Bang for your Buck - Athlon 64 pin count

Old January 22nd 05, 09:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird

Default Bang for your Buck - Athlon 64 pin count

Is there a compelling reason (yet?) to go with the larger pin'd Socket
939 over the Socket 754 version of the Athlon 64s?

My current AMD chip is running 900MHz and doing ok for most things but
I'm getting together speck for the next one so I can give this one over
to server duties her at home.

I'll be wanting performance for A/V stuff like full screen video and of
course games from Id from time to time, does the FX version make it's
case in these arenas?

I'm TBerk
& I'm not the noob I've made myself out to be.

Thx in advance. ;])
Old January 23rd 05, 04:48 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
[email protected]

Here is an interesting article...Made me go out and get an Athlon 64
2800..

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=33&type=expert

Old January 23rd 05, 01:48 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird

T wrote:

Is there a compelling reason (yet?) to go with the larger pin'd Socket
939 over the Socket 754 version of the Athlon 64s?

My current AMD chip is running 900MHz and doing ok for most things but
I'm getting together speck for the next one so I can give this one over
to server duties her at home.

I'll be wanting performance for A/V stuff like full screen video and of
course games from Id from time to time, does the FX version make it's
case in these arenas?

I'm TBerk
& I'm not the noob I've made myself out to be.

Thx in advance. ;])

Your main question involves the pin configurations. Socket 754 will be
be stopped by most manufacturers as socket 939 models come into play.
For future proofing and upgrades go with the socket 939.

The socket 939 uses a different memory configuration and this article is
very good at explaining this:

http://www.tomshardware.com/cpu/20040601/

regards
Old January 23rd 05, 05:24 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 20:55:14 +0000, T wrote:

Is there a compelling reason (yet?) to go with the larger pin'd Socket 939
over the Socket 754 version of the Athlon 64s?

Not imo. One advantage is dual channel ram which only provides about a 3%
performance increase. The only other advantage would be if you need a
faster cpu than the 3700+. The best performance for the money is the A64
socket 754 3400+ at 2.4GHz which is the same clockspeed as the 939 4000+
which is more than 4 times the price.

http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm

Old January 23rd 05, 05:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 13:48:45 +0100, b wrote:

Your main question involves the pin configurations. Socket 754 will be be
stopped by most manufacturers as socket 939 models come into play. For
future proofing and upgrades go with the socket 939.

Socket 754 is by no means anywhere close to being stopped at this time.
AMD's latest roadmap show new cpu's for both 754 and 939 for release Q106.
Do you really think there won't be any boards for for the newer 754 cpu's.
There are also several new 754 boards in the works now just as there are
939. And since they both use the same chipsets, the 754 boards will have
the same capabilities as the 939 boards, less dual channel ram, which is
cpu conditional.

http://wesnewell.no-ip.com/cpu.htm

Old January 23rd 05, 07:07 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird

Wes Newell wrote:
On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 20:55:14 +0000, T wrote:

Is there a compelling reason (yet?) to go with the larger pin'd Socket 939
over the Socket 754 version of the Athlon 64s?

Not imo. One advantage is dual channel ram which only provides about a 3%
performance increase. The only other advantage would be if you need a
faster cpu than the 3700+. The best performance for the money is the A64
socket 754 3400+ at 2.4GHz which is the same clockspeed as the 939 4000+
which is more than 4 times the price.

In that case I'd rather have the AMD Athlon 3500 with the winchester
core and a 939 pin motherboard

Once again it boils down to price and what you can or can not afford. I
believe that anyone with an Athlon 64 CPU regardless of pin size will be
a winner. Of course to take full advantage of this chip we are all
waiting on the 64 bit version of windows and hopefully manufacturers
will follow with 64 bit drivers and software