FDISK, HDD #s, don't know how to install two HDDs.

Old October 21st 03, 03:44 AM
sunslight

Default FDISK, HDD #s, don't know how to install two HDDs.

I am trying to install my new WD drive as the Master in a two drive system.
Moving the old drive to the slave, my new WD drive as the Primary master and
setting it as the active drive.

My old drive was according to the Windows 2000 Disk Manager and Partition
Magic, Disk 0.

After changing the jumpers and IDE cable positions, so the old drive is
primary/slave and the WD drive is Primary Master, I booted the system from a
W98 floppy, which has the new MS FDISK for large HDDs.

The boot went perfectly. Both drives recognized in their proper place and
size.

I then went to FDISK, to partition and format my new WD drive so it would be
the boot drive and I could install Windows 2000.

To my surprise, FDISK opened to the old drive and showed it as Drive 0.

I had expected it to open to the WD drive, naming it as Drive 0, since that
is the place it is on the IDE controller; and the old drive, now the slave,
to be HDD1. Instead, FDISK shows my primary master, the WD drive as HDD 1
and the old drive as HDD 0.

I do not understand this, since, the WD drive is the master, and the old
drive, now the slave. --Which makes them drives HDD0 and HDD1 on the IDE
channel--just the opposite of what FDISK is showing.

In step 5 of FDISK, I chose to look at a different drive than "0" (the old,
but now, slave).

That screen showed two drives in the system: Drive "0" and Drive "1,"
still with my new drive being HDD1 instead of HDD 0.

It asked me to enter which drive I wanted to look at. My selections were
only HDD 0 & HDD 1. I entered 1. That took me to the old drive!~

I entere HDD 0 and got an error message that I had to enter numbers between
1 & 2. Two got me to the new primary, WD drive!

Confused? I am.

Something seems wrong here.

Did Windows 2000 set a flag on the old master drive, so it always will read
as HDD 0? If so, why, in the step where I was to select the drive to view,
drive 1 turned out to be the old master, not the new drive?

I am afraid to format.

I don't know if I tell FDISK to format HDD 0 or HDD 1.

In the IDE channels, the new master is in the position of HDD 0. But FDISK
is saying it is HDD 1.

I am at a loss. I certainly don't want to format the wrong drive. I don't
know how to proceed.

I could take out the old drive and just partition and format the new WD
master, but then it would become an HDD 0.

If I do that, then add the slave back into the system, I will have two HDD
"0"s. This is sure to upset the MBR and the entire partition table for both
drives might get messed up. Certainly with the "ntloader" pointing to drive
0 as the boot drive, but there being two, there will be problems.

As I said, I don't know what to do.

Is there a way to get FDISK to recognize the drives correctly, according to
their position on the IDE channel?

How do I proceed? (I have checked the FAQs on Western Digital and at MS,
but can't come up with an answer.)

Bob

Old October 21st 03, 01:14 PM
Joep

Hi,

Fdisk doesn't format drives anyway, it partitions them. It is true that
WinNT based OS'es sometimes list the drives in a different order than the
BIOS (and Fdisk 'asks' the BIOS).

Anyway, why not disconnect the disk you do NOT want to modify temporarily,
and then partition the target disk with Fdisk. After that's done, re-connect
the other disk again.

--
Joep

Old October 21st 03, 08:40 PM
Folkert Rienstra

"sunslight" wrote in message news:f41lb.839690$uu5.149291@sccrnsc04...
[...]

Yes. This would be the situation as if you booted from the slave
instead of from the Floppy. Are you sure you booted the FDD?

Did Windows 2000 set a flag on the old master drive, so it always will read
as HDD 0? If so, why, in the step where I was to select the drive to view,
drive 1 turned out to be the old master, not the new drive?

I am afraid to format.

No need, since Fdisk doesn't format.

I don't know if I tell FDISK to format HDD 0 or HDD 1.

In the IDE channels, the new master is in the position of HDD 0. But FDISK
is saying it is HDD 1.

I am at a loss. I certainly don't want to format the wrong drive. I don't
know how to proceed.

Fdisk the empty drive and Format the new partition(s).
You cannot normally 'Fdisk' a drive that is already fully
partitioned so the risk is minimal.

I could take out the old drive and just partition and format the new WD
master, but then it would become an HDD 0.

Nope.

If I do that, then add the slave back into the system, I will have two HDD
"0"s.

Nope.

This is sure to upset the MBR and the entire partition table for both
drives might get messed up.

