Film the inside of your cable modems ! (Reveal if fans are inside or not)

Old October 25th 14, 12:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,nl.comp.netwerken,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Default Film the inside of your cable modems ! (Reveal if fans are inside or not)

Hello,

Some of todays or future cable modems seem to contain a processor with a
heatsink and a fan on top of it.

Apperently gigabit ethernet speeds/wireless speeds might require either a
processor with a fan on it, or multiple processors without fans.

I certainly do not want another device in my house with another fan in it.

I would like to own a cable modem in the future which is fanless, to prevent
dust/heat related issues.

Therefore I ask all NERDS to open up their new cable modems and fill them on
the inside and post videos of it on youtube !

So we can get a glimpse of what is TRUELY inside the new breed of cable
modems.

Very important topic.

If cable modems start to fail in the future because of overheat, it's
basically game over in a big way.

Don't let it happen, start filming !

Some questions:

Do the netgear 6300b cable modems contain a fan ?

Do the technicolor tc210 cable modems contain a fan ?

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old October 25th 14, 12:47 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,nl.comp.netwerken,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Hello,

And ofcourse please post youtube videos of the internals of your cable
modems on the internet:

Especially these two models:

Netgear 6300b

Technicolor tc210

Me interested to know if they contain pesky fans or not

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old October 25th 14, 01:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,nl.comp.netwerken,sci.electronics.design
Al Drake

On 10/25/2014 7:45 AM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
[...]

I have a ZOOM cable modem that was over heating because I had it on
top of my router. It gave me problems that even the Comcast service tech
missed replacing my cable box instead. When I found it to be getting hot
I placed it on some Styrofoam spacers and cooled it with a fan. The
modem is sealed but just the fan blowing onto the outside case is all
you need. Fans are your friends. I have one blowing onto my Vizio 42
inch HDTV I use as a monitor. It doubles as a space heater for those
cool nights and early mornings.

Old October 25th 14, 05:44 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 13:45:50 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
Gave us:

Some of todays or future cable modems

You're an idiot.

At full bore utilization in 104° C environment, they do NOT need a fan.

That is how they are designed.

Stop guessing as you go, and then posting your retarded spew here. Go
get a goddamned education.
Old October 25th 14, 05:49 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,nl.comp.netwerken,sci.electronics.design
John Larkin[_3_]

On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 08:02:09 -0400, Al Drake
wrote:

[...]

My new Comcast box is "Touchstone Arris." It's silent and just a
little warm. Has vents on the top and bottom.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology, Inc

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Old October 25th 14, 07:28 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,nl.comp.netwerken,sci.electronics.design
Jeff Liebermann[_2_]

wrote:

Some of todays or future cable modems seem to contain a processor with a
heatsink and a fan on top of it.

Make and model of one such cable modem that has an internal fan. I
deal with whatever Comcast is renting this week, and none of them have
fans. Even the typical modern cable set top box does not have a fan.
However, what does have a fan are the various DVR (digital video
recorder) boxes, which generally do NOT include a cable modem. In
general, if it has a hard disk inside, it will have a fan.

I certainly do not want another device in my house with another fan in it.

Nor does anyone else want a fan, which is why cable modems do not have
fans inside.

I would like to own a cable modem in the future which is fanless, to prevent
dust/heat related issues.

I will happily sell you an unobtainable future cable modem. Just pay
me now, and I'll ship it to you when the future arrives.

Therefore I ask all NERDS to open up their new cable modems and fill them on
the inside and post videos of it on youtube !

Video? A still image will not suffice or don't you believe that fans
can rotate?

So we can get a glimpse of what is TRUELY inside the new breed of cable
modems.

Welcome to Google images. Start he
https://www.google.com/imghp
Type in the maker and model number of your cable modem and skim
through the photos which usually will show the PCB and insides.

If cable modems start to fail in the future because of overheat, it's
basically game over in a big way.

$75 at Costco for a Motorola/Arris SB6141. You'll probably blow up
whatever you install, so check the warranty before buying.

Do the netgear 6300b cable modems contain a fan ?

