Whet /Drsytone comaprisons?

Old January 18th 04, 08:23 PM
Karolus des Reyches197

Thanks a lot for the fine explanation.

I presently have the AMD 1100, 512 MB SDRAM, two 80 GHZ drives (1 internal,
1 external) CD reader, CD writer,Cardreader.

Windows XP, word, OE, and various programs to process digital photos and
movies (the latter in the very beginning stages).

I have a Radeon 5000 card (18 months old) and would need to upgrade that
too.

Most of my time is spent in

E-mails
Newsgroups-computers and computer related
Stocks and analysis
Word
Doing newsletters for voluntary org..
Excel
Image photo processing
and editing, printing of final photos.

That is not all but quickly comes to my mind.

NOW, what is it you recommend?

Thanks in advance

Old January 19th 04, 02:21 AM
Jim Macklin

BTW, 80 GHZ drives???

Maybe 80 GB drives!

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message

| I presently have the AMD 1100, 512 MB SDRAM, two 80 GHZ
drives (1
| internal,
| 1 external) CD reader, CD writer,Cardreader.
|
| Windows XP, word, OE, and various programs to process
digital photos and
| movies (the latter in the very beginning stages).
|
| I have a Radeon 5000 card (18 months old) and would need
to upgrade that
| too.
|
| Most of my time is spent in
|
| E-mails
| Newsgroups-computers and computer related
| Stocks and analysis
| Word
| Doing newsletters for voluntary org..
| Excel
| Image photo processing
| and editing, printing of final photos.
|
| That is not all but quickly comes to my mind.
|
| NOW, what is it you recommend?
|

| For all but the last almost anything would have done.
Once the photo
| edditing comes into play you need a fast computer with
lots of ram. If you

Old January 19th 04, 03:15 AM
Karolus des Reyches197

Right, 80 GB drives of course.

Old January 19th 04, 11:45 AM
Kevin Lawton

Karolus des Reyches197 wrote:
| Thanks a lot for the fine explanation.
|
| I presently have the AMD 1100, 512 MB SDRAM, two 80 GHZ drives (1
| internal, 1 external) CD reader, CD writer,Cardreader.
|
| Windows XP, word, OE, and various programs to process digital photos
| and movies (the latter in the very beginning stages).
|
| I have a Radeon 5000 card (18 months old) and would need to upgrade
| that too.
|
| Most of my time is spent in
|
| E-mails
| Newsgroups-computers and computer related
| Stocks and analysis
| Word
| Doing newsletters for voluntary org..
| Excel
| Image photo processing
| and editing, printing of final photos.
|
| That is not all but quickly comes to my mind.
|
| NOW, what is it you recommend?
|
| Thanks in advance

You'll probably find the AMD 1100 fine for most of your Apps except for
the image processing which is likely to be s--l--o--w.
I tend to upgrade my main machine to be one step behind 'leading edge' as
that is where the best value for money comes in.
Currently, you can get an AMD XP2400 plus a decent suitable m/board
(Gigabyte, Asus, etc) for less than half it would cost you to go 3 GHz. In
practise, you won't really notice much difference between them unless you
spend your whole life benchmark testing. Give it something like 1 Gb of
PC2700 333 MHz DDR RAM and you'll have a system which can edit photos with
the best of them. Should be more than adequate for getting started with
video editing when you want to try that as well.
Your Radeon 5000 might be far from 'leading edge', but that doesn't mean
it won't do the job.
Most of the latest ATI and nVidia graphics cards give you fantastic 3D
acceleration - but you're not using 3D, so why pay for it ?
Might be best to see how the Radeon performs in a better system, and find
out what you need to improve about it.
If you don't need 3D, then image quality and a choice of outputs might be
your priorities. My own preference in this case would be to look at the
Matrox range, as these have some of the finest 2D quality you can get. Nice
stable drivers, too.
I notice that you are using Windows XP. This can use a significant of
system resources - and thus soak up some performance - if you have all the
bells-and-whistles and eye-candy enabled. Configuring XP to run 'lean and
mean' without so much of the extras can help performance.
Kevin.

Old January 19th 04, 04:23 PM
Karolus des Reyches197

I thank you for the fine feedback. I needed just that. I was leaning first
to INTEL, then AMD 3000, but reading above I am now almost certain to go to
AMD 2400, 1 GB of PC 2400 RAM and see how that is with the existing Graphics
card. You are right. The price drop is tremendous this way. Almost half.

