business cards - alternartives to Avery?

Old October 7th 07, 07:20 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Andrew Hamilton

Default business cards - alternartives to Avery?

I need to print some business cards 'cuz I just lost my job and the
outplacement person said that you need to give a business card to an
interviewer.

In the past I've used Avery business card stock because I like the
convenience of the pre-cut cards. But these cards fell really flimsy
compared with the business cards you get from printers.

The thing is I need to be able to change what I say on the business
card, just like I modify the resume depending on the job description.

Any suggestions for card stock that doesn't cost me my first-born? I
use both a laser printer and an ink-jet, if that matters.

-AH
Old October 7th 07, 12:42 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
[email protected]

On 7-Oct-2007, Andrew Hamilton wrote:

Any suggestions for card stock that doesn't cost me my first-born? I
use both a laser printer and an ink-jet, if that matters.

Lidl have recently done a kit, sufficiently recently for a few stores
to still have the kit.
Or buy a (Lidl also do them) gillotine, fit some stops, then you can
use any card stock, even photo quality stock, bar the fact that
inkjet colour isn't very water/sweat proof.
Old October 7th 07, 06:46 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
DanG

"Andrew Hamilton" wrote in message
I need to print some business cards 'cuz I just lost my job and the
outplacement person said that you need to give a business card to an
interviewer.

In the past I've used Avery business card stock because I like the
convenience of the pre-cut cards. But these cards fell really flimsy
compared with the business cards you get from printers.

The thing is I need to be able to change what I say on the business
card, just like I modify the resume depending on the job description.

Any suggestions for card stock that doesn't cost me my first-born? I
use both a laser printer and an ink-jet, if that matters.

-AH

I use extra heavy weight glossy photo paper. If you want a photo on the
card, this will be the best choice for inkjet. If you want to stay with
black, the laser might be a better choice.

Old October 7th 07, 06:49 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Burt

"Andrew Hamilton" wrote in message
I need to print some business cards 'cuz I just lost my job and the
outplacement person said that you need to give a business card to an
interviewer.

In the past I've used Avery business card stock because I like the
convenience of the pre-cut cards. But these cards fell really flimsy
compared with the business cards you get from printers.

The thing is I need to be able to change what I say on the business
card, just like I modify the resume depending on the job description.

Any suggestions for card stock that doesn't cost me my first-born? I
use both a laser printer and an ink-jet, if that matters.

-AH

I've used Wausau 80 pound bright white cover card stock on my laser printer
with the Avery business card format and cut them with a paper cutter. Some
laser printers won't print on this weight of card stock. They either don't
have the paper handling capability, large enough gap under the fuser, or hot
enough fuser to do the job. I used an HP5p for 10 years and, although it
was still working perfectly well, replaced it with and HP 3005. I took
envelopes and the above mentioned card stock to a local computer store to
try several printers. None of the HP mono printers handled these items well
until I moved up in price to the 3005. You do need a straight paper path as
well as the ability to handle this weight stock and the fuser with
sufficient heat to set the toner.

Old October 7th 07, 09:12 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
tigerwan[_3_]

I use Fujifilm glossy photo paper from Walmart for the majority of my
business cards, it has the best look for colour. And for back up (if I
run out) I use 65 pound, 96 bright card stock from Walmart Mainstays
brand

Old October 8th 07, 04:50 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Bob AZ

Any suggestions for card stock that doesn't cost me my first-born? I
use both a laser printer and an ink-jet, if that matters.

AH

I just did a nice set of cards for a musical group. I used WordPerfect
12. I used the Business card features. I am reasonably sure that MS
Word has the same capability.

I used an Epson Inkjet printer and the glossy paper from COSTCO.

When cutting the cards start with dividing the sheet of 10 cards up
and down. The set the width on the paper cutter or printer to 3?" to
trim the sides. Then do the horizontal cuts.

Bob AZ

Old October 8th 07, 04:30 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
anonymous

On Oct 7, 2:20 am, Andrew Hamilton wrote:
I need to print some business cards 'cuz I just lost my job and the
outplacement person said that you need to give a business card to an
interviewer.. . .

-AH

I use "Strathmore Writing "88 lb.Cover Bristol Bright White Wove" (238
gsm) printed on an Epson inkjet at 720 dpi. black only. An inkjet
printer will bive better results than a laser printer, but try both to
see which you personally prefer.I do the layout in MS Publisher, 10 up
on an 8-1/2 x 11 sheet; and cut with a hand guillotine cutter. This
stock also comes in "warmer" whites and should be available at any
specialty paper shop (for around $7 for 50 sheets) or from a paper
supply company like paper.com for around $35 for 250 sheets. This
paper is actually made from two lighterweight sheets that are
laminated together, so the final card 3-1/2" x 2" has a nice feel and
"snap" to it. This paper is not specially coated for inkjet, but black
ink holds very well on the surface.

If you want a coated gloss "photographic" paper for color printing,
check Adorama or B&H Photo, and look for a gloss paper that is at
least "240 gsm" or heavier in weight.

Joe D.

Old October 19th 07, 06:08 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Jim Kindon[_2_]

Default business cards - alternatives to Avery?

Hi,
any desk top publishing program will do.

Regards

Jim
Old October 19th 07, 11:19 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Rob

Andrew Hamilton wrote:

I need to print some business cards 'cuz I just lost my job and the
outplacement person said that you need to give a business card to an
interviewer.

In the past I've used Avery business card stock because I like the
convenience of the pre-cut cards. But these cards fell really flimsy
compared with the business cards you get from printers.

The thing is I need to be able to change what I say on the business
card, just like I modify the resume depending on the job description.

Any suggestions for card stock that doesn't cost me my first-born? I
use both a laser printer and an ink-jet, if that matters.

-AH

Avery make another one called Quick and Clean which is much thicker
220gms C32015.

business cards Allan Adler Printers 26 May 2nd 07 07:18 PM
trouble printing business cards on HP3650 [email protected] Printers 0 December 1st 06 12:25 AM
Business cards with photograph-problem Blair Printers 8 May 2nd 05 05:07 PM
hp 960cse gets stuck on end of printing avery biz cards John H. Printers 2 April 24th 04 03:22 AM
Hardware for printing business cards Sprout General 8 January 16th 04 05:11 AM