Recommend graphics card for this system?

Old October 30th 03, 10:21 AM
Darthy

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 05:54:34 -0500, "J.Clarke"
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 15:01:06 GMT
"jeffc" wrote:

"Darthy" wrote in message

3 - dump the modem if you have HiSpeed Interenet.

I do, but you're suggesting opening up my case and ripping out the
modem? For what purpose? thanks

Uses up a PCI slot and generally ties up an IRQ. If you're not using it
no point in keeping it. OTOH, if you're using it as a fax machine or
for voice mail or whatever then you need to hang on to it.

Yep... what he said!!

Also.. disable any PORTS not needed... such as the OLD Printer port
and Serial ports.. that frees up 2-3 additional IRQs for your system!

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old October 30th 03, 10:23 AM
Darthy

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 15:53:03 GMT, Andy wrote:

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:58:11 GMT, "jeffc" wrote:

I have a 5200 and I'd strongly suggest not getting it. :-) Save for a
better FX card, or get a Ti 4600. When I got mine it was replacing my
aging Voodoo5 card, and I didn't do my research. The FX line is the
newer line, but the 5200 is at the bottom of the FX barrel. It
doesn't perform as well as a Ti4600.

A TI4200 is FASTER than the 5200... and even faster than the
5600-Plain.

A friend of mine has the exact same PC as I do, (MB, CPU etc) The
only difference is the Video cards. He has a 4600, I have the 5200.
Halo runs MUCH better on his pc, than it does on mine. (using Halo
as an example, since it's new)
Andy

Can't refund the card...

Old October 30th 03, 05:13 PM
Deranged

Hi Darthy,

A few suggestions to add to the below...

Darthy wrote in message . ..
On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 17:10:02 -0500, "jeffc"
wrote:
Note that one of the things I don't like about this system is that there is
no integrated memory for the current graphics. It eats 32M of my system
memory that it reserves for graphics use. I'm assuming this will stop when
I stick in a new card.

All modern built-in-graphics suck up system memory. once you add a
REAL card to your system, you get the 32mb back.

-. Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
-. AMD AthlonT XP 2200+ Processor (1.800 GHz) with QuantiSpeedT
architecture
-. VIA KM 266
-. 60 GB HDD
-. 256 MB DDR (PC 2100)
-. 56K* ITU v.92 ready Fax/Modem
-. AC '97 Audio
-. S3 ProSavage8T integrated (1 AGP slot available for upgrade)

Upgrade recommendations:

1 - 256mb MORE RAM at least. Will make ALL the difference in the
world with WinXP-HOG OS.

2 - Buy a REAL sound card, SB-Live, SB-Audigy or Turtle beach... this
will give you another 5-15fps over built-in-audio. If it was an
NFORCE2 chipset, than this would be a NON-issue. $35~75.

Wouldn't it be better if u upgraded ur mobo to a nforce 2 chipset? ur
sound would be better, u wud get the Geforce 4 MX video chip (please
correct me if i am wrong)... the mobo would cost about $80-120
depending on whether u choose the vanilla version or the deluxe
version...

3 - dump the modem if you have HiSpeed Interenet.

4 - $80 deliverd : Ti4200-64mb version (Clocked faster than 128
version, even at same clock speed, 1-2 fps faster). DX8 card.

$150 = ATI 9600Pro, $200 = fx5700Ultra (sometimes faster than ATI)
$300 = 5900 Ultra

There is also the ATI 9600 SE which sports 64mb its for $129 plus
ships with a coupon to d/l half-life 2 when its released... worth
about $50... agreed u might not want the game but if u do then the
card costs just about $80 and is direct X 9 compliant... for $200 u
also have the Radeon 9600XT for $300 u now get the ATI radeon 9800 pro
(at best buy with mail-in discount coupon)...

Don't get ANY 256mb video cards... not worth $5.

I agree with the suggestion... so far not too many games take
advantage of 256mb memory on video cards.

Just one question... u haven't specified how much u want to spend on
the graphics card, it would be easier if u gave a budget to spend.

Hope this helps

Deranged
Old October 30th 03, 07:39 PM
Andy

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 10:23:48 GMT, Darthy
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 15:53:03 GMT, Andy wrote:

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:58:11 GMT, "jeffc" wrote:

I have a 5200 and I'd strongly suggest not getting it. :-) Save for a
better FX card, or get a Ti 4600. When I got mine it was replacing my
aging Voodoo5 card, and I didn't do my research. The FX line is the
newer line, but the 5200 is at the bottom of the FX barrel. It
doesn't perform as well as a Ti4600.

A TI4200 is FASTER than the 5200... and even faster than the
5600-Plain.

I didn't know that, just knew for a fact the 4600 was since I could
compare it with my friends system. (not that I don't believe you)
In fact it doesn't surprise me at all.

Can't refund the card...

Nah, been to long. :-( I'll replace it with a 5700 in a few months,
or my friend is thinking of getting the new 5950, and he said he'll
give me his 4600 card.
Andy