software conflicts with Windows 98

Old February 11th 07, 12:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Smokesipper

Default software conflicts with Windows 98

A neighbor is a musician who sometimes copies hard-to-find CDs for other
musicians. He has a Compaq Presidio with two internal CD drives and
Windows 98.

He has always had trouble with the computer running very slow or hanging
up while copying CDs. A year ago a geek replaced his motherboard and
reloaded his hard drive. Still, both drives get errors reading a CD for
copying. He had the same problem when he tried a new drive.

It's little trouble for me to copy his CDs with my Mac. One advantage
is that CD burning is part of the OS X software. That precludes
incompatibility.

I don't know much about Windows. Could software conflicts cause the
problem? How does one solve it?
Old February 11th 07, 07:03 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

.. ----------------------
Mike Richter is a LIAR
-----------------------------------
Deirdre Straughan (Roxio) is a LIAR
-----------------------------------

Smokesipper wrote:

A neighbor is a musician who sometimes copies hard-to-find CDs for other
musicians. He has a Compaq Presidio with two internal CD drives and
Windows 98.

He has always had trouble with the computer running very slow or hanging
up while copying CDs. A year ago a geek replaced his motherboard and
reloaded his hard drive. Still, both drives get errors reading a CD for
copying. He had the same problem when he tried a new drive.

It's little trouble for me to copy his CDs with my Mac. One advantage
is that CD burning is part of the OS X software. That precludes
incompatibility.

I don't know much about Windows. Could software conflicts cause the
problem? How does one solve it?

What software is he using? Make and model of the cd drives? For
on-the-fly copying, the source drive's DAE speed should be roughly twice
that of write speed. Suggest copy/extract to hard disk first and then
burn.

Also check if the cd drives are on DMA:
Control Panel System Device Manager CDROM, double-click a cd
drive, Settings tab. Is DMA checked? Is the hard disk Ultra66?
..

Mike Richter - The Slimiest Lying Friggin SOB (UDF)

The slimiest lying friggin SOB Mike Richter has been for YEARS
blaming the UDF -- to weasel out the bugs of DirectCD:

UDF is a fragile format
UDF is an unreliable format

the format is very fragile and unreliable
The format is bad - it loses data
The fault is not with the software but with the format

There is an inherent problem in UDF
Packet writing is the same as UDF.

I have used only DCD for packet writing,
have had no problems due to the software
- but too many due to the format itself

to bother with it any longer.

But then again:

======================
From: Mike Richter (The Slimiest Lying Friggin ****)
Date: 5/4/06
Subject: UDF Has just bit me in the bum

I have used UDF for many years, but yesterday I had my first
corruption. I am now wondering whether to bother with UDF

First, your problem is not with UDF
======================

-------------------------------
Wow! What a slimy friggin SOB!
Mikey, you are The Slimiest Lying Friggin SOB!
Mike Richter, were you born with
"Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
--------------------------------------
Old February 11th 07, 05:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
[email protected]

probably many of the issues stem from the fact that your neighbor still using
windoze 98. long past time to upgrade to xp.

Old February 11th 07, 07:53 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Smokesipper

I'm waiting for a chance to check what smh said to check, but as you say
the problem could be with the OS.

They have also had lots of trouble with two printers and a scanner.
After reading your message I googled and found that with Windows 98,
Microsoft would often replace newer shared software with older versions,
never telling the user. As a result, peripherals depending on the newer
versions wouldn't work properly.

So if peripherals that once worked fine developed unexplained problems,
I wonder if the problem is Microsoft "updates."

The geek told them buying a new computer would be cheaper than upgrading
theirs. They rejected the idea. They just want their computer to work
as it used to.

I wonder if installing XP on a 1998 computer would open a can of worms.
(Like my using my 1988 player to play a CD my brother recorded.)

Old February 12th 07, 05:05 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Smokesipper

smh wrote:

Smokesipper wrote:
[...]

.

I copied your instructions and went over there, but it looks hopeless.
The husband says the wife doesn't want anybody else on their computer.
In the past she had called on me to fix problems.

Once she told me she couldn't find OE messages. She was using her
deleted-messages folder (whatever OE calls it) as her mail archive. It
contained a thousand assorted messages and she never really deleted
anything. She insisted on continuing to do it that way.

For the first time in eight years he knows how to download an audio file
to a folder of his choosing, find it, and play it. Until a few weeks
ago neither of them would listen when I explained the need to use folders.

Three years go I got things working with a utility to get rid of some
troublesome system files she had unwittingly downloaded. She continues
to download stuff she doesn't need or understand. I imagine that's why
things don't work right. The geek, who who is a manager in a chain of
PC repair places, is mystified that neither CD drive will play an audio
disk. I think he's unaware of how much junk she has downloaded since he
reinstalled the system.

The other day I went online to look something up for him. He says she's
mad because I used the MSN dialer to connect and disconnect. He says
her latest SOP is to connect with the dialer, then disconnect by logging
out of Windows. I think it would make better since to fix Windows.

Now the husband wants a standalone CD-DVD writer that will record from a
tape deck, a phonograph, a CD player, or a VCR without using a computer.
It has to cost less than $100.

Old February 12th 07, 10:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
smh

.. ----------------------
Mike Richter is a LIAR
-----------------------------------

Smokesipper wrote:
smh wrote:
Smokesipper wrote:
[...]

Wow! Wonder why you even bother.

If you have a chance, maybe clean out \Windows\Temp directory and then
empty Recycle Bin.
Old February 12th 07, 11:49 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Dave Cohen

Smokesipper wrote:
smh wrote:

Smokesipper wrote:
[...]

Friend, let me give you some advice - based on what you have said about
the wife stay away from that machine. If two weeks from now they lose a
document, the hd crashes or whatever, you'll get the blame. I've gone
that route. I don't know what their problem is, neither does anyone else
if they can't get hands on, but win98 will copy cd's fine.
Dave Cohen
Old February 14th 07, 11:20 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Smokesipper

Dave Cohen wrote:
Smokesipper wrote:
smh wrote:

Smokesipper wrote:
[...]

Sometimes Gary would try to play a song or do a scan. If it didn't
crash, the desktop was likely to become unusable, and Martha would call
me to fix it. I couldn't figure out how Gary could have caused the
problems. Apparently it was software conflicts. Martha insisted that
Gary must have monkeyed with it.

He may have misrepresented her in saying she didn't want me to touch her
computer because he resents my not getting into trouble like him. She
asked me to look at it today. When they tried to dial in, they would
get a message that the modem was in use. Maybe that's a drawback of
logging off while online. Restarting the computer fixed it.

For years I have urged him to bond his phone and power electrodes as the
code requires. Two years ago lightning hit both my chimneys while I was
online. I was lucky that the damage to my house was only $3500. My
computer equipment was fine. Across the street, he lost a modem, a
motherboard, a satellite receiver, and two phones. Again I recommended
bonding his electrodes.

A couple of days later they both told me I'd been wrong all those years.
They'd called a telephone repairman, and he'd said there was nothing
wrong with the phone grounding. Her brother is an executive with the
power company. She happened to ask him, and he said I was right. Then
the phone man admitted it. Still, Gary has not clamped a wire to his
two electrodes.

I and a lot of others told him a DVD recorder would not record CDs. The
Radio Shack clerk said his would, so that's the opinion Gary went with.
On the box it says it will not record CDs. He has decided to keep it
anyway. He doesn't let facts confuse him.

If their computer were mine I'd clean up the software so I could read
and write CDs. It's not my computer so it may be hopeless. They say
the geek won't return calls. He put in a lot of free work on their
system, and I think they second-guessed him.

A year ago I coughed up $400 for a Mac and haven't crashed since. I was
amazed that the OS took 15 gigs. An awful lot of functions are
included, and that precludes software conflicts. I don't know about
Windows, but in this OS, if another user logs on for himself, he can't
affect your files and settings. I need a foolproof computer like this.
I think my neighbors do, too.