High-Pitched Whine

Old January 16th 07, 09:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
1932

Default High-Pitched Whine

"Grant Baxter" wrote in message
I recently put together an el-cheapo computer to play with Linux. It
is making a high-pitched sound that I just can't track down. The whine
changes tone when the monitor is being scrolled. I've tried two
different video cards and it happens the same way with both.

Some of the components a Giga-Byte GA-8VM800M-775, 2 sticks of
Ultra DDR memory, a fairly new HD, and a fairly new DVD burner (the HD
and DVD worked fine on another computer and made no noise).

It's the same type of whine I heard a while back in my buddy's lab. He
said it was due to a (loose?, worn out?) lamination on one of the
transformers in his experiment. I'm not saying that's what I think it
is, just that the whine sounds similar.

I know it's not much to go on, but where would you start looking?

Open the machine, and have a good listen inside.
You might be able to localise the noise.

Old January 16th 07, 10:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

Open the machine, and have a good listen inside.
You might be able to localise the noise.

May sound funny but it works...
just use a small rubber hose

one end in your ear...the other to "sniff" out the source

(I used that method for balancing those dual-SU carburetors way back in the
olden days )

Old January 17th 07, 02:23 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
1932

"philo" wrote in message

Open the machine, and have a good listen inside.
You might be able to localise the noise.

May sound funny but it works...
just use a small rubber hose

one end in your ear...the other to "sniff" out the source

(I used that method for balancing those dual-SU carburetors way back in
the
olden days )

I use it for 48 years in the motor trade.
Also used the screwdriver handle in the ear, for knocks
and ticks.

We had lotsa tricks in those days.
Oh for the good old days. g.

Old January 17th 07, 10:19 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

(I used that method for balancing those dual-SU carburetors way back in
the
olden days )

I use it for 48 years in the motor trade.
Also used the screwdriver handle in the ear, for knocks
and ticks.

We had lotsa tricks in those days.
Oh for the good old days. g.

Well I owned my '59 TR-3 from 1972 through 2002.

I used to joke around with people that it required one hour of repair work
for every hour I drove it.
Then, one day i actually did the math and found out things were considerably
worse!!!
Put it up for sale on ebay and got $262 more than I paid for it.
(Yes , not much for 30 years)

(Must have spent a small fortune to keep it running all those years )

I miss my '53 Chevy 3100
I did most of the repairs to it without needing any manuals...
everything about it was intuitively obvious...

Heck...today I wonder if I could even change a tire

Old January 18th 07, 11:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
1932

"philo" wrote in message
. ..

snipped some

I miss my '53 Chevy 3100
I did most of the repairs to it without needing any manuals...
everything about it was intuitively obvious...

Heck...today I wonder if I could even change a tire

I still think we`ve lived through the best time in history.
Things were Sane when we were young.
Now the world seems to be going Insane.

best wishes.

Old January 18th 07, 07:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rod Speed

1932 wrote
philo wrote

I miss my '53 Chevy 3100
I did most of the repairs to it without needing any manuals...
everything about it was intuitively obvious...

Heck...today I wonder if I could even change a tire

I still think we`ve lived through the best time in history.
Things were Sane when we were young.

Depends on when you were young. The 60s werent exactly sane.

Neither were the 50s in other ways.

Now the world seems to be going Insane.

The ancient greeks used to sit around in their togas
or whatever they wore and said the same thing.

Old January 18th 07, 11:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
philo

I still think we`ve lived through the best time in history.
Things were Sane when we were young.

Depends on when you were young. The 60s werent exactly sane.

Neither were the 50s in other ways.

Now the world seems to be going Insane.

The ancient greeks used to sit around in their togas
or whatever they wore and said the same thing.

As my friend, Ted_the_shrink once asked me:

"What ever happened to the good old days?"

I replied simply, "They have not yet come."