Nope.

Certainly with the "ntloader" pointing to drive
0 as the boot drive, but there being two, there will be problems.

Nope.

As I said, I don't know what to do.

That too.

Is there a way to get FDISK to recognize the drives correctly, according to
their position on the IDE channel?

It should do that from a clean floppy boot.

Old October 21st 03, 11:23 PM
sunslight

"Folkert Rienstra" wrote in message

"sunslight" wrote in message

[...]

Didn't mean to say FDISK formatted the drive. Just a slip. meant partition.

Yes, I double checked, trippled checked. FDISK came in from the floppy. I
was in Dr. Dos 7.

The IDE cable is absolutely correct: the new master is 1st on the cable
(black) the slave is gray. The jumpers are correct. The BIOS is set to
boot FDD, HDD0, CDROM.

FDISK still shows, the slave, as HDD 0 and the new, unpartitioned drive as
HDD 1. So, the position on the IDE channel seems to make no difference.

I did learn that if I select drive "2" in FDISK, it pulls up HDD1 (which
is the new drive) and I can partition it, but I ran into problems when
working on a logical in the extended partition. FDISK decided to give its
own names to the logical volumes, the last one it called, * remote *
Where it got this I have no clue. When I went to undo all this and tried to
delete the partition, so it wouldn't go into effect on reboot, I kept
getting an error that * remote * was an invalid volume name. I have no clue
what FDISK was doing. I could never get it off.

Partition magic resuce disks failed, with a number of error messages. But
partition magic did load from W2k and I was able to remove the * remote *
and reset the new drive to free space. But now, PM says the drive has its
boot manager on it but is not running and that is causeing the resuce disks
to not work. --but I haven't loaded their boot manager.

The BIOS splash screen still shows the new primary master, which FDISK says
is HDD1 as the first drive and the primary slave as the second drive,
although FDISK says it's HDD 0. Can someone explain this?

The BIOS is set to boot: FDD, HDD 0, CDROM. I took out the FDD and sure
enough the system booted from the old drive, even though it is marked as
slave (there was no master in the system) and the old slave had been set to
"inactive." Yet it still booted. What am I missing here?

I did read that W2K sets persistent drive letters. So when I add a new
drive, W2K will still read it as the old drive as C, D, E, etc. and the new
drive as F, G, H. But in this case I want it to not be that way. And my
new drive to become the master, with the C & boot partition. . How do I get
out of this?

I checked the boot.ini file on C of the old drive (now the slave). It
points to HDD0 for the OS. Should I delete all the boot files from that
drive?

Changing gears: If I remove the slave, partition the new drive, will it be
HDD 1 or 0? I would think it would be HDD 0, since the old drive is gone.
If that's the case what's going to happen when I add the slave back in? I
know that answers I had above where "no" but I don't understand what's going
to happen.

I just want my new drive to be C, D, etc, active, and the boot drive and the
old one to have new drive letters and no longer be the boot drive. Or can
you not have two drives in the same system that have W2K on it? That would
mean all my programs on the old drive are no longer able to run.

I know that W2k has it's own boot manager, so i thought maybe it would kick
in.

I'm still lost. -- I've read every KB at MS that I can find. The one
that might be the most meaningful is that W2k's drive designations are
persistent, even though you remove it from the system.

A solution? If I designate in the BIOS to boot from (after the floppy),
HDD1 instead of HDD 0, will that solve the problem?

And then, just believe what FDISK is telling me about HDD 0 being the old
drive, regardless of it's position in the IDE channel?

Then I have the problem of how to get the new drive's partitions to be C, D,
etc.

Bob

Old October 22nd 03, 02:24 AM
Rod Speed

"sunslight" wrote in message

[...]

Thats most likely the problem, that very last bit.

Try a proper Win9x startup floppy. Bet you dont get that effect with it.

[...]

You can change the drive letters for all but the boot
drive trivially from within Win2K using the admin tools.

Its a bit harder with the boot drive but still possible.

I checked the boot.ini file on C of the old drive (now the slave). It
points to HDD0 for the OS. Should I delete all the boot files from that
drive?

Changing gears: If I remove the slave, partition the new drive,
will it be HDD 1 or 0? I would think it would be HDD 0,

You're getting yourself royally confused with these drive
IDs. Fdisk for example doesnt even use that syntax at all.

since the old drive is gone. If that's the case what's
going to happen when I add the slave back in?

