Xp 2800+ now running at 10.5 x 200 fsb is it better???

Old June 25th 05, 08:35 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
edrafp

Default Xp 2800+ now running at 10.5 x 200 fsb is it better???

I have a Xp 2800 (non barton) which should run at 2.25 Ghz and 333mhz
fsb, if you see my previous post last week i was haveing trouble
running it at this speed. For the last 3 days i have lowered the
multiplier to 10.5 and bumped up the fsb to 200mhz. So in effect my
FSB is now 400 and my processor running at 2.1 ghz. Am i getting
better performance with a higher fsb than i would have if my cpu ran
at 2.25ghz + 333 fsb??? My memory and motherboard are also running at
400mhz. Cooling does not seem to be a problem, my MB temp is about 32
and my cpu about 50.

Any advice would be great.

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/AMD-Th...pict57980.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=292884
Old June 26th 05, 03:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
uddarts

"edrafp" wrote:
I have a Xp 2800 (non barton) which should run at 2.25 Ghz and
333mhz fsb, if you see my previous post last week i was
haveing trouble running it at this speed. For the last 3 days
i have lowered the multiplier to 10.5 and bumped up the fsb to
200mhz. So in effect my FSB is now 400 and my processor
running at 2.1 ghz. Am i getting better performance with a
higher fsb than i would have if my cpu ran at 2.25ghz + 333
fsb??? My memory and motherboard are also running at 400mhz.
Cooling does not seem to be a problem, my MB temp is about 32
and my cpu about 50.

Any advice would be great.

glad your getting the hang of things. it nice you found the multi
adjustments.

try this:

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=36

install and run the 1m test. take note of the time, then reset the
computer to the old setting and compare. you’ll see things are better
with the new settings.

then you work at getting the score lower. being a via chip set you
don’t really want to go over the 200fsb. you can try adjusting the ram
timing to lower settings. you’ll need to raise the voltage on the ram
some. you’ll have to experiment and more than likely learn exactly
where the cmos jumper is.

when it appears to be stable, you start testing with.

http://www.memtest86.com/

and prime95 (watch your temps!!)

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

ud
Old June 26th 05, 03:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
uddarts

"uddarts" wrote:
glad your getting the hang of things. it nice you found the
multi adjustments.

try this:

http://files.extremeoverclocking.com/file.php?f=36

install and run the 1m test. take note of the time, then reset
the computer to the old setting and compare. you'll see things
are better with the new settings.

then you work at getting the score lower. being a via chip set
you don't really want to go over the 200fsb. you can try
adjusting the ram timing to lower settings. you'll need to
raise the voltage on the ram some. you'll have to experiment
and more than likely learn exactly where the cmos jumper is.

when it appears to be stable, you start testing with.

http://www.memtest86.com/

and prime95 (watch your temps!!)

http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

ud

just realised you were using the 10.5x200. you can also start working
on raising the multipliers. you will have to start increasing the
vcore at some point. right now you should beable to use 11x200 without
a hitch. that will get you running at a xp3200 speed. i would guess
through my experience you shoud get spi to run the 1m at about 47sec.

what is the stock vcore of your cpu?

ud