Few CD iso images to dvd?

Old December 26th 03, 12:47 AM

Default Few CD iso images to dvd?

OK, so I have my CD collection. Various data, so it would be quite
hard to copy it all onto hd, and then to dvds. So, I thought about
making ISO images, and then - burning them AS ISO files on dvd.

6 of them should fit on one dvd. Backup is the main reason, so access
time will not be very important. I should be able to access that data
with daemon tools or virtual cd, right?

The question is - which format will be appropriate for this.
ISO, BIN, or maybe other? What about compressed images of Virtual CD
or Paragon CD-ROM Emulator? Those should allow me to put even more
than 6 images on one dvd.
Old December 26th 03, 12:49 AM
Rod Speed

P wrote in message

OK, so I have my CD collection. Various data, so it would
be quite hard to copy it all onto hd, and then to dvds.

You dont need to 'copy it all onto hd',
just DVD sized chunks at a time.

So, I thought about making ISO images,
and then - burning them AS ISO files on dvd.

6 of them should fit on one dvd. Backup is the main reason,
so access time will not be very important. I should be able
to access that data with daemon tools or virtual cd, right?

The question is - which format will be appropriate
for this. ISO, BIN, or maybe other?

Likely ISO to make it easier to get individual files out of
the ISOs as required if you want to go that particular route.

What about compressed images of Virtual CD or
Paragon CD-ROM Emulator? Those should allow
me to put even more than 6 images on one dvd.

Sure. But I'd personally just assemble DVD sized
chunks on hd and write that to more than one DVD
and then move on to another DVD sized chunk.

And I wouldnt compress with something that will
see the entire compressed file inaccessible if there
is a problem anywhere in the DVD sized chunk either.

Old December 26th 03, 01:44 PM
Lil' Dave

Depends on the CD you're copying. ISO may not understand the copy
protection, if any.

The ISO file will approximate the size of the entire data on the CD. So you
may be able to copy more ISO type files to DVD than just 6.

An ISO file is an ISO file, it don't matter where its written to. Just
remember data is read-only on a DVD or CD.

It may be smarter just to burn a copy of each CD for safekeeping.
Especially since, in order to recover the ISO image, you have to restore
that image anyway.
Dave