Depends on the detail of what you do. If you for example do a
clean install of Win2K on the new drive with it as the only drive
connected, when you add the old drive again, as slave, it will
obviously get a later drive number and the partitions on it later letters.

I know that answers I had above where "no"
but I don't understand what's going to happen.

I just want my new drive to be C, D, etc, active, and the boot drive and
the old one to have new drive letters and no longer be the boot drive.

That sentance doesnt even make any sense.

Or can you not have two drives in the same system that have W2K on it?

Yes you can.

That would mean all my programs on the old drive are no longer able to run.

Thats a whole nother can of worms.

You'd be better off cloning the original drive to the new drive,
booting with the new drive as the only drive connected. Then
put the original drive back in again and cleaning it off.

I know that W2k has it's own boot manager,
so i thought maybe it would kick in.

It does, thats what the boot.ini file is for, it specifys the detail
to the boot manager which runs auto as it Win2K boots.

I'm still lost.

You are indeed.

I've read every KB at MS that I can find.

But havent managed to grasp the basics, so they arent that useful.

The one that might be the most meaningful is that W2k's drive designations
are persistent, even though you remove it from the system.

They are indeed, with some exceptions.

A solution? If I designate in the BIOS to boot from (after the
floppy), HDD1 instead of HDD 0, will that solve the problem?

Nope, it will make if even worse.

Best to go right back to basics and clone the original drive to the
new one, BOOT WITH JUST THE COPY VISIBLE TO WIN2K.
Adjust the partitions on the new drive if you want them bigger. Put
the original drive back in the system and just repartion and format it.

And then, just believe what FDISK is telling me about HDD 0 being
the old drive, regardless of it's position in the IDE channel?

Thats likely just an artifact of you running it on DrDOS.

Then I have the problem of how to get
the new drive's partitions to be C, D, etc.

Thats easy if you clone the original drive to the new one.
That will be automatic. You'll need Ghost or Drive Image tho.

Old October 22nd 03, 03:08 PM
Zvi Netiv

"sunslight" wrote:

[...]

You are wasting time and efforts and risk causing a mess.

If the new drive is larger than the old one, then do a full clone of the old
drive onto the new one (CloneDisk is available from http://resq.co.il/resq.php).
The new drive should then start right away, with W2k, applications, partitions
and data, all running from the new drive exactly as everything was on the old
drive.

You should then be able to readjust the partitions on the new drive with PM (and
keep the old one as backup in case anything turns sour while playing with the
new drive configuration). Finally, you could reconfigure the old drive, or keep
directories / data on it, after you finish with the new primary.

Regards, Zvi
--
NetZ Computing Ltd. ISRAEL www.invircible.com www.ivi.co.il (Hebrew)
InVircible Virus Defense Solutions, ResQ and Data Recovery Utilities
Old October 23rd 03, 04:22 AM
sunslight

"Zvi Netiv" wrote in message
"sunslight" wrote:

[...]

Thank you, Rod & Zvi, especially for your last suggestions.

Rod, you are correct FDISK doesn't show "HDD." that is only in the
DiskManagement Snap-In in Windows 2000 and in Part. Magic.
But FDISK did fool me, because it was using disk 0 & disk 1, then asking me
to choose disk 1 or 2. The Dr. DOS 7. may have had something to do with the
problem.

I took your collective advice and tried to copy from the old drive to the
new.

Using Ghost, it didn't work, since disk to disk copy put the same number "0"
in the new drive's boot sector. So, it did it's job, but then I had two HDD
0s.

Partition Magic was no help. Western Digital was no help. The Maxtor
MaxBlast3.0, did work. Although it said it might not, since it wasn't
responsible for a non-maxtor transfer and what might happen and would not
support any problem that came up. But, since no one was giving me any
support except for you folks--what the heck?.

That program had a screen, where it asked if the new disc was going to be
the boot drive or just an additional drive. I chose "BOOT." And evidently
it changed Sector 0 to read "0" and not 1 as it had when I tried a straight
format with FDISK.

After all was said and done, it looks like it worked.

Disk Management in W2K is showing the new disk as the Boot Disc and as HDD
0, and the old disk as HDD1. Yay.

But, the drive letters were not changed. So the old disc still has drive
letters C-F and the new drive, including the boot partition, G-J.

Now the question is how do I change, or what is the best way to get the new
drive to have the letters C-F and the old, G-J?

