i6000 Battery - Blinks Orange

Old January 4th 09, 12:22 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default i6000 Battery - Blinks Orange

When the battery is in the laptop, and whether or not the adapter is
used, the battery light located in the right hinge blinks rapidly four
times orange, then once green, and repeats. If you remove the
adapter, and hover over the battery status indicator in the system
tray, it shows charging around 93%. When you press the gel button on
the battery itself, to get a percent remaining charge reading, the 20,
60, and 100 indicator lights all blink three times green, in unison.

If I remove adapter power, with battery in, and let the laptop fully
discharge the battery, I still get the 20, 60, and 100 indicator
lights all blink three times green, in unison.

If I then put the battery and adapter back in, the system tray power
icon shows 10% battery remaining, and charging. The oragne and green
blinking continues.

Swapping adapters makes no difference.

Battery bad? It's four years old.

Thanks.
Old January 4th 09, 04:09 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

the battery sounds like it is defective and needs to be replaced.
a solid orange light or blinking orange light means the battery is low or
depleted.
a fast blinking orange light means the battery may be defective.
having only every other one of the five lights on the battery light (three
lights lit) on the battery test indicator confirms that the battery is
defective.
see page 64 of the user manual...
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...m/D5181bk5.pdf

Old January 4th 09, 05:00 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Boris[_5_]

"Christopher Muto" wrote in news:HIqdnQHhWM4aq_
:

http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...m/D5181bk5.pdf

Thanks, Christopher. I should have checked the manual, which I do have.
Guess it's time for a new battery.