Need Help to Boot From DVD drive

Old January 28th 07, 01:12 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Jethro

Default Need Help to Boot From DVD drive

On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 08:24:55 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Jethro wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jethro wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jethro wrote:

I am pretty sure I have booted from this DVD drive in the past, but
now I cannot. In fact, I know I did - else how could I have installed
XP in the first place. I wanted to verify that a disk I just made was
bootable, and I find that the boot-up process is not even looking for
a bootable disk. When I checked the BIOS, the drive is nowhere to
be seen. Yet after WXP comes up, My Computer shows it just fine.
And I can use it to make a disk as well as read a disk.

I have examined the BIOS, and see no option whereby booting from
disk is 'suppressed'. In fact, the drive is not even shown in the BIOS for
some reason. Of course that must be the problem causing me to not be
able to boot from that drive. I can't add it to the BIOS boot sequence.

Have you got that drive type entry set to AUTO or to NONE ?

If its set to AUTO as it should be, try with just that
drive on the ribbon cable its on and check its jumpers.

The drive is a double-layer New Technology 8.5G drive.
The BIOS apparently is FASTRAK 378 V100.0.37.

What could be causing this?

Usually you dont have the drive type entry set to AUTO.

Can be because it doesnt pair with something
else on the particular ribbon cable properly.

This is pretty wild.

Nope. You've just got the drive type entry set to NONE.

I had a boot HDD as primary IDE master.
I had a second HDD as secondary IDE master.
I had the DVD drive as secondary IDE slave.
There was no primary IDE slave.

Thats fine, but you likely just have the drive type entry for the secondary slave set to NONE.

As I said before, the all the drives had been working fine
but then I discovered that I could not boot from the DVD
drive nor could I find the DVD drive in the BIOS at all.

Likely because you have the secondary slave drive type set to NONE.

I first removed the second HDD from the machine entirely
and changed the DVD drive to secondary IDE master.
It worked fine - Showed in the BIOS and it was bootable.

Because the secondary master drive type is AUTO and the DVD
drive is no longer on the drive type entry that is set to NONE.

I next replaced the second HDD into the system as secondary
IDE slave. Not only did the DVD drive stop working, the second
HDD didn't work either - neither was recognized in the BIOS at all.

Likely because the jumpering now isnt correct.

I next moved the second HDD to primary IDE slave. It worked
just fine, as did the DVD drive. The DVD drive was bootable.

Because the drives have AUTO drive type entrys.

Just set the secondary slave drive type entry to
AUTO and it should work fine in the original config.

Having both HDD drives on the same IDE channel
did show a noticeably slower process speed however.

Dont believe it and that was the original config anyway.

Now I'm stuck.

No you arent, just set all the drive type entrys to AUTO.

Thanks for your ideas anyway.

XP does its own scan for drives and so can find what the BIOS cant.

All three drives (both HDDs and the DVD) are set to
AUTO in the BIOS in the last configuration above.

Yes, but what matters is whether all FOUR drive type
entrys are set to AUTO for the original config to work.

Thanks

I now have:

HDD C drive on primary master IDE
HDD D drive on secondary master IDE
DVD Drive E on primary slave IDE.
Nothing on secondary slave IDE.

All are AUTO

Everything works - even booting from DCD drive.

Thanks

Jethro
Old January 28th 07, 02:50 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rod Speed

Jethro wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 08:24:55 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Jethro wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jethro wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jethro wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the washup, too rare in my opinion.

Old January 28th 07, 12:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
1932

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Jethro wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 08:24:55 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Jethro wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jethro wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jethro wrote:

[...]

Got to give you 12 out of 10 there Rod, you just
didn`t give in g.

bw..

Old January 28th 07, 08:15 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rod Speed

1932 wrote:
"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Jethro wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jan 2007 08:24:55 +1100, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

Jethro wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jethro wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Jethro wrote:

[...]

I hardly ever do give up, even when the recipient doesnt want to hear |-)

Mostly for the others that are likely to be reading the thread or will read it later using
groups.google etc.