Ghosted a RAID5 cannot log-on

Old July 14th 03, 12:04 PM
Adysthemic

"J.Clarke" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 19:09:54 -0700
"Adysthemic" wrote:

"J.Clarke" wrote in message
On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 09:38:57 -0700
"Adysthemic" wrote:

Snipped
Have you followed the procedures at
?
John
No. It is the same hardware.Adysthemic

I thought you said you put 3 new drives in. That's not the same
hardware.

John,
Sure it is.Exactly the same,make model etc.I believe MS is talking
about a restore to a machine that has a different video
card,Motherboard,network card etc.The exact same make and model of
hard drive is not different hardware as I see it,just
mho,though.Thanks for looking into it,I need all the help I can find
on this.It would increase my confidence by leaps and bounds to know I
could restore an image if I screw up.I'm going to try again next
weekend,I'll post the results.The only thing I can think of is
rebuilding the array after the restore.If you find anything else I'd
sure appreciate the pointer,Adysthemic

Can't find it now, but Microsoft does have an article in the
knowledgebase somewhere that discusses the effects of moving a Windows
installation to a drive with a different serial number. There is a
security consequence and there is a corrective action--I got bitten by
this one a while back. Trouble is I didn't note the article number
anywhere.

I'll look through the KB.That sure would explain this behaviour.I have
though,ghosted and restored many win2k pro machines,and restored to bigger
hard drives of many different brands with no problem.Never tried ghosting
and restoring a server though.Adythemic

Old July 15th 03, 01:54 AM
Adysthemic

"J.Clarke" wrote in message

"Adysthemic" wrote:

Snipped
Have you followed the procedures at
http://support.microsoft.com/default...id=kb;en-us;24
9694
?
[...]

It's specific to server and has something to do with the way Active
Directory was implemented. There's a second security key in addition to
the SID, and that key is IIRC tied to the disk serial number, but I
can't remember what it's called--if I could then finding the article
would be easy.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Thanks John,
I seriously doubted you at first but you have me convinced enough to go
deeply searching,:), it seems to be the only thing at the moment that makes
any sense.I've never seen anything about win2k security being tied to unique
hardware id's,but heck the new XP is,after all.The KB article that you
posted the link to, seems to be focused on a complete hardware change.I
always have believed that same hardware meant identical components and not
unique serial numbers i.e. mac adresses, hard coded serials etc.I keep a
data base of my employers client images so restoring is even less hassle
than a sysprepped box .I can restore to any brand /size drive.I've restored
maybe 10 or so in the last year.Just delete from AD put the clone back on
the net rejoin domain,bingo,that is what I expected with the member
server.Seems though that nobody supports a raid 5 clone ,officially
anyway.But a hardware raid 5 should be transparent to Ghost I'd
think,Adysthemic

RAID5 Erik Janssen General 4 January 28th 05 10:34 AM
Max number of drives in RAID5 set Steve Christall Storage & Hardrives 3 January 10th 05 05:45 PM
120 gb is the Largest hard drive I can put in my 4550? David H. Lipman Dell Computers 65 December 11th 03 01:51 PM
Newbie storage questions... (RAID5, SANs, SCSI) David Sworder Storage & Hardrives 17 December 2nd 03 01:10 AM
Ghosted a RAID5 config successfully - questions on disk signature cyberpunk Storage (alternative) 2 July 9th 03 07:16 PM