers.
Sometimes they have stuff returned that only had
`user problems`.
In that case, the unit would be thoroughly tested, and
re-issued.
More to the point, is whether you get a Full warranty
period.

If someone knows of a company that doesn't return a refurbished drive, I
would be interested. I've been buying primarily seagate and haven't had much
of a problem. ...just bought 4 $450 SAS drives and 1 went out just after the
period where I could return to the retailer for a replacement. Sent it to
seagate and had a new/refurbished unit in about 4-5 business days. ...wasn't
really happy about getting a refurbished drive in replacement for a drive
that was about 1 month old, but it is working well now.

Jeff

Old January 29th 07, 07:03 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Tweek

Most manufacturers replacement drives are refurbished or recertified.
Generally it is not economical to repair hard drives so refurbished usually
just means 'used and tested good'. The remainder of the warranty on the
original drive applies to the replacement.

Old January 29th 07, 11:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
MikeM

The other point I fogot to mention in my original post was the length
of warrantee. In at least one post I read Seagate said the warrantee
period started some time before purchase, I think it was something
like the time it left the factory. Is it usual for Seagate warrantees
to start from a time other than the date of purchase. Some time ago I
have had Western Digitals replaced with no problems, are they still
goof with returns?

Old January 30th 07, 02:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Tweek

On OEM (bare) drives all of the hdd manufacturers warranties begin on the
date of manufacture. On retail drives it is from the date of purchase. If
you don't have a proof of purchase, then it is from the date of manufacture
just like OEM drives. I buy Seagates whenever I can because of the five year
warranty. I had to return on recently and while it was taken care of without
any issues, Western Digitals RMA process is much easier to deal with. With
WD I can have them cross ship me the replacement (you have to provide a CC
number in case you don't return the defective drive), but I could not find
an option to do that with Seagate.

Old January 30th 07, 03:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jeff

"Tweek" wrote in message
On OEM (bare) drives all of the hdd manufacturers warranties begin on the
date of manufacture. On retail drives it is from the date of purchase. If
you don't have a proof of purchase, then it is from the date of
manufacture just like OEM drives. I buy Seagates whenever I can because of
the five year warranty. I had to return on recently and while it was taken
care of without any issues, Western Digitals RMA process is much easier to
deal with. With WD I can have them cross ship me the replacement (you have
to provide a CC number in case you don't return the defective drive), but
I could not find an option to do that with Seagate.

I remember returning a Western Digital years ago and do remember that they
sent me a new drive instead of a refurbished unit, but that was because the
old drive was no longer manufactured. I don't think that this is typical. I
don't believe that Seagate offers the cross-shipping, but I was able to get
my replacement quickly (of course the shipping was in-state). I know that I
have returned one other seagate, but don't remember the details. ...perhaps
those 3 over about 10 years and perhaps 20-25 drives that I've used over
that time on various machines.

Jeff

Old January 31st 07, 04:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
MCheu

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 14:01:29 GMT, "1932" wrote:

"MikeM" wrote in message
.. .
Almost 2 weeks ago I returned a Seagate HDD under warrantee. Since
then I have been seeing a number of reports of problems with Seagate
warrantree support, and that when they replace a drive it is with a
refurbished drive. Is this a widely held view of Seagate support.

It`d be the same for most manufacturers.
Sometimes they have stuff returned that only had
`user problems`.
In that case, the unit would be thoroughly tested, and
re-issued.
More to the point, is whether you get a Full warranty
period.

Yup. It's not the reliability of the recertified drives that's a big
issue, but rather that some manufacturers truncate the warranty once
they provide you with a replacement. With some companies, the
warranty period on a recertified drive is 90 days, and your warranty
gets shortened to those 90 days upon exchange. BenQ Canada does that
with their optical drives.
Thanks,
MCheu
Old January 31st 07, 08:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
MikeM

Today, 13 days after I took my faulty HDD into the Harvey Normen tech
bay, I waited close to an hour to be told that Seagate had notified
them today that it is ok to send my drive in for replacement. It will
only take another 1 1/2 weeks to get the new one, if they don't
forget to send it away tomorrow and nothing goes wrong. Nearly a month
seems a long time to me for a return.

Old February 1st 07, 03:05 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
James T. White

"MikeM" wrote in message

Today, 13 days after I took my faulty HDD into the Harvey Normen tech
bay, I waited close to an hour to be told that Seagate had notified
them today that it is ok to send my drive in for replacement. It will
only take another 1 1/2 weeks to get the new one, if they don't
forget to send it away tomorrow and nothing goes wrong. Nearly a month
seems a long time to me for a return.

Sounds like your problem is with your local shop and not Seagate.

--
James T. White