Any cheap PCI controller cards for SATA?

Old May 30th 06, 05:12 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc

Default Any cheap PCI controller cards for SATA?

I want to use a PCI controller card to let my old PC take a SATA hard
drive.

Most of the controller/adapter cards I have seen cost over £20. Surely
I can get one cheaper without stooping to "no-service" sellers like eBay
or the dodgy mail order outfits?

Has anyone seen a cheap SATA PCI-adapter from a decent seller?
Old May 30th 06, 11:15 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc

Jon D wrote:
I want to use a PCI controller card to let my old PC take a SATA
hard drive.

Most of the controller/adapter cards I have seen cost over £20.
Surely I can get one cheaper without stooping to "no-service"
sellers like eBay or the dodgy mail order outfits?

Has anyone seen a cheap SATA PCI-adapter from a decent seller?

Ebuyer does a perfectly capable little card for £13 - quickfind code: 48670
Define 'decent' seller' as you wish.... )

Old May 30th 06, 11:24 PM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc

Jon D wrote:
I want to use a PCI controller card to let my old PC take a SATA hard
drive.

Most of the controller/adapter cards I have seen cost over £20. Surely
I can get one cheaper without stooping to "no-service" sellers like eBay
or the dodgy mail order outfits?

Has anyone seen a cheap SATA PCI-adapter from a decent seller?

6.17 + VAT

http://www.cclonline.com/product-inf...actu rer_id=0

Very little info on what you're getting there, but it'd probably be
something based on the Silicon Image 3112 chipset.

Not all SATA drives work with all chips.. and it's a bit of a lottery
I'm afraid. My Seagate drive won't play with my inbuilt SATA controller
(3112 chip) but works perfectly with my PCI 3114 based card.

Regards

Jeff
Old May 31st 06, 10:43 AM posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc

On 30 May 2006, wrote:

Jon D wrote:
I want to use a PCI controller card to let my old PC take a SATA
hard drive.

Most of the controller/adapter cards I have seen cost over œ20.
Surely I can get one cheaper without stooping to "no-service"
sellers like eBay or the dodgy mail order outfits?

Has anyone seen a cheap SATA PCI-adapter from a decent seller?

6.17 + VAT

http://www.cclonline.com/product-inf...roduct_id=1363

&category_i
d=143&manufacturer_id=0

Very little info on what you're getting there, but it'd probably be
something based on the Silicon Image 3112 chipset.

Not all SATA drives work with all chips.. and it's a bit of a
lottery I'm afraid. My Seagate drive won't play with my inbuilt
SATA controller (3112 chip) but works perfectly with my PCI 3114
based card.

Weird that SIlicon Image makes two chips which are so incompatible.
Maybe it is the surrounding electronics that is different?