Compaq 5000 Series - Price Check

Old January 26th 04, 06:00 PM
Nomad

Default Compaq 5000 Series - Price Check

Is $300 (Cdn) too much to pay for the following PC?

750 MHz AMDŽ Duron T Processor
64 MB 100 MHz SyncDRAM
30.0 GB 2 UltraDMA Hard Drive
40X Max CD-ROM Drive 3
nVIDIA T TNT2 T Vanta LT Graphics Card with 8 MB video memory

I realise it's a tad old now, but is it a fairly good price for (what will
be used as) a children's PC?

Old January 26th 04, 10:36 PM
Trai' La Trash

Nomad wrote:
Is $300 (Cdn) too much to pay for the following PC?

750 MHz AMDŽ Duron T Processor
64 MB 100 MHz SyncDRAM
30.0 GB 2 UltraDMA Hard Drive
40X Max CD-ROM Drive 3
nVIDIA T TNT2 T Vanta LT Graphics Card with 8 MB video memory

I realise it's a tad old now, but is it a fairly good price for (what
will be used as) a children's PC?

Well for $228.00 US if that's with a monitor it's a great deal for a kids
PC.
I would take the pc100 ram and throw it in the garbage though and use at
least pc133 128mb
$19
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...p?EdpNo=504536

Trai'

Old January 26th 04, 11:59 PM
Tom Scales

But why? The FSB of this machine is unlikely to be 133, so PC133 would be a
waste of money. More memory would be useful, but not different memory. 64MB
is not enough.

Tom

Old January 27th 04, 12:56 AM
Trai' La Trash

Tom Scales wrote: in typical troll fashion

Nomad wrote:
Is $300 (Cdn) too much to pay for the following PC?

750 MHz AMDŽ Duron T Processor
64 MB 100 MHz SyncDRAM
30.0 GB 2 UltraDMA Hard Drive
40X Max CD-ROM Drive 3
nVIDIA T TNT2 T Vanta LT Graphics Card with 8 MB video memory

I realise it's a tad old now, but is it a fairly good price for
(what will be used as) a children's PC?

Well for $228.00 US if that's with a monitor it's a great deal for
a kids PC.
I would take the pc100 ram and throw it in the garbage though and
use at least pc133 128mb
$19

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...p?EdpNo=504536

Trai'

Most people UPGRADE and not downgrade.
PC133 is more common now than PC100 and the memory can be used in the kids
next machine.

Folks keep in mind Tiger is just one site who sells memory and the best deal
I saw when I looked was $19.99 less $20 rebate for PC133 128MB
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...p?EdpNo=504536

Now if you follow Tom's advice at the same site you'll pay $31.99 less $20
rebate for PC100 128MB
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...p?EdpNo=504530

Conclusion: My way you save $12 over Tom's way and have a stick of memory
that is more current and can be used in another machine at a later date.

Conclusion #2 Tom's a Troll

PS Tom didn't anyone ever tell you not to TOP POST?

Old January 27th 04, 01:33 AM
Tom Scales

Kid's next machine? No current machine uses PC133 memory, they use DDR, so
buying PC133 is not protecting the investment at all.

Yes, I top post. Prefer it. So much easier to read. Bottom posting is for
people that just haven't grown with the times.

Re-read the RFC.

Old January 27th 04, 08:14 AM
donutbandit

"Tom Scales" wrote in
:

Yes, I top post. Prefer it. So much easier to read. Bottom posting is
for people that just haven't grown with the times.

So much easier to read. So much harder to keep up with the thread.

Growing with the times? I don't think so.

Would it surprise you to learn that most veteran Usenet users automatically
killfile top posters?

If you refuse to abide by the preferred format, how will anyone take what
you have to say seriously? Top posting reeks of "newbie" and "I don't give
a damn, so what?" posters.

I'm sure you'll find many other Outhouse Express users to sympathize with
you.

Old January 27th 04, 08:34 AM
David

Not to mention the fact that most newer PC133 modules are no longer backward
compatible with PC100 machines..

Old January 27th 04, 10:12 AM
Tom Scales

Feel free to killfile me. Properly TOP posted threads are easier to follow.

Let's hope you never go blind. When you use a screen reader to navigate
Windows, bottom posting makes threads literally impossible to follow.
Properly trimmed top posting can be navigated.

Download a copy of JAWS from www.hj.com. Blindfold yourself and try to use
your computer for a day. Then tell me whether you like bottom posting.

Tom
And, no, I'm not blind, but I support 600 users that are.
"donutbandit" wrote in message
"Tom Scales" wrote in
:

Yes, I top post. Prefer it. So much easier to read. Bottom posting is
for people that just haven't grown with the times.

So much easier to read. So much harder to keep up with the thread.

Growing with the times? I don't think so.

Would it surprise you to learn that most veteran Usenet users

automatically
killfile top posters?

If you refuse to abide by the preferred format, how will anyone take what
you have to say seriously? Top posting reeks of "newbie" and "I don't give
a damn, so what?" posters.

I'm sure you'll find many other Outhouse Express users to sympathize with
you.

A7N8X Deluxe -- False Memory Failure Reports? alan buckley Asus Motherboards 12 December 23rd 03 11:51 AM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 3 July 8th 03 05:14 AM
Presario 5000 Picture suddenly died completely (Compaq had no idea what casued it) Licensed to Quill Compaq Computers 1 July 6th 03 07:26 PM
Compaq FAQ Updated HH Compaq Computers 0 June 29th 03 03:58 PM