CityLink Not Delivering

Old July 5th 04, 09:46 AM
Paul-B - the original and the best!

Tx2 posted:

"Paul-B" seems incapable of rational argument, and throws little but
personal insults into the equation. I have an opinion on that, but
i'm not going to concern myself with it, it's pointless. I don't have
time to waste on pointless.

If you recall, the discussion originated on the capabilities of
Citylink. Pointing out that they have been exemplary in the 5+ years
I've been dealing with them, pointing out that if they were as bad as
some people seem to think they are they would not be carrying for Aria,
CCL, Ebuyer and the rest would seem to me to be "rational argument",
and which has yet to be shown to be wrong.

As for personal insults, if it posts like a ****wit and acts like a
****wit I assume it *is* a ****wit.

ymmv

--
Paul-B

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
- Mario Andretti

Reply to address is spam-trap. Use paul at streetka dot biz if you
really must!
Old July 5th 04, 09:50 AM
Paul-B - the original and the best!

ric posted:

i like neil and his compay, but i just don't use companies that use
citylink any more as in practice it adds a week and a huge amount of
me running round just to get the parcels.BR

Just out of interest, who do you use? You have two of the best
suppliers to small businesses right there on your doorstep, both of
whom use Citylink exclusively (I'm referring to CCL and Aria).

Old July 5th 04, 10:32 AM
Bagpuss

On 5 Jul 2004 08:50:01 GMT, "Paul-B - the original and the best!"
wrote:

ric posted:

i like neil and his compay, but i just don't use companies that use
citylink any more as in practice it adds a week and a huge amount of
me running round just to get the parcels.BR

Just out of interest, who do you use? You have two of the best
suppliers to small businesses right there on your doorstep, both of
whom use Citylink exclusively (I'm referring to CCL and Aria).

The odd thing round here is that the best deliveries I have had are
Citylink. One ever came up and appologised for taking so long (he
turned up at around 7:30pm IIRC ) as he was snowed under.

I have watched a parcel force bloke come up the drive without the
parcel, put a card through the door and walk off. He wasn't too amused
when I opened the door and asked for the parcel :-)
Old July 5th 04, 10:53 AM
Niel Humphreys

"Tx2" wrote in message
t...

Even ignoring the commercial implications for a moment, out of mere
common courtesy I wouldn't be as rude and impolite to a fellow human
being as yourself and Neil seem to advocate.

Now there's another point altogether ...

Just reading back on this thread and it amazes me that Paul and I have been
lambasted as bad, arrogant businessmen from simply being up front about the
fact that we recognise that there are such thing as difficult customers and
are quite happy not to do business with them. There followed much assumption
jumping that we actually provide bad service, don't have a clue about how to
run a business and generally are people who people should not want to be
dealing with.

All we did was recognise a problem and openly admit we preferred to avoid
the stress of having to deal with the sources of this problem, what is so
wrong with that?
--

Niel Humphreys

Old July 5th 04, 12:14 PM
Bagpuss

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 10:53:35 +0100, "Niel Humphreys"
wrote:

"Tx2" wrote in message
[...]

Its that you are on the end of another TCP/IP socket so its much
easier to villify someone who you don't have to see face to face.

Personally I think you are right. Put up front to the customer what
the terms and conditions are for delivery so they know where they
stand. They can then make the choice to buy or not.

After all if you spent 10 hours a week handling customers special
needs to earn an extra fiver or so (lets face it thats all it is most
of the time) then you would quickly be out of business or working 70
hour weeks.

Go to a corporate and order an engineering item and the terms and
conditions will be very strict to the point of penalties listed for
late payment or for buying, penalties for late delivery. Yet when its
someone trying to buy a PC its appauling that you arn't hand
delivering it as a favour with a discount.

This is why I don't work in that sort of trade. I know I would be the
70 hour a week person delivering by hand with a discount bending over
backwards and still going out of business.

