snapshot reserve space at aggregate level

Old February 7th 07, 07:48 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
Raju Mahala

Default snapshot reserve space at aggregate level

Start with DataOnatp 7G aggregate comes in picture so now raid groups
are part of aggregate instead of volume if we configure aggregate.
Earlier with traditional volume we reserve some percentage of space
out of the volume for snapshot and this is same case with flex volume
also. But aggregate also reserve some percentage of space for snapshot
at aggregate level.
So I have two question related to this snapshot reserve space at
aggregate level
1) Why it is reserved or can we use it for any purpose.
2) can we control this reserve percentage.

Old February 7th 07, 06:22 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Faeandar

On 6 Feb 2007 22:48:57 -0800, "Raju Mahala"
wrote:

Start with DataOnatp 7G aggregate comes in picture so now raid groups
are part of aggregate instead of volume if we configure aggregate.
Earlier with traditional volume we reserve some percentage of space
out of the volume for snapshot and this is same case with flex volume
also. But aggregate also reserve some percentage of space for snapshot
at aggregate level.
So I have two question related to this snapshot reserve space at
aggregate level
1) Why it is reserved or can we use it for any purpose.

It is primarily there for a full SnapRestore of the aggregate.
Otherwise it's mostly useless and wasted space.

2) can we control this reserve percentage.

Yes. We remove it completely. Set the schedule to 0 0 0, set the
reserve to 0, and turn nosnap on.

Look at 'snap' and 'aggr' commands. Most snap things involving the
aggregate use -A as an option.

~F