Sound chipset on Abit NF7-S

Old October 1st 03, 05:31 PM
Morgan

But, for those people that need to, could you leave the SB card in and use
the Gameport...?

--
Regards

Morgan

Old October 1st 03, 07:14 PM
John_2001

"better"?
If you connect it to a DD 5.1 surround system and arn't plagued by clicks
and pops too much it's fantastic. If you connect via analogue then you can
get awful problems resuting from the crap realtek DAC.

what do you mean by clicks and pops?

On the other hand if EAX is your thing then nothing beats creative. But
creative Live cards have clicks and pops in non-intel boards such as VIA,
and this is a non intel board.

What is EAX? I use sound card mostly for games and MP3

Old October 1st 03, 07:25 PM
John_2001

video.. I can't speak for this particular chip as i've not heard it.. but
other 5.1 onboard sound chips have been low quality.. these chips are
usually high on 'features' (to sell the board) like 5.1 and spdif out

etc..
but low on quality.. despite what some people think all 5.1 sound cards
don't sound the same.. and a good soundcard (like an audigy or audigy2)

will
always sound better even with an analogue out than a cheap card with

digital
out.

I've use Cambridge SoundWorks speakers, and I think I'll continue to use
them.
They have 4 speakers (sattelite) + Subwofer.
The subwofer has actice amplifier and it's connected on audio out on my
sound card.
Is that analog or digital connection? What is the other one than?
Will I hear the differents between SoundStorm and Creative Labs Live sound?
Can I even hear 5.1 sound on my speakers?

tnx.

Old October 1st 03, 09:37 PM
dr_hardwrae

"John_2001" wrote in message
[...]

Yes; IMHO, the on-board sound is superior. YMMV.

Can I even hear 5.1 sound on my speakers?

With the on-board sound and your 4.1 speaker system (I have a 4.1 Logitech
speaker system), 5.1 is mixed down to 4.1. There is a seperate output for
the center channel and subwoofer, but you need a center channel speaker (and
amplifier) to hear true 5.1 sound.

tnx.

Old October 2nd 03, 10:11 AM
John Russell

"dr_hardwrae" wrote in message
t...

"John_2001" wrote in message
In few months I'll buy MB ABIT NF7-S with Sound SoundStorm 5.1 chipset,

and
Barton 2500+
Now I have P3, ASUS motherboard and Creative Labs Live 1024 sound card

with
3D Surround.
Is it SoundStorm chipset better than my old SB Creative Labs sound card?
Can I continue to use my old SB CL on my new motherboard?

tnx

I have the NF7-S and have had a SB live 5.1 card in it. I have made a
direct comparison and the on-board (analog) sound is better than the SB

Live
5.1; I have removed the card and have been using the on-board sound since,
as it is far superior.

No, you can't use both the on-board sound and the sound card; it must be

one
or the other.

I have my Santa Cruz installed to use the gameport. Both cards are active in
Device Manager. You need to use Control Panel to set up your system to use
which device you want for output,input and midi. In my case I use the Santa
Cruz for the mic input as I suffer from the noise on analog caused by the
poor anlog design on the 1.x boards, and the crap realtec codec chip which
handles analog audio.

Old October 2nd 03, 10:17 AM
John Russell

"John_2001" wrote in message

"better"?
If you connect it to a DD 5.1 surround system and arn't plagued by

clicks
and pops too much it's fantastic. If you connect via analogue then you

can
get awful problems resuting from the crap realtek DAC.

what do you mean by clicks and pops?

Go to nforcershq.com and see all the postings about people wanting new
drivers to solve the clicks and pops. Basically you don't just get the sound
you also get "clicks" and "pops" along with the sound, in my case usually
when sounds start and stop.

On the other hand if EAX is your thing then nothing beats creative. But
creative Live cards have clicks and pops in non-intel boards such as

VIA,
and this is a non intel board.

What is EAX? I use sound card mostly for games and MP3

EAX is creatives system for allowing games to create enviroment effects,
such as echo. All cards should support EAX as it's now part of DirectX. Most
reviews still find the EAX effects produced sound best on creative cards.
Many gamers who migrate from creative to other products usually complain
about the poorer EAX.

Old October 2nd 03, 10:45 AM
Alan

John:

I don't know if this will help, but I get clicks and pops from my Denon
receiver and my Yamaha receiver. Both are high end Home theatre 7.1 and 5.1
receivers that amplify Digital Sound and they also offer DSP (Digital Sound
Processing).

It is only when I enable DSP that they produce these pops and clicks, which
is real annoying. Try to discontinue it's use for pure digital sound, (DSP
is the sound hall, rock concert etc. settings) you might find that it clears
the problem. I don't have it turned on with mine, and I get absolute clean
sound, no pops or clicks, and I have not upgraded any drivers from the
original disk.

Alan

Old October 2nd 03, 03:33 PM
John Russell

"Alan" wrote in message
. cable.rogers.com...
[...]

Nice idea, but unfortunately most people with the problem are using analog,
and I'm not using DSP on my DD5.1 decoder anyway.