is Lenovo ibm?

Old November 7th 06, 06:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
dave

Default is Lenovo ibm?

I know this is a Dell group, but is Lenovo an IBM product? I thought I
saw that somewhere.
I'm in search of a new laptop and have seen this brand pop up and was
wondering if the quality is comparable to Dell?
Thanks
Dave

Old November 7th 06, 06:42 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Levine

dave wrote:

I know this is a Dell group, but is Lenovo an IBM product? I thought I
saw that somewhere.
I'm in search of a new laptop and have seen this brand pop up and was
wondering if the quality is comparable to Dell?
Thanks
Dave

Lenovo is the company that made ThinkPads for IBM. Now they simply put
their own name on them. Whether quality has changed since I don't know.

Bob
Old November 7th 06, 08:05 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"dave" wrote in message
ups.com...
I know this is a Dell group, but is Lenovo an IBM product? I thought I
saw that somewhere.
I'm in search of a new laptop and have seen this brand pop up and was
wondering if the quality is comparable to Dell?
Thanks
Dave

Lenovo, formerly Legend computers, is (or was) a nationalized Chinese
company that purchased IBM's PC division.

Others can comment on the quality, as I don't own or use one.

Old November 7th 06, 09:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Barry Watzman

I don't think that's correct. Lenovo did not make Thinkpads for IBM, or
at least not all of them. For the most part IBM made their own (there
may have been a few models made by others). Lenovo is the Chinese
company that bought out all of IBM's PC product line business. That
included the thinkpads, also desktops (which are not sold at retail but
which are sold to corporate customers) and some other products. Lenovo
bought the entire business, which included some manufacturing plants and
all of the employees in the PC business.

Old November 7th 06, 09:48 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Barry Watzman

There are no laptops that I know of that are made in the US at this
time. With the sale of the PC line to IBM, I don't even know of any
made by US firms (IBM made Thinkpads themselves (not necessarily all,
but many), but that doesn't mean that they did it in the US; in fact, at
one time Toshiba had laptop plants in the US but those were closed years
ago).

And I'm not aware of any US LCD plants. But there are US memory plants
(some owned by Japanese, German and Korean firms), and of course the
processors are Intel or AMD (although both firms have plants all over
the world).

Tom Scales wrote:
"Leythos" wrote in message
. ..
In article . com,
says...
I know this is a Dell group, but is Lenovo an IBM product? I thought I
saw that somewhere.
I'm in search of a new laptop and have seen this brand pop up and was
wondering if the quality is comparable to Dell?

They are a Chinese company that makes laptops for IBM. In some secure
facilities you can not operate one due to it being foreign made.

I have 8 of the T60's here, they seem to work well, have that cool
fingerprint reader, and work well as dumb terminals so far (for road
warriors).

--

I've got to ask. What laptop can you buy that is physically manufactured in
the US? How do you define US? Is it like a car, where there is a

What part of ANY laptop is actually MADE in the US.

I don't see many LCD plants here.

Tom

Old November 9th 06, 12:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
The Todal

"S.Lewis" wrote in message

"dave" wrote in message
ups.com...
I know this is a Dell group, but is Lenovo an IBM product? I thought I
saw that somewhere.
I'm in search of a new laptop and have seen this brand pop up and was
wondering if the quality is comparable to Dell?
Thanks
Dave

Lenovo, formerly Legend computers, is (or was) a nationalized Chinese
company that purchased IBM's PC division.

Others can comment on the quality, as I don't own or use one.

Having used Toshiba laptops for years (not bad, but they do seem to develop
a tendency to overheat and shut down) I bought a Thinkpad (branded as IBM
and Lenovo, because evidently Lenovo do want to trade on the IBM name) and
have been very satisfied with it. The design is well thought out, the
fingerprint reader is nifty and what impresses me most is the automated
system for updating the software. On request it will download a list of
software updates for BIOS, the drivers and the programs that were supplied
with the computer, and allow you to install them. With Toshiba you have to
go to a website, search for a list of updates and decide which ones you
think you need. Then each has to be installed manually. I think the same
applies to Dell.

I don't know much about Dell laptops but a family member has one and the
main irritation is that it is impossible to disable the touchpad even when
you prefer to use a mouse. That seems to me to signify poor attention to
detail on Dell's part.

Old November 9th 06, 03:57 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

With both Dell and IBM/Lenovo, you can download the service manuals for any
computer, and repair yourself, if you so desire. Try that with Toshiba, who
have a proprietary mentality... Ben Myers

On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 12:41:57 -0000, "The Todal" wrote:

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
.. .

ups.com...

Old November 9th 06, 04:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Jay B

you can also easily disable the touchpad on a dell laptop, not sure
where you got your information from!