Partition Magic has a program that is supposed to help when you change drive
letters so the associations won't be lost. I think I can (maybe get that to
work with the logicals), but I'm at a loss as how to replace the "C" drive
designation from the Primary that's on HDD1 and move it to the first Primary
partition of the new boot.

I seem to be able to move around the other drive letters, but not "C."

At least we are a lot closer. You ideas were good, thank you. I'm not
really a dummy on all this, but just totally frustrated. Especially at two
in the morning.

Any ideas how to get my "C" drive to be on my boot disc? Instead of the HDD
1?

I'm really not certain how to use the Partition Magic Disk Mapper to keep
the associations either, but I'll read & try to find out. If you have any
hints, especially how I get my that C designations swapped, I could still
use the help.

( A thought, would blowing away all the info on HDD1, then telling
DiskManagement to rescan the disks work? If the second drive is empty will
it rename the partitions on HDD 0? I know that would work in the other OSs
(not sure about XP). I know W2K & XP say the partition names are set to
persist.

Thanks,
Bob

Old October 23rd 03, 05:10 AM
Rod Speed

"sunslight" wrote in message news:SPHlb.4666$HS4.28579@attbi_s01...

"Zvi Netiv" wrote in message
"sunslight" wrote:

[...]

No you wont if you do it correctly. You have to do the clone
using Ghost AND THEN PHYSICALLY DISCONNECT THE
ORIGINAL DRIVE FROM THE SYSTEM BEFORE YOU LET
WIN2K BOOT OFF THE NEW DRIVE FOR THE FIRST TIME.

Once you do that, WIN2K will tell you that you have new hardware,
tell you that you need to reboot and will boot fine once you allow that.

THEN you can put the original drive back in the system and Win2K
will give the partitions on that letters after the ones on the new drive.

Partition Magic was no help. Western Digital was no help.

You dont need help, just do the clone correctly.

The Maxtor MaxBlast3.0, did work. Although it said it might not, since
it wasn't responsible for a non-maxtor transfer and what might happen
and would not support any problem that came up. But, since no one
was giving me any support except for you folks--what the heck?.

That program had a screen, where it asked if the new disc was
going to be the boot drive or just an additional drive. I chose
"BOOT." And evidently it changed Sector 0 to read "0" and
not 1 as it had when I tried a straight format with FDISK.

You keep comprehensively mangling this stuff, and thats your main problem.

After all was said and done, it looks like it worked.

Disk Management in W2K is showing the new disk as the
Boot Disc and as HDD 0, and the old disk as HDD1. Yay.

But, the drive letters were not changed. So the old disc still has
drive letters C-F and the new drive, including the boot partition, G-J.

You avoid that problem by letting Win2K see JUST the
new drive on the first boot after the clone using Ghost.

Now the question is how do I change, or what is the best way
to get the new drive to have the letters C-F and the old, G-J?

Do the copy again using Ghost.

Partition Magic has a program that is supposed to help when
you change drive letters so the associations won't be lost.

Yes, but thats not a desirable way to go.

I think I can (maybe get that to work with the logicals),
but I'm at a loss as how to replace the "C" drive
designation from the Primary that's on HDD1 and
move it to the first Primary partition of the new boot.

It can be done, but you're so furiously thrashing around
that you may well stuff it up completely in the process.

I seem to be able to move around the other drive letters, but not "C."

Yes, thats by design.

At least we are a lot closer. You ideas were good,
thank you. I'm not really a dummy on all this, but
just totally frustrated. Especially at two in the morning.

And thats the other problem, you're thrashing around instead
of carefully analysing why the Ghost copy didnt work.

Any ideas how to get my "C" drive to be
on my boot disc? Instead of the HDD 1?

Do the clone again using ghost, and this time do it properly.

I'm really not certain how to use the Partition Magic Disk Mapper
to keep the associations either, but I'll read & try to find out.

Much safer to use Ghost properly.

If you have any hints, especially how I get my that
C designations swapped, I could still use the help.

Clone using Ghost properly.

( A thought, would blowing away all the info on HDD1,
then telling DiskManagement to rescan the disks work?

Too risky at this stage. It may well be booting
using some stuff off that drive and the system
may well become unbootable if you do that.

Not unrepairable, but safer to clone properly using ghost.

If the second drive is empty will it rename the partitions on HDD 0?

Probably not. The NT/2K/XP family attempts to keep partitions
with their original letters so you dont get in one hell of a mess.

I know that would work in the other OSs

The Win9x and ME family, anyway.