I know from doing custom leather work for re-enactment groups that no
one appreciates that those re-production boots that I made for them
and sold for 50 quid, cost 30 quid in materials and took around 40
hours to hand make. Its a bit disheartening at times.
Old July 5th 04, 03:01 PM
lofthouse

"Paul-B - the original and the best!" wrote in message ...
My business deals direct with corporate customers,

At the peril of entering this private spat, have we got to the bottom
of the issue here? Another poster claimed that CL give preference to
corporate addresses over private residential ones, so if all your
business is with the former, this might be why your parcels get
delivered properly. The people claiming bad delivery were (correct me
if I'm wrong) talking about residential addresses.

Personally I always get stuff delivered to my work for exactly this
reason. It's a large building that the courier drivers will know well,
it has a large forecourt so it's an 'easy drop' for them, and there is
always somebody at the reception. Means I don't have to stay in as
well :-)

-LH
Old July 5th 04, 03:06 PM
Parish

lofthouse wrote:

Personally I always get stuff delivered to my work for exactly this
reason. It's a large building that the courier drivers will know well,
it has a large forecourt so it's an 'easy drop' for them, and there is
always somebody at the reception. Means I don't have to stay in as
well :-)

Bit of a bugger if your office is your home though :-(

Parish
Old July 5th 04, 03:10 PM
Niel Humphreys

"lofthouse" wrote in message
om...
"Paul-B - the original and the best!" wrote in

message ...
My business deals direct with corporate customers,

At the peril of entering this private spat, have we got to the bottom
of the issue here? Another poster claimed that CL give preference to
corporate addresses over private residential ones, so if all your
business is with the former, this might be why your parcels get
delivered properly. The people claiming bad delivery were (correct me
if I'm wrong) talking about residential addresses.

Nope, my customers' delivery addresses are about 50/50 split with some
asking for delivery to their work and some for delivery to home and neither
seem to have any major problems...
--

Niel Humphreys

Old July 5th 04, 03:32 PM
Bagpuss

On Mon, 5 Jul 2004 15:10:35 +0100, "Niel Humphreys"
wrote:

"lofthouse" wrote in message
. com...
"Paul-B - the original and the best!" wrote in

message ...
My business deals direct with corporate customers,

At the peril of entering this private spat, have we got to the bottom
of the issue here? Another poster claimed that CL give preference to
corporate addresses over private residential ones, so if all your
business is with the former, this might be why your parcels get
delivered properly. The people claiming bad delivery were (correct me
if I'm wrong) talking about residential addresses.

Nope, my customers' delivery addresses are about 50/50 split with some
asking for delivery to their work and some for delivery to home and neither
seem to have any major problems...

I'm starting to wonder if some of the local city link drivers have
their own "hit list" of people who they like to annoy, or just got
annoyed by and get their own back, or just locations where they know
its going to mess their schedule so don't bother. But then I'm a few
mile sout of the city center here and don't have problems with
deliveries, but I used to get around 50% of Royal Mail parcels go
astray where I used to live.
Old July 5th 04, 04:49 PM
Paul-B - the original and the best!

lofthouse posted:

"Paul-B - the original and the best!" wrote
in message ...
My business deals direct with corporate customers,

At the peril of entering this private spat, have we got to the bottom
of the issue here? Another poster claimed that CL give preference to
corporate addresses over private residential ones, so if all your
business is with the former, this might be why your parcels get
delivered properly. The people claiming bad delivery were (correct me
if I'm wrong) talking about residential addresses.

I don't send anything out by courier, all my stuff is delivered and
installed personally. But I do receive deliveries on a regular basis,
from Aria, CCL and occasionally E-Buyer.

Personally I always get stuff delivered to my work for exactly this
reason. It's a large building that the courier drivers will know well,
it has a large forecourt so it's an 'easy drop' for them, and there is
always somebody at the reception. Means I don't have to stay in as
well :-)

Not a problem for me, I can schedule my timetable so that either I or
someone else are going to be here when I'm expecting a delivery.