cabled CMOS battery

Old August 29th 13, 07:29 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Daniels[_4_]

Default cabled CMOS battery

My XPS M1330 has a CMOS battery consisting of
a "coin" battery gripped by a vinyl sleeve and
connected to 3 wires which terminate in a small
plug. Dell no longer stocks the item (part no. NX131),
and all the retail outlets only have the "coin" - a
lithium battery designated CR-2032. Before I go the
eBay route, I'd like to know if the vinyl sleeve can be
cut so that the old "coin" can be slipped out and a
new "coin" slipped in and the vinyl sleeve resealed.
Does anybody know of some cute technique to do
this?

*TimDaniels*
Old August 29th 13, 03:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve Urbach

On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 23:29:11 -0700, "Timothy Daniels"
wrote:

My XPS M1330 has a CMOS battery consisting of
a "coin" battery gripped by a vinyl sleeve and
connected to 3 wires which terminate in a small
plug. Dell no longer stocks the item (part no. NX131),
and all the retail outlets only have the "coin" - a
lithium battery designated CR-2032. Before I go the
eBay route, I'd like to know if the vinyl sleeve can be
cut so that the old "coin" can be slipped out and a
new "coin" slipped in and the vinyl sleeve resealed.
Does anybody know of some cute technique to do
this?

*TimDaniels*

You will probably find that the leads are bonded (spot weld) to the coin
Got enough room and a soldering iron? Solder the existing leads to a COIN
Battery HOLDER (do not heat a battery, it may explode)...

But this may not work. 3 LEADS for 1 coin???? + - and what?
Old August 29th 13, 05:56 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

wrote:

My XPS M1330 has a CMOS battery consisting of
a "coin" battery gripped by a vinyl sleeve and
connected to 3 wires which terminate in a small
plug. Dell no longer stocks the item (part no. NX131),
and all the retail outlets only have the "coin" - a
lithium battery designated CR-2032. Before I go the
eBay route, I'd like to know if the vinyl sleeve can be
cut so that the old "coin" can be slipped out and a
new "coin" slipped in and the vinyl sleeve resealed.
Does anybody know of some cute technique to do
this?

*TimDaniels*

You will probably find that the leads are bonded (spot weld) to the coin
Got enough room and a soldering iron? Solder the existing leads to a COIN
Battery HOLDER (do not heat a battery, it may explode)...

But this may not work. 3 LEADS for 1 coin???? + - and what?

Buy a "tapped" coin battery - solder the wires on, and slip a chunk
of heat shrink tube over the battery - that is USUALLY what the "vinyl
sleave" actually is.
Old August 29th 13, 06:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Daniels[_4_]

"Steve Urbach" asked:
[ . . . ]
3 LEADS for 1 coin???? + - and what?

2 black wires from one side, 1 red wire from the other side,
all 3 going to a tiny plug.

*TimDaniels*

Old August 30th 13, 01:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Steve Urbach

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 10:15:37 -0700, "Timothy Daniels"
wrote:

"Steve Urbach" asked:
[ . . . ]
3 LEADS for 1 coin???? + - and what?

2 black wires from one side, 1 red wire from the other side,
all 3 going to a tiny plug.

*TimDaniels*

Sounds like you can reuse the wires and a coin holder.
Old September 4th 13, 06:31 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Thursday, August 29, 2013 2:29:11 AM UTC-4, Timothy Daniels wrote:
My XPS M1330 has a CMOS battery consisting of

a "coin" battery gripped by a vinyl sleeve and

connected to 3 wires which terminate in a small

plug. Dell no longer stocks the item (part no. NX131),

and all the retail outlets only have the "coin" - a

lithium battery designated CR-2032. Before I go the

eBay route, I'd like to know if the vinyl sleeve can be

cut so that the old "coin" can be slipped out and a

new "coin" slipped in and the vinyl sleeve resealed.

Does anybody know of some cute technique to do

this?

*TimDaniels*

Try eBay. Seriously. Search for the battery part # with eBay search. Dell, HPaq and all the rest dump their spare parts after awhile and 3rd party parts houses sell them. The XPS M1330 is old enough that Dell would no longer stock spares for it unless obligated to do so by a very rigid govt contract... Ben Myers
Old September 4th 13, 07:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Daniels[_4_]

"Ben Myers" advised:
Timothy Daniels wrote:
[...]

Yes, I've seen those parts on eBay. Some look like Dell's part,
some obviously aren't Dell's - being very thick and possibly not
fitting in the clearance provided in the laptop. But when you include
shipping cost, they cost 4 to 8 times the cost of a FRESH CR-2032
battery which I could buy at any local retailer. So they remain a last
resort.

*TimDaniels*

Old September 4th 13, 09:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 2:18:06 PM UTC-4, Timothy Daniels wrote:
"Ben Myers" advised:

Timothy Daniels wrote:

[...]

Well, here's one not on eBay. $5.95 + $1.99 shipping. Not outrageously priced.

http://www.cmosbatteries.net/item/de...3/lid=33454607

Lots of them on eBay for a reasonable price, even shipped from the US of A:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...ttery&_sacat=0

You will always pay more for a custom part than a commodity like a plain unadorned CR2032. FWIW, I have found some interchangability of these laptop CMOS batteries, between Dell models and even between Dell and IBM/Lenovo... Ben
Old September 5th 13, 02:59 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Timothy Daniels[_4_]

"Ben Myers" replied:
Timothy Daniels wrote:
"Ben Myers" advised:
Timothy Daniels wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the link to CMOSbatteries.com. I'll use them if my attempt with
a craft knife and electrician's tape doesn't work.

*TimDaniels*

Old September 5th 13, 07:08 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Wednesday, September 4, 2013 9:59:02 PM UTC-4, Timothy Daniels wrote:
"Ben Myers" replied:

Timothy Daniels wrote:

"Ben Myers" advised:

Timothy Daniels wrote:

[...]

You'd need stronger and more reliable connection between wire leads and the battery. Instead of electical tape, solder is the best choice... Ben Myers

CMOS battery User Overclocking 1 April 4th 07 02:21 AM
CMOS Battery Jack Daniels Acer Computers 3 February 3rd 07 05:22 AM
I need to know how to get to Armanda 7400 Cmos Battery to clear the Cmos. cen04543 Compaq Computers 4 February 20th 06 10:31 AM
cmos battery HankG General 9 December 27th 04 03:17 AM
cmos battery philo General 4 May 11th 04 12:46 PM