Separating cpu from heat sink

Old December 5th 04, 01:50 PM
springer

Default Separating cpu from heat sink

In order to replace a cpu I need to unstuck it from its heat sink, but
its mounted with a black ‘glue’. What will dissolve the ‘black glue’
holding a cpu to a heat sink?
Old December 5th 04, 02:38 PM
Richard Hopkins

"springer" wrote in message...
In order to replace a cpu I need to unstuck it from its heat sink,
but its mounted with a black ‘glue’. What will dissolve the ‘black glue’
holding a cpu to a heat sink?

It might help if you told us what make and model the heatsink was, as we'd
then have a better idea what this stuff you're trying to describe actually
is.

If you're talking about the phase change thermal interface material on a
retail Intel CPU heatsink, the easiest way to get it off is to simply run
the CPU at high utilisation for a few minutes to get it nice and warm, shut
the system down and then gently twist the heatsink back and forth until the
bond starts to loosen and subsequently breaks.

Alternative methods involve using a hair dryer to heat the heatsink,
softening the thermal interface in the process; I'm sure you'll find a way
that works for you.
--

Richard Hopkins
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom