USB/SATA HDD questions

Old November 13th 06, 09:35 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Homer

Default USB/SATA HDD questions

I have a Windows 2000 server, SP4. It is a Dell "edge" system which means
no possable way to install another internal HDD. Here is the problem:

I have data stored on an external 250GB USB2 hard drive. I then must daily
backup that data to yet another USB2 drive to take it off site. Problem is
it is so very slow it takes 30+ hours to do the backup. Not viable.

Motherboard has two unused SATA ports. I plugged in a 250GB SATA Western
Digital to one of them and just hung it outside the case, but the server
does not see the drive. I did preformat it NTFS the full 250GB using the WD
utility but with LBA enabled in the regestry, I should see it, correct?

One other question, once (IF) I get this working, SATA is hot pluggable,
correct?

Thanks for any help...

JohnS
Old November 14th 06, 12:46 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Homer wrote:

I have a Windows 2000 server, SP4. It is a Dell "edge" system which means
no possable way to install another internal HDD. Here is the problem:

I have data stored on an external 250GB USB2 hard drive. I then must
daily backup that data to yet another USB2 drive to take it off site.
Problem is it is so very slow it takes 30+ hours to do the backup.
Not viable.

Presumably that is only USB1.1, not USB2. It will be viable with USB2.

Motherboard has two unused SATA ports. I plugged in a 250GB SATA
Western Digital to one of them and just hung it outside the case,

You can get adapters that allow you to have the connectors on a
metal backpanel plate, and eSATA hard drive housings to do that better.

but the server does not see the drive. I did preformat it
NTFS the full 250GB using the WD utility but with LBA
enabled in the regestry, I should see it, correct?

Yes, and regardless of the LBA enabled too. The
worst a lack of that will do is have it show up as 137G.

Try it again using Disk Management instead of the WD ute.

One other question, once (IF) I get this
working, SATA is hot pluggable, correct?

Depends on the sata controller.

Old November 14th 06, 05:58 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
HomeR

"Rod Speed" wrote in
:

Homer wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your reply. Both ports and both drives are indeed USB2. I
have no clue why transferring 50 GB takes so long but I have tried two
differant drives and even changed cables. Still the same.

I read elsewhere in this group that Win2k server with SP4 and LBA enabled
in the reg will recognize a 250GB drive just fine. So, who is correct?
I know for a fact that my external USB's are 250 GB and Win2k sees all of
them just fine. Also, the SATA drive never shows up in disk management
so that won't work.

JohnS
Old November 14th 06, 06:35 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

HomeR wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Homer wrote

[...]

What are you doing the copy with ?

I read elsewhere in this group that Win2k server with SP4 and
LBA enabled in the reg will recognize a 250GB drive just fine.

Yes it will.

So, who is correct?

Both are, I just meant that it will be seen even without
the LargeLBA enabled, just at the wrong size.

I know for a fact that my external USB's are
250 GB and Win2k sees all of them just fine.

Yes, but those dont have the 48bit LBA problem.

Also, the SATA drive never shows up in disk management so that won't work.

Check if the sata ports are enabled in the bios. They can be
disabled there since that gives a quicker boot when it doesnt
have to search for sata drives very early in the boot phase.

Have you actually installed drivers for the sata ports ?

Old November 14th 06, 09:58 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Homer

"Rod Speed" wrote in
:

HomeR wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Homer wrote

[...]

OK, got the SATA drive working. BIOS was disabled! Real dummie move that
one...anyway, I am backing up approx 65 GB from a USB 2.0 Maxtor external
to the SATA drive using the built in backup program in Win2k server. For
that amount of data, it is showing approx 17 hours and I need to get it
under 8 hours somehow. That is the window I have to work with. I have to
backup this database every night and bring it off site for security
reasons. I am thinking I have to install a eSATA card and probably dump
the Maxtor USB and use two SATA's, one for the server storage and one for
removable backup.

Ideas?
Thanks again,
JohnS
Old November 14th 06, 10:42 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Homer wrote
Rod Speed wrote
HomeR wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Homer wrote

[...]

Yeah, real trap.

anyway, I am backing up approx 65 GB from a USB 2.0 Maxtor external
to the SATA drive using the built in backup program in Win2k server. For
that amount of data, it is showing approx 17 hours and I need to get it
under 8 hours somehow. That is the window I have to work with. I have
to backup this database every night and bring it off site for security reasons.

Do you have to use that backup app ? True Image should
do it vastly quicker, like a couple of hours at most. You can
download the trial version to see how it works for you for no cost.

I am thinking I have to install a eSATA card and probably dump the Maxtor USB
and use two SATA's, one for the server storage and one for removable backup.

I'd want to try it first in case its just as dismally slow.

Ideas?

See above.