486 restore - format number not found

Old August 28th 04, 03:47 AM
metronid

Be patient with me I have to sort through everything
that you have said
I beleive the Leg 12Cd is an SX50 but that
is of no importance now

I am assuming the 66MHZ unit is ok
just the Leg12 CD

The format number for generic is usually
just the word generic

What is the number on the master CD 17xxxx

Are you able to boot with just the restore disk
no CD and get a CD driver recognition
The correct floppy for the 12CD is 142332

Elector has it on his site
Assuming the CDROM has not been changed

You arer talking Windows 311 master CD
If so you can also do a manual install off of
Master Cd

After the above info is replied to

"SV" wrote in message
I have a pair of 486 DX units that I'm trying to get in the hands of

someone
who can use them. One is a 66MHz machine (model BL 202?) that has all the
restore software w/ it. The second is a Legend 12CD 50 MHz machine.

Since
they are so close in speed, I wondered if I could restore the DX2-50 w/

the
software from the DX2-66. First I tried the format number from the 66 MHZ
machine - restored fine, but there is a config.sys error and no CD drivers
load. I went to the PriorityOne site, entered the serial number and, lo

and
behold, there's a format number listed on the materials list. I

reformatted
and tried again using that format # (555529) - I got a message saying that
format number wasn't found, so I used a generic one. Same error message

in
config.sys and no CD drivers loaded.

Does this mean that the CD likely doesn't contain the info for me to

restore
the 50 MHZ machine? Or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help.
JEFF

Old August 29th 04, 05:51 AM
metronid

I had a legend 10cd and 12cd
I thought they were both sx50
Ben has been saying for years that the model numbers
were meaningless
I guess the serial number is the main one to go by

I will use your date to update my database
Thank You

In any case
I have the Master CD for the legend 12CD
It is Windows 311 170210 and the CD

The 2 floppies are because
One is a restore floppy
One that is not labelled is the probably the one the restores the system
files
if the unit does not boot

It sounds like the CDROM driver loaded properly
Whether it is reading the CDROM
cr-563 is another thing
If it is working you will able to read a CD from DOS
If so I will proceed from there

This may take a few replies
it is bettter to go slow and just bash right in

I will send you a special boot floppy to check the cr 563 integrity

Send me your email address to

"SV" wrote in message
"metronid" wrote...
I beleive the Leg 12Cd is an SX50 but that
is of no importance now

Both of the screens that show CPU info list it as a DX2

I am assuming the 66MHZ unit is ok
just the Leg12 CD

Correct - the 50 MHz machine is the one in question

The format number for generic is usually
just the word generic

After I got the message about my format number not being found, I was

asked
if I wanted a generic format - when I selected Y, it proceeded on its own
from there

What is the number on the master CD 17xxxx

170662

Are you able to boot with just the restore disk
no CD and get a CD driver recognition

Yes, during the bootup, it says it's DOS 6.20, restore version 2.2 and it
finds the CD-563 CD ROM drive and loads the driver and makes it drive Y:

The correct floppy for the 12CD is 142332

I have 2 floppies - one just restores the Command.com file and DOS

directory
to the hard drive and is not numbered; the other is the Win 3.11 recovery
disk - BPCS# 142417. That floppy boots everything fine and allows me to
start the restore - the tripping point is apparently either I'm using a
wrong format # or the format # I have isn't loadable from that CD.

Elector has it on his site

What is the address for that?

Assuming the CDROM has not been changed

it appears to be original

Old September 5th 04, 07:53 AM
SV

I will send you a special boot floppy to check the cr 563 integrity

Thanks for the help. I will wait to hear back from you on the CD.