(not sure about XP). I know W2K & XP
say the partition names are set to persist.

Yep, thats by design, for a reason.

Old October 23rd 03, 08:31 AM
sunslight

"Zvi Netiv" wrote in message
"sunslight" wrote:

[...]

Rod,

But, the drive letters were not changed. So the old disc still has
drive letters C-F and the new drive, including the boot partition, G-J.

You avoid that problem by letting Win2K see JUST the
new drive on the first boot after the clone using Ghost.

***I've never cloned an entire drive before. To do it properly then, would
these be the steps?:

0) Start GHOST in DOS, point it to clone the old drive, which is set up as
master, to the new drive that is set as slave.
1a) Run
1) when clone is complete, select Quit
2) shut down system, Do Not Let It Reboot
3) remove old master drive
4) set the new cloned drive as master and reboot under Windows 2000.
5 have DiskManagement Action: rescan disk?
6) shut down system
7) reinstall the old drive as the slave
8) reboot to Windows 2000
9) have DiskManagement Action: recan disk
10) Reboot

The Drive Configuration Help files and they are very specific: "You cannot
reset either the system or boot partition drive letters."

Looking at my configuration table, it presently shows:

Volume G, **Status: System,** ** DISK 0.** (the DISK 0 and System, is
good)

Volume C, **Status: Active,** ** HDD1** (this is the old drive)

What I want is Volume C to be --Active, System (Sys. can actually go
anyplace) AND all on DISK 0-- followed by D,E,F;
and DISK 1 to be G,H,I J.

If I can do my GHOST properly and not let W2K see the old drive before it
sees the clone, maybe I can get there?

The steps I listed above, for GHOST (with whatever you correct), will be
what I will do.

I hope I'm getting there. (It's only 12:59 a.m. now, so I'm not quite so
tired.) It seems like there would be an easier way to do this?

Thanks for bearing with me.

Bob

Old October 23rd 03, 08:13 PM
Rod Speed

"sunslight" wrote in message news:XsLlb.6915$HS4.37387@attbi_s01...

"Zvi Netiv" wrote in message
"sunslight" wrote:

[...]

Thats not absolutely essential, but it is safer because
it wont automatically reboot once the clone is done.

point it to clone the old drive,

Yes.

which is set up as master, to the new drive that is set as slave.

Thats not essential, the order doesnt matter at that stage.

1a) Run
1) when clone is complete, select Quit
2) shut down system, Do Not Let It Reboot
3) remove old master drive

Yes, or just unplug the cables from it.

4) set the new cloned drive as master and reboot under Windows 2000.
5 have DiskManagement Action: rescan disk?

You shouldnt have to do anything, it should be automatic.
It is with XP, I forget the fine detail with 2K, didnt do it often enough.

6) shut down system
7) reinstall the old drive as the slave
8) reboot to Windows 2000

Yes.

9) have DiskManagement Action: recan disk

Again, you dont have to with XP, just do
what you want to the drive like format it etc.

10) Reboot

This shouldnt be necessary.

The Drive Configuration Help files and they are very specific:
"You cannot reset either the system or boot partition drive letters."

Yes, but that's overstating the real story. It can be done, but
much safer to just clone carefully instead so you dont need to.

Looking at my configuration table, it presently shows:

Volume G, **Status: System,** ** DISK 0.** (the DISK 0 and System, is
good)

Volume C, **Status: Active,** ** HDD1** (this is the old drive)

What I want is Volume C to be --Active, System (Sys. can actually go
anyplace) AND all on DISK 0-- followed by D,E,F;
and DISK 1 to be G,H,I J.

Dont worry about it, just clone it properly.

If I can do my GHOST properly and not let W2K see the
old drive before it sees the clone, maybe I can get there?

Yes, thats the trick, dont let Win2K see the original and
the clone on the first boot after the clone has been done.

The steps I listed above, for GHOST (with
whatever you correct), will be what I will do.

I hope I'm getting there. (It's only 12:59 a.m. now, so I'm not quite
so tired.) It seems like there would be an easier way to do this?

Fraid not, because the NT/2K/XP family attempts to
keep drive letters constant as drives are moved around
and it does that with the original drive after its cloned.

The way to avoid it is to not let it see the original and the
clone on the first boot after the clone. It will see that the
clone is a different physical drive on the first boot after
the clone with just the clone visible, and will just fix that
without doing anything to the drive letters in that case.

Thanks for bearing with me.

No problem. Happy to keep going for as long as it takes.