Thanks

Karl

Old January 20th 04, 02:36 PM
Kevin Lawton

Karolus des Reyches197 wrote:
| I thank you for the fine feedback. I needed just that. I was leaning
| first to INTEL, then AMD 3000, but reading above I am now almost
| certain to go to AMD 2400, 1 GB of PC 2400 RAM and see how that is
| with the existing Graphics card. You are right. The price drop is
| tremendous this way. Almost half.

You're welcome.
Suggest you go for a good quality m/board and the fastest memory it will
take.
There is no need to worry about running memory at the same speed as the
processor FSB on modern m/boards - they can handle the difference without
introducing wait states.
Kevin.

| Thanks
|
| Karl
| "Kevin Lawton" wrote in message
|| Karolus des Reyches197 wrote:
|| | Thanks a lot for the fine explanation.
|| |
|| | I presently have the AMD 1100, 512 MB SDRAM, two 80 GHZ drives (1
|| | internal, 1 external) CD reader, CD writer,Cardreader.
|| |
|| | Windows XP, word, OE, and various programs to process digital
|| photos | and movies (the latter in the very beginning stages).
|| |
|| | I have a Radeon 5000 card (18 months old) and would need to
|| upgrade | that too.
|| |
|| | Most of my time is spent in
|| |
|| | E-mails
|| | Newsgroups-computers and computer related
|| | Stocks and analysis
|| | Word
|| | Doing newsletters for voluntary org..
|| | Excel
|| | Image photo processing
|| | and editing, printing of final photos.
|| |
|| | That is not all but quickly comes to my mind.
|| |
|| | NOW, what is it you recommend?
|| |

Old January 20th 04, 04:57 PM
Karolus des Reyches197

I was thinking about the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe MB.

Any better suggestions?

Karl
"Kevin Lawton" wrote in message
Karolus des Reyches197 wrote:
| I thank you for the fine feedback. I needed just that. I was leaning
| first to INTEL, then AMD 3000, but reading above I am now almost
| certain to go to AMD 2400, 1 GB of PC 2400 RAM and see how that is
| with the existing Graphics card. You are right. The price drop is
| tremendous this way. Almost half.

You're welcome.
Suggest you go for a good quality m/board and the fastest memory it will
take.
There is no need to worry about running memory at the same speed as the
processor FSB on modern m/boards - they can handle the difference without
introducing wait states.
Kevin.

| Thanks
|
| Karl
| "Kevin Lawton" wrote in message
|| Karolus des Reyches197 wrote:
|| | Thanks a lot for the fine explanation.
|| |
|| | I presently have the AMD 1100, 512 MB SDRAM, two 80 GHZ drives (1
|| | internal, 1 external) CD reader, CD writer,Cardreader.
|| |
|| | Windows XP, word, OE, and various programs to process digital
|| photos | and movies (the latter in the very beginning stages).
|| |
|| | I have a Radeon 5000 card (18 months old) and would need to
|| upgrade | that too.
|| |
|| | Most of my time is spent in
|| |
|| | E-mails
|| | Newsgroups-computers and computer related
|| | Stocks and analysis
|| | Word
|| | Doing newsletters for voluntary org..
|| | Excel
|| | Image photo processing
|| | and editing, printing of final photos.
|| |
|| | That is not all but quickly comes to my mind.
|| |
|| | NOW, what is it you recommend?
|| |

Old January 20th 04, 06:50 PM
Kevin Lawton

Karolus des Reyches197 wrote:
| I was thinking about the ASUS A7N8X Deluxe MB.
|
| Any better suggestions?

I haven't used ASUS m/boards so much in the past, but they are well known
all over for quality (3-year warranty !). The A7N8X seems to have loads of
very good features and will take up to DDR400 = PC3200 RAM. Their 'Q-fan'
fan speed control idea seems a good one as well. It looks like it should
serve you well for the future as well with 8x AGP and serial ATA.
The nVidia chipset has had plenty of good reviews.
If you have had good experiences with ASUS in the past, or have had a few
recommendations, then I'd say 'go for it' - even though I tend to use the
Gigabyte GA-7VRXP and GA-7VAXP myself.
Kevin.