No. That's because the Netgear D6300b is a wireless router without a
cable modem sold only in Germany. The US version is the R6300:
http://www.netgear.com/R6300
Try again on the model number.

Do the technicolor tc210 cable modems contain a fan ?

No. That's because Technicolor modem product numbers are in the form
TCxxxx where xxxx is a 4 digit number. Try again on the model number.

Bye,

One can only hope.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old October 26th 14, 01:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,nl.comp.netwerken,sci.electronics.design
Chris[_22_]

On 25/10/2014 10:47 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
Hello,

And ofcourse please post youtube videos of the internals of your cable
modems on the internet:

Especially these two models:

Netgear 6300b

Technicolor tc210

Me interested to know if they contain pesky fans or not

Bye,
Skybuck.

I had a Netgear 63XX ADSL modem (guessing it's highly similar with minor
changes for ADSL vs Cable), no fans. Worked fine, got killed by an
electrical storm though.

--
Cheers,

Chris.
Old October 26th 14, 01:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,nl.comp.netwerken,sci.electronics.design
Paul

Chris wrote:
On 25/10/2014 10:47 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
Hello,

And ofcourse please post youtube videos of the internals of your cable
modems on the internet:

Especially these two models:

Netgear 6300b

Technicolor tc210

Me interested to know if they contain pesky fans or not

Bye,
Skybuck.

I had a Netgear 63XX ADSL modem (guessing it's highly similar with minor
changes for ADSL vs Cable), no fans. Worked fine, got killed by an
electrical storm though.

--
Cheers,

Chris.

The set of chips for cable modem and ADSL would be different.

One reason, is ADSL modems are now highly integrated. A complete
modem/router with four Ethernet ports can be contained in one
Broadcom chip. That's how my ADSL2+ modem/router is built.

The cable modem will also have increasing levels of integration.
At one time, there would be a tuner and some sort of decoder on
the front end, then a general purpose embedded CPU for routing,
plus something for a four port switch on the back end. And some
of those chips could be squeezed together, leaving tuner and
SOC (system on a chip) as a possible solution. It really depends
on sales volume, as to whether the money is in the business for
continuous improvement.

Take as an example, the STB for digital television. Everyone
and his dog made gear at first. Once the initial surge was
over, and TV sets came with built-in digital TV tuners, there
was no market. Suddenly, you couldn't buy a decent STB,
many chip companies stopped making the necessary chips,
and there were only a handful of models left. That would
be an example of where the market left the developers behind.
There'd be no way to pay for innovation. I now have to pray that
my digital TV STB never packs it in, or I'll have to buy a new TV set.
My STB connects to the computer, and I watch TV on the
computer screen. Any firmware bugs in that garbage,
are there forever, with no one caring to fix them.
Yet another generation of orphan electronics.

Paul
Old October 26th 14, 05:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,nl.comp.netwerken,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

I certainly do not want another device in my house with another fan in it.

"
Nor does anyone else want a fan, which is why cable modems do not have
fans inside.
"

You wrong about that:

cisco epc 3928 apperently has a fan in it.

I saw one on youtube ?! which is pretty scary !

Bye,
Skybuck.
Old October 26th 14, 05:34 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,nl.comp.netwerken,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_4_]

Do the technicolor tc210 cable modems contain a fan ?

No. That's because Technicolor modem product numbers are in the form
TCxxxx where xxxx is a 4 digit number. Try again on the model number.

Yeah lol my ISP isn't too good with numbers, thanks for correcting that ?

Maybe the ment the TC 2100, fiber optic modem ?

Hmmmmmm.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Tips for Cable Management inside the PC? Fidelis K Homebuilt PC's 6 October 24th 06 06:20 AM
TI Inside TI Inside Intel 9 September 27th 05 07:20 PM
Can AC fans be used inside cases? Phisherman Homebuilt PC's 37 December 9th 04 01:46 AM
What's inside the box?? frk040 Dell Computers 5 December 26th 03 11:05 AM
what's inside a mac? Bust Out Homebuilt PC's 14 August 29th 03 11:50 PM