EMC SAN Question...

Old October 21st 03, 06:09 PM
Nicolas CHEVE

Le 21 Oct 2003 09:08:15 -0700
(Sean Cummins) a =E9crit:

Nicolas CHEVE wrote in message
... Le 20 Oct 2003
07:08:33 -0700
(Sean Cummins) a crit:

Actually Michael, Brocade does have an excellent CLI, and they also
have a Perl API. You may have to purchase the API Toolkit (you

should talk to your EMC rep about this). Either of these methods
would allow you to write your own scripts without invalidating
Brocade's support.
- Sean

=20
=20
Sean,
=20
You talk about a perl API for brocade switch.
Could you give me more informations about this ?
Do you have an URL about this ?
=20
THY
Nicolas

Nicolas,

Certainly. You can find some info at
http://www.brocade.com/products/api_scripting.jsp but there does not
appear to be any way to download the API from Brocade's public site.=20
There is a "Buy Now" button at the bottom of the page that directs you
to a course enrollment page, which states that you will be given
access to the API if you attend the course.

I obtained the API toolkit for free by attending one of Brocade's many
free seminars, so you may be able to get it there as well. I believe
you can also download it if you work for a partner company (and have a
partner login), and you MAY be able to get it if you have a support
contract (not sure about that one).

I would bet that if you just asked your Brocade (or EMC, or whoever
your primary vendor is) sales rep they'd probably give it to you as
well.

- Sean

Thank you Sean for the URL,

I will talk about the API to HP (my vendor).

By
Nicolas
Old November 8th 03, 12:33 PM
Jesper Monsted

"Michael" wrote in
:
Don't get any funny ideas

Hmm....that's unfortunate. The Java GUI and web interface that's used
to maintain the SAN leaves a lot to be desired. I had dreams of
performing batch updates etc. via command line scripts, but it looks
like those dreams have been nipped early. ;-)

Batch updates can be done with Fabric Manager, which will do a rolling
upgrade of your entire SAN(s).

I can HIGHLY recommend the BCFP (Brocade Certified Fabric Professional)
course, which shows you all you need to run a brocade SAN and teaches you a
lot of theory behind FC. If that's too much, go buy the "Building SANs with
Brocade" book from Syngress, ISBN 1-928994-30-X, which is an excellent
starter.

Now if i could only get my boss to let me switch all our EMC/McData gear to
brocade

--
/Jesper Monsted
Storage Administrator, TDC Services A/S, Denmark
Old November 8th 03, 12:36 PM
Jesper Monsted

"Mark" wrote in
:
Wrong. FabricOS 1.x, 2.x and 3.x are based on vxworks, but the 4.x
series (for the silkworm 12k and 3900's) is a realtime linux. It
works really well, too.

Wow! I never knew that :-) Wonder if it was a technical or financial
reason to switch ?

Technical - they ran out of features on vxworks and needed something they
could customize to their liking. Unfortunately, it comes at the price of
slightly longer boot times.

I'll have to have another look at the Brocades ... chances are slim at
the mo as it's all McData where I am.

Don't mix

Don't get any funny ideas

So no getting Quake to run then ? :-)

I think it's an ARM chip in those boxes and getting a Linux/ARM binary of
Quake might be hard

The 100 or 200 mhz cpu (3900 or 12000) should be enough, though