AMD newsgroup for motherboards/cpu

Old December 20th 03, 07:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird

Default AMD newsgroup for motherboards/cpu

I believe you can ask your question right here. You perform video editing so
is this a hobby or do concentrate of heavy professional work like for a
business? If your budget has no limits then the FX-51 is what you need as
well as the best video card you can purchase. You should beef up to the
maximum amount of DDR ram your new system can handle to render images much
more quickly and reduce hard drive lag time. The AMD 64 and FX 51 are both
great CPUs so either choice is fine as long as the surrounding components
are of equal quality. However, I'm just a hobbyist and know a few
professionals and this seems to be their choice for home editing. There's
really good feedback here in this newsgroup so pay close attention to them.

regards

"Gordon Abbot" wrote in message
I do not want to be OT on this list so is there a newsgroup where I can
ask about the best combo of amd motherboard and cpu to build my own
system for video editing?

I have a 1.2 tbird which, thanks to your help, I understand I can
upgrade to 2.4, but after some thought, feel the mb is limited and would
rather build my own so it will take advantage of the amd 64 as well as
other new tech.

Or should I just ask here?

GA
--
My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.

Old December 21st 03, 07:57 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Wes Newell

On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 07:06:24 -0500, Gordon Abbot wrote:

Or should I just ask here?

While this reads as a .thunderbird group, it pretty muchs covers all
AMD cpu's and MB's. So ask away. be aware there's not a lot of people with
A64's yet though. To find out which cpu would be better for video editing
you should chack some sites that benchmark these programs. Almost all of
them do.

Old December 22nd 03, 02:31 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Gordon Abbot

B wrote:
[...]

Thanks- hobbiest but will be transferring loads of 8mm film to dvd so
want to do so as quickly as possible. Most of my time will be in real
time with the computer capturing the film and converting it to digital
(mpeg) format. Then editing, rendering and burning.

I would like a fast system that has the capacity for upgrading based on
current technology. I keep my computers going for about 5 years before
any radical change so am looking for a bit of stability over the first
few years.

I will be starting almost completely new, so need a case, powersupply,
motherboard, video card (looking at the ATI all in wonder for video
capture), cpu, the works. I have a 120 gig WD HD, sony dvd burner (but
will upgrade that in about 6 months).

Want firewire and usb2 and capacity to upgrade, so do not want anything
"built in" unless it is upgradeable.

GA

--
My address is spoofed, so do not reply directly.