PCChips M848A ram speed question

Old December 30th 06, 12:49 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
San Diego Gent

Default PCChips M848A ram speed question

My old board died and I replaced it with a PCChips M848A - changed
nothing else. The problem is that the ram speed is autodetecting 166
and not the 333 that I had with the previous board. Can I set this
higher without doing harm? If so how?

Thanks in advance for any help. This is my first motherboard
replacement.

Phil

Old December 30th 06, 01:13 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Conor

In article . com, San
Diego Gent says...
My old board died and I replaced it with a PCChips M848A - changed
nothing else. The problem is that the ram speed is autodetecting 166
and not the 333 that I had with the previous board. Can I set this
higher without doing harm? If so how?

It's DDR RAM. DOUBLE Data rate. Guess what 2x166 is?

--
Conor

"You're not married,you haven't got a girlfriend and you've never seen
Star Trek? Good Lord!" - Patrick Stewart
Old December 30th 06, 01:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

San Diego Gent wrote:
My old board died and I replaced it with a PCChips M848A - changed
nothing else. The problem is that the ram speed is autodetecting 166
and not the 333 that I had with the previous board. Can I set this
higher without doing harm? If so how?

Thanks in advance for any help. This is my first motherboard
replacement.

Phil

The two products are likely using different units of measure. The
one showing "333" is DDR333 or dual data rate 333. That is a measure
of the number of million transfers per second. There are two transfers
per clock cycle, for dual data rate memory.

The "166" refers to the clock rate in megahertz. There are 166 million
clock cycles per second.

The two numbers, in fact, mean the same thing. Both memories are
running at the *same* speed. It is just the units of measure that
are different.
- Clock Period -
_______ _
_/ \_______/ Clock 166 million

_______ _______
_/ 1 \/ 2 \_ Two data values per clock
\_______/\_______/ DDR 333 million

The best thing to do, is compare systems using the same Windows
utility. A program like CPUZ for example (cpuid.com). That is
what overclockers use to verify their BIOS settings, from the
convenience of the Windows desktop.

HTH,
Paul
Old December 30th 06, 04:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
San Diego Gent

Paul wrote:
San Diego Gent wrote:
[...]

Thank you Paul for the comments and the referral to CPU-Z. Very
Helpful

Old December 30th 06, 04:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
San Diego Gent

Paul wrote:
San Diego Gent wrote:
[...]

Thank you Paul for both the comments and the referral to CPU-Z. Very
Helpful.
Phil

Ram Speed question Joe General 1 August 5th 06 08:39 AM
A8N-E & ATA vs SATA II speed question James Asus Motherboards 4 December 15th 05 10:05 PM
Question on RDRAM (Rambus) Speed Matching Steven O. General 0 January 7th 05 03:16 PM
rosewill 9600 memory speed question macowski Ati Videocards 2 November 20th 04 02:20 PM
Newbie: FSB speed question Joseph General 3 August 28th 03 11:51 PM