Master Recovery CD question

Old June 24th 08, 01:33 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Default Master Recovery CD question

Hi Gang !

I have always ignored the original PB Recovery CD's. Didn't care, no
interest.

But with all the posts about them, I have decided to "install" one soon.
Maybe. Just to check it out.

Does the Recovery CD *ONLY* work with SPECIFIC motherboards or machines it
was designed for? The Original Recovery Package that I have consists of :

Purple MS#X03-73800 Master Recovery CD
Yellow 172201-05 Companion CD

These are for Windows 98, and have Navigator Assistant (according to the
little booklet )

I have at least 20 PB computers, and this set is probably for one of them,
but I don't know which one.

So again, the question is: Will this set install ONLY on a specific
computer, or will it at least install on a configuration that is "close"?

I imagine some type of PB with at least 133MHz or above, and 32 meg ram or
above, with 3 or 4 gig or above should allow an install, provided the
motherboard chipset is correct, and the video driver and sound driver ( and
others ) are correct for the motherboard and installed cards. This set will
"probably" require or be compatible with a later USB motherboard.

Thanks !

bobwatts

--
boBWatts®©
EartH

Old June 24th 08, 01:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Default Correction

Purple MS#X03-73800 Master Recovery CD
Yellow 172201-05 Companion CD

Purple Chrome: 172209-00

Old June 24th 08, 07:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
[email protected]

Hi Bob

To answer your question, from my experience the PB restore CD
only works with a PB system. Now, with regard to being specific to "a
particuilar motherboasrd", that has not been my experience. I have
acquired Win 98 Master CD's from a Packard Bell computer with one type
of motherboard and they have worked fine on a different PB computer
altogether.... I think the Master restore process looks for something
in the BIOS or o the motherboard that is from PB. The same goes for
the PB Win 95 Master CD's. specifically one that came with a different
motherboard and restore CD diskette set. Don't forget the restore
diskette/ Not having the right one/combination will stop you in your
tracks.

Bill .
Old June 24th 08, 11:25 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
metronid

On Jun 24, 2:01*pm, wrote:
Hi Bob

* * * *To answer your question, *from my experience the PB restore CD
only works with a PB system. Now, with regard to being specific to "a
particuilar motherboasrd", that has not been my experience. I have
acquired Win 98 Master CD's from a Packard Bell computer with one type
of motherboard *and they have worked fine on a different PB computer
altogether.... I think the Master restore process looks for something
in the BIOS or o *the motherboard that is from PB. *The same goes for
the PB Win 95 Master CD's. specifically one that came with a different
motherboard and restore CD diskette set. Don't forget the restore
diskette/ Not having the right one/combination *will stop you in your
tracks.

Bill *.

Bill it will not stop me.
Old June 24th 08, 11:39 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
mc

On Jun 24, 6:25*pm, metronid wrote:
On Jun 24, 2:01*pm, wrote:

Hi Bob

* * * *To answer your question, *from my experience the PB restore CD
only works with a PB system. Now, with regard to being specific to "a
particuilar motherboasrd", that has not been my experience. I have
acquired Win 98 Master CD's from a Packard Bell computer with one type
of motherboard *and they have worked fine on a different PB computer
altogether.... I think the Master restore process looks for something
in the BIOS or o *the motherboard that is from PB. *The same goes for
the PB Win 95 Master CD's. specifically one that came with a different
motherboard and restore CD diskette set. Don't forget the restore
diskette/ Not having the right one/combination *will stop you in your
tracks.

Bill *.

* Bill it will not stop me.

This is true, the floppies metronoid made for me work great.. now if
someone can remember which nav version I have
on the D1000, this is a master cd I would like to find. The kid space
room has a little child talking in it and you can
see outer space effects thru the window like space ships...I love this
old stuff
mc
Old June 25th 08, 12:12 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
metronid

On Jun 24, 2:01*pm, wrote:

[...]

mc- Hide quoted text -

The serrial number could be helpful
Also praying helps
Old June 25th 08, 01:20 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
Robert E. Watts

Default Packard Bells of EartH

Hi Gang !

"metronid" wrote in message
On Jun 24, 2:01 pm, wrote:
Hi Bob

To answer your question, from my experience the PB restore CD
only works with a PB system. Now, with regard to being specific to "a
particuilar motherboasrd", that has not been my experience. I have
acquired Win 98 Master CD's from a Packard Bell computer with one type
of motherboard and they have worked fine on a different PB computer
altogether.... I think the Master restore process looks for something
in the BIOS or o the motherboard that is from PB. The same goes for
the PB Win 95 Master CD's. specifically one that came with a different
motherboard and restore CD diskette set. Don't forget the restore
diskette/ Not having the right one/combination will stop you in your
tracks.

Bill .

Hi Bill !

I was of course referring to installing on a PB system only. I remember
seeing "Navigator" and "Bob" from the "good 'ol days" when viewing Packard
Bell systems in stores, a looong time ago, in a Galaxy far far away. :-)

Bill it will not stop me.

And "met", I can't be stopped either. I know "ways around" this myself. :-)

bob

Old June 25th 08, 11:55 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.packardbell
metronid

On Jun 24, 8:20*pm, "Robert E. Watts" wrote:
Hi Gang !

"metronid" wrote in message

On Jun 24, 2:01 pm, wrote:

[...]

This is true nothing will stop you.
You seem to always come up with new inventive ideas.