Intel Build - Next Generation vs Last Generation

Old July 24th 04, 06:25 AM
MikeW

Default Intel Build - Next Generation vs Last Generation

I was about to do a build up. Even bought a case. Was going to do a
865 based mobo (likely ASUS P4P800E-Deluxe). But now the 915/925
boards are hitting the market. Now I'm thinking I should wait a few
more months till that platform stabilizes, then buy into that. Since
alot of the technologies are changing (DDR2, PCI Express, LGA775,
etc.), I'm thinking I'll be obsolete out of the box with the old gen
stuff, and will be screwed down the road if I want to do an
intermediate upgrade (short of scraping the whole mobo/proc/vid/mem
combo).

What do you guys think?
Old July 24th 04, 06:37 AM
JAD

What will you be using the rig for? Why would the
915 be better for you than the 865? etc?

om...

Old July 24th 04, 11:47 AM
Brian Cartwright

Even if you wait a few months, there will be some other new technology on
the horizon. You will simply end up waiting for ever.

Old July 24th 04, 05:34 PM
Alan W. Blackmon

"Brian Cartwright" wrote in message
Even if you wait a few months, there will be some other new technology on
the horizon. You will simply end up waiting for ever.
I was about to do a build up. Even bought a case. Was going to do a
865 based mobo (likely ASUS P4P800E-Deluxe). But now the 915/925
boards are hitting the market. Now I'm thinking I should wait a few
more months till that platform stabilizes, then buy into that. Since
alot of the technologies are changing (DDR2, PCI Express, LGA775,
etc.), I'm thinking I'll be obsolete out of the box with the old gen
stuff, and will be screwed down the road if I want to do an
intermediate upgrade (short of scraping the whole mobo/proc/vid/mem
combo).

What do you guys think?

Build for what you need today. Don't worry about what will come later.

Alan in Boise

Old July 25th 04, 03:00 AM
MikeW

In the now timeframe going with a 915/925 over an 865 won't buy me
much, but if, in a year or two, I want to spruce up the machine, I
will less likely have to start completely from scratch. Then again,
by then they might have another new platform upgrade

"JAD" wrote in message ...
What will you be using the rig for? Why would the
915 be better for you than the 865? etc?

om...

Old July 25th 04, 03:46 AM
JAD

but if, in a year or two

Mike be serious........ build the machine you can afford now (64b or
not), we'll be lucky if we enthusiasts will be able to build homebrew
in 2 years

http://www.againsttcpa.com/what-is-tcpa.html

m...

"JAD" wrote in message

What will you be using the rig for? Why would

the
915 be better for you than the 865? etc?

om...

Old July 25th 04, 08:57 AM
JK

If you are worrying about your system being very obsolete soon,
why are you thinking about using a 32 bit processor? Forget
about Intel, and build an Athlon 64 system. With 64 bit Windows,
it will really be awesome. Since you are willing to wait a bit,
wait for Windows 64 for X86-64 to be released, then build
an Athlon 64 system.

Old July 25th 04, 03:02 PM

On 23 Jul 2004 22:25:30 -0700, (MikeW) wrote:

I was about to do a build up. Even bought a case. Was going to do a
865 based mobo (likely ASUS P4P800E-Deluxe). But now the 915/925
boards are hitting the market. Now I'm thinking I should wait a few
more months till that platform stabilizes, then buy into that. Since
alot of the technologies are changing (DDR2, PCI Express, LGA775,
etc.), I'm thinking I'll be obsolete out of the box with the old gen
stuff, and will be screwed down the road if I want to do an
intermediate upgrade (short of scraping the whole mobo/proc/vid/mem
combo).

What do you guys think?

I think Intel has been a little screwy in the head since Andy Grove
stopped being the man.

Their marketing department seems to dictate to the design guys, and
said marketing department doesn't seem to be doing well at it.

Little AMD with minimal motherboard support is kicking Intel's ass.

The only thing Intel's got going for it is that the media refuses to
write the truth about Intel, possibly out of sheer stupidity, but
probably politics and advertising dollars.

To answer your question, I think you'd have to wait too long for the
dust to settle on Intel's latest pipe dreams.

I'd get an AMD64 for the next year or so, until the dual core cpu's
come out. I think the socket 754 is a better value than the 939.
Opinions vary though

If you want to stay Intel, I'd go with your original thought and get a
865 for now.