P4P800SE cpu temps?

Old June 19th 04, 05:19 AM
zzipper

Default P4P800SE cpu temps?

Hi, I have just setup a P4 2.6C on a P4P800SE and I'm getting cpu temps that
don't make sense, much too low. In the bios, at idle it's showing 28.5C
right now. In Windows a few minutes ago Asus Probe (latest version) showed
17 degrees C. Speedfan, again the latest version, is showing low 20's C for
the processor. What is even stranger is that I've got Q-Fan enabled at
11/16, it' slowest setting. I'm using a stock Intel cooler which is adequate
but doesn't cool THAT well from previous experience. Do I have a sensor
thermistor problem or is this an issue with rev1004 of the bios? Even
overclocked to 3.0 I don't get much difference. The board temp is higher
than the cpu, usually 31 ro 32C. Any input would be appreciated, the board
is 3 days old and I can exchange it if needed. My Celeron 2400 on a P4G8X
Dlx runs hotter than this, either at standard speed or at 3200 (which is
what I usually run it at). I idle at 39C, hit 50C or so when at full
utilization.

Old June 19th 04, 11:53 AM
Kris

"zzipper" wrote:

Hi, I have just setup a P4 2.6C on a P4P800SE and I'm getting cpu temps that
don't make sense, much too low. In the bios, at idle it's showing 28.5C

My P4P800 SE has the opposite "problem".

Does anyone know where the "motherboard" probe is actually located on
the board?

All my Asus P4 boards previously have indicated very stable Asus probe
temperatures of no higher than mid-30C. The fastest processors were P4
2.4 fsb533 - non-HT.

M/bs were P4B533 and P4PE-X

Then a P4P-EX was used with a 2.67ghz cpu fasb533 - non-HT.
This gave cpu temperatures in the region of 46C. It was assumed the
temperature sensor was wrong or it was due to a different cpu
technology.

Now I have a P4P800 SE which is not only reports high temperatures -
but smells distinctly hot - possibly from the big chip heatsink
between the cpu & agp socket.

The P4P800 SE has a "Prescott" P4 3.0ghz fsb 800 and TwinX PC3200 low
latency 2x512mb.
Graphics is Asus 9570VTD 128 (Gefx 5900)

Windows XP HE

Psu is an Enermax 465 with twin large fans helping move air from round
the cpu.

Currently running with an open case.

Asus Probe readings:

On initial power-on today the M/B is 24C and cpu 35C

After running 3Dmark03
m/b 40C cpu 41C

The ambient temperature of the room seems to affect this combination
much more than it did previous ones.
Today is relatively cool (20C?)
On hot days (28C?) the cpu has been as high as 49C and the m/b 47C.

Have recently replaced the Intel supplied cpu heatsink with a
Coolermaster Aero4 running at its full speed of 3000rpm. The Intel fan
was running at about 3000 rpm on idle but literally screamed at
6000rpm when 3Dmark03 was running.
Old June 19th 04, 01:54 PM
zzipper

Well I was expecting something a bit higher for mine. For a Prescott, yours
sound about right, they run very hot compared to other P4 processors. Mine
is mounted in an Antec SLK2650BQE which has a side duct to draw cool air
direct to the cpu cooler and a 120mm rear exhaust fan. It's nice and cool
here in my basement which does help but my temps are just way too low from
my experience. At work I'm running a 3.0 with a stock Intel cooler on an
Intel board in a case similar to the one here (except that it's a lot
louder!) and my cpu temps are in the high 30's or higher under load, usually
no more than about 48C. Thats why seeing temps under 30C puzzles me.

"Kris" wrote in message
"zzipper" wrote:

[...]

CPU temps stable, then rising w/o load? S. Whitmore Homebuilt PC's 79 February 14th 05 05:42 AM
Case\CPU Temps Axel Beck Overclocking AMD Processors 7 October 9th 04 11:00 PM
System temps WayneM Homebuilt PC's 0 July 15th 04 07:36 PM
AI7 Temps & Water Cooling Considerations Jim Abit Motherboards 7 January 10th 04 05:28 AM
Pentium 4 2.4 temperatures Lou Pratt Homebuilt PC's 6 August 29th 03 01:17 AM