SATAII drive not assigned drive letter after MB change

Old August 7th 06, 09:30 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default SATAII drive not assigned drive letter after MB change

Ok... got some confusion and a some frustration brewing here....

I have two SATAII drives an 80 GIG and a 400 GIG.
80 is my OS and 400 GIG is my data.

I changed to a dual proc motherboard and one that supported SATAII,
reformated the 80 GIG and thought life would be good.

Why do I not see the 400 GIG... Its there, see it on post and see it
under XP in disk manager, but it will not assign a drive letter to it.

Of course lots of sublte changes - northbridge chipset, 4 sata slots
instead of 2 (tried them all).

Originally it was a basic disk - my only option is to change it to a
dynamic disk.

I have a box of IDE drives here, can drop anyone of them in and they
will get assigned a drive letter.

Oh, whats the big deal here? The 400 GIG is filled with data, thats
the deal.

1) Why do I not see my 400 GIG and any way I can see it without having
to convert it to a dynamic disk?
2) I think the answer is no, but will I lose any data by converting it
to a dynamic disk ? ( i know going back to a basic disk will lose
data).

Fine, I am an id10t and obviously did something wrong.

Thanks

Scott

Old August 7th 06, 10:02 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Have you try to make it into a primary disk...
If it is dymanic.. don't you have you have to mount it?

Did you install the motherboard SATA Drivers.?

[Thundersha 278850]

Games that I like to play
a href=http://www.gamestotal.com/Multiplayer Online Games/a
a href=http://www.gamestotal.com/Strategy Games/abr
a href=http://uc.gamestotal.com/Unification Wars/a -
a href=http://uc.gamestotal.com/Massive Multiplayer Online
Games/abr
a href=http://gc.gamestotal.com/Galactic Conquest/a -
a href=http://gc.gamestotal.com/Strategy Games/abr
a href=http://www.stephenyong.com/runescape.htmRunescape/abr
a href=http://www.stephenyong.com/kingsofchaos.htmKings of
chaos/abr

Old August 7th 06, 10:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rod Speed

wrote:

Ok... got some confusion and a some frustration brewing here....

I have two SATAII drives an 80 GIG and a 400 GIG.
80 is my OS and 400 GIG is my data.

I changed to a dual proc motherboard and one that supported
SATAII, reformated the 80 GIG and thought life would be good.

Why do I not see the 400 GIG... Its there, see it on post and see it
under XP in disk manager, but it will not assign a drive letter to it.

Thats usually because it doesnt see it as partitioned and formatted.

Of course lots of sublte changes - northbridge
chipset, 4 sata slots instead of 2 (tried them all).

Originally it was a basic disk - my only option is to change it to a dynamic disk.

You're less than clear here, does it show as partitioned and formatted ?

Old August 9th 06, 06:07 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rod Speed

wrote:

Looking at it now:

Volume -blank
Layout-Partition
Type - Basic
File System - Blank
Status - Healthy (active)
Capacity - 372.60 GB
Free Space - 372.60 GB

Thats the critical bit, it isnt seeing it as partitioned and
formatted, just as free space. That's why it isnt getting a letter.

% Free - 100%
Fault Tolerance - No
Overhead - 0%

And under drives it shows as DIsk 1

And no, I dont want to hear anything about the data is gone etc.
I simply remove installed a new motherboard, no other changes,
do my little static thing, etc.

You previously said that you had formatted the 80G drive. You can see
that effect with drives over 137G if you havent installed at least SP1 with
XP. The fix is just to apply at least SP1, SP2 is better. Thats basically
just installing 38bit LBA support which is needed for drives over 137G.

No SATAII driver that I can see, VIA chipet,
cool and quite, realtek, VIA ethernet, USB, is it.

If the problem isnt 48bit LBA support, you
should still be able to get the data back.

Old August 16th 06, 07:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Hey Rod,

Thanks very much. However I was running SP1 already... so I tried SP2
anyways and no cigar.

I cant imagine what the deal is? Just put a new motherboard and
processor in... didnt touch the drive at all.

Thanks to anyone else...

I dont lose data by moving it to a virtual disk do I? I prefer not to
have one but at least this would assign a drive letter right?

Thanks

Scott

Old August 16th 06, 07:42 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Rod Speed

wrote:

Thanks very much. However I was running SP1 already...
so I tried SP2 anyways and no cigar.

Yeah, SP1 is all you need.

I cant imagine what the deal is? Just put a new motherboard
and processor in... didnt touch the drive at all.

You can stomp on the partition table at times setting that up properly,
particularly if you attempted to use it without the new install of XP.

Thanks to anyone else...

I dont lose data by moving it to a virtual disk do I?

Wont help when it sees that as free space.

I prefer not to have one but at least this would assign a drive letter right?

Nope, because it sees it as free space.

I'd try a recovery program. I prefer Easy Recovery Pro, but its very expensive.