Hard Drive Miroring/Backup & Data Recovery Service

Old March 14th 05, 07:50 PM

Default Hard Drive Miroring/Backup & Data Recovery Service

My buddy lost his 80 gb HF two weeks ago,, with bunches of family pictures, his complete
movie base,, and all his music,, ect,,ect He backed up some of his music & pictures to
CD but his library had grown to be larger than one 700 MB cd,, so backups had slipped.

As his system was an older 2GHz, he decided to get a new 8400, 3.4 GHz, w/160 GB drive...

He would like to be able to schedule a mirror copy routine at 12 am, on to a redundant 160
mb drive. He uses XP as built, lets MS put things where it wants,, doesn't really know or
care to know where XP puts things. He just wants a complete backup,, and if it was
IPL'able by switching cables,, that would be great...

I an working to help him buy another 160 GB drive, but I'm at a loss for the software..

1)Any suggestions and/or antidotal stories about which packages work-don't, easy-hard,,
cheap-expensive???

2)The drive that went south,, he's wants to send it to a data recovery service to see if
the data can be salvaged.. Anyone have any suggestions about a commercial recover
service??

My system is the same age and the last time I looked, the anti-virus scan found 500K
files, with 8.4 GB of digital film,, I also need to do some pre-failure planning..

Thanks
Jim
An Old Parrot Head
In The Conch Republic
Just South of Reality

Old March 14th 05, 07:56 PM
Fixer

If you want to mirror the disks then you need some sort of RAID controller
PCI failing that software wise you could use VERITAS Backup software and as
for data recovery the main one is Ontrack google for the url they have a few
utils you can download and try to recover data yourself if the HDD is not
totally bolloxed
. ..

Old March 14th 05, 08:10 PM
Tom Scales

He doesn't need Raid, he needs unattended automatic backup.

www.syncback.com

I use it on all my machines. Freeware!

Tom
"Fixer" wrote in message
If you want to mirror the disks then you need some sort of RAID controller
PCI failing that software wise you could use VERITAS Backup software and
as for data recovery the main one is Ontrack google for the url they have
a few utils you can download and try to recover data yourself if the HDD
is not totally bolloxed
. ..

Old March 14th 05, 08:14 PM

Probably should have done a little home work,,

He would like to schedule an incremental Mirror(only backup what's changed,, but not RAID)
and an ability to restore selected files as needed,, on a 2nd hard file.

I prefer unattended 100% Image copy, including boot records to a 2nd hard file..

The old drive,, I played with it on a couple spare systems,, BIOS recognized it one time,
but we lost it before I could do any recovery,, alter that BIOS would not recognize it..

Thanks
Jim

Old March 14th 05, 08:15 PM
Christopher Muto

to me, backups mean having multiple copies from different points in time and
keeping those copies off site from the primary store of data. a tape backup
still prevails as the best value to achieve this level of backup but the
initial cost of a large capacity tape drive is high. a good alternative is
something like the 45/90gb iomega 'rev' drive. alternatives would be to
keep the data highly organized and then backed up to cds (about 700mb) or
dvds (about 4.5gb). a single copy can be maintained with the likes of an
external usb type hard drive like the maxtor 'one touch' series. finally,
depending on how important those lost photos are to your friend... check out
datasavers.com for the recovery of the data. it may cost $1,000 but it may
be worth it to your friend.

. ..

Old March 14th 05, 08:20 PM
HillBillyBuddhist

wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Fred Langa has laid out a very good backup strategy.

http://www.langa.com/backups/backups(1).htm

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.
Your mileage may vary.
See store for details.

Remove shoes to E-mail.

Old March 14th 05, 08:46 PM

Tom
Looks like you came through again,, I think I should skip the forum and just go to your
web page..

Thanks to all
Jim
An Old Parrot Head
In The Conch Republic
Just South of Reality

Old March 14th 05, 09:24 PM
John J. Burness

[...]

Second Copy 2000 (
http://www.centered.com/) is quite simple to use!

You can configure it to back up your data files to any suitable media (I
use a 2nd HDD).

HTH

Regards,
John
Old March 14th 05, 09:24 PM
Tom Scales

I am in the process of setting up Syncback to backup to my Brother's hard
drive in California (I'm in Florida) and he'll do the reverse. What are the
odds of a hurricane AND an earthquake in the same day?

Tom

Old March 14th 05, 10:07 PM

Tom
Are you networking yours & your brothers boxes??
Do you use encryption?
Does that eat bandwidth??

Tx
Jim