most stable current chipset for AMD?

Old May 21st 04, 07:23 AM
Loke

Default most stable current chipset for AMD?

Was just wondering which would be the best chipset if one wanted to
build a pc today with an athlon xp.
Old May 21st 04, 08:17 AM
Yousuf Khan

Loke wrote:
Was just wondering which would be the best chipset if one wanted to
build a pc today with an athlon xp.

I've had good luck with the SiS 735 chipset. Nvidias are good too I hear. I
have a personal bias against anything VIA though. Choose a VIA if it's
absolutely the cheapest solution available, there's no other reason to
choose VIA.

Yousuf Khan

Old May 21st 04, 05:51 PM
Kai Harrekilde-Petersen

"Yousuf Khan" writes:

Loke wrote:
Was just wondering which would be the best chipset if one wanted to
build a pc today with an athlon xp.

I've had good luck with the SiS 735 chipset. Nvidias are good too I hear. I
have a personal bias against anything VIA though. Choose a VIA if it's
absolutely the cheapest solution available, there's no other reason to
choose VIA.

Any particular reasons for disliking VIA?

Thanks,

Kai
Old May 21st 04, 06:35 PM

Kai Harrekilde-Petersen wrote:
"Yousuf Khan" writes:

Loke wrote:
Was just wondering which would be the best chipset if one wanted to
build a pc today with an athlon xp.

I've had good luck with the SiS 735 chipset. Nvidias are good too I hear. I
have a personal bias against anything VIA though. Choose a VIA if it's
absolutely the cheapest solution available, there's no other reason to
choose VIA.

Any particular reasons for disliking VIA?

Apart from the numerous stability problems, flaky drivers and an
interesting PCI implementation? No, not really. :-)

--
Bjørn-Ove Heimsund
Centre for Integrated Petroleum Research
Old May 21st 04, 06:44 PM
Rob Stow

Yousuf Khan wrote:

Loke wrote:

Was just wondering which would be the best chipset if one wanted to
build a pc today with an athlon xp.

I've had good luck with the SiS 735 chipset. Nvidias are good too I hear. I
have a personal bias against anything VIA though. Choose a VIA if it's
absolutely the cheapest solution available, there's no other reason to
choose VIA.

Personally, I like NForce2 better than SiS. I do, however,
second the motion against Via.
Old May 21st 04, 06:57 PM
Rob Stow

"Yousuf Khan" writes:

Loke wrote:

Was just wondering which would be the best chipset if one wanted to
build a pc today with an athlon xp.

I've had good luck with the SiS 735 chipset. Nvidias are good too I hear. I
have a personal bias against anything VIA though. Choose a VIA if it's
absolutely the cheapest solution available, there's no other reason to
choose VIA.

Any particular reasons for disliking VIA?

For me it is just that VIA-based motherboards have a proven
track record of instability and features that don't work as
advertised. I build two or three systems a week - a hobby,
essentially - and it is only the people who have me a build
a system around a VIA-based motherboard that end up reporting
problems. SiS and nVidia are not perfect, but they are much
better than VIA.

I'm *not* in the business of supporting systems that I've built.
There is only so much I'm willing to do in exchange for dinner
and a few beers. I want to put the pieces together, install the
OS and drivers, hand it over to the user, and be done with it.
I can do that with an nForce2 motherboard. I can seldom do that
with a VIA motherboard.
Old May 21st 04, 07:28 PM
Kai Harrekilde-Petersen

"Yousuf Khan" writes:

Loke wrote:

[...]

OK, three is a quorum :-)

I'm planning to build an AMD64 based system (which socket type is
still open), and it's always nice to learn from the mistakes of those
that have walked down the path before you.

What's the concencus on the AMD chipsets (8xxx)? I have been looking
at the Tyan Tiger K8WS which uses the 8111/8151 combo.

Thanks,

Kai

Old May 21st 04, 08:16 PM
Rob Stow

Kai Harrekilde-Petersen wrote:

What's the concencus on the AMD chipsets (8xxx)? I have been looking
at the Tyan Tiger K8WS which uses the 8111/8151 combo.

I've built three Opty dualies using the Tyan S2885 and
one using the S2875 and all use that chipset. No problems
so far.

Downside is that the S2885 natively only supports USB 1.1,
so you have to get a PCI card for USB 2.0 support.

The S2875 and S2875S have recently added a couple of
USB 2.0 ports and cut down the number of USB 1.1 ports.
Be careful when ordering so that you don't get stuck with
an older version that has only USB 1.1.
Old May 21st 04, 11:09 PM
Kai Harrekilde-Petersen

Rob Stow writes:

Kai Harrekilde-Petersen wrote:
What's the concencus on the AMD chipsets (8xxx)? I have been looking
at the Tyan Tiger K8WS which uses the 8111/8151 combo.

I've built three Opty dualies using the Tyan S2885 and
one using the S2875 and all use that chipset. No problems
so far.

Downside is that the S2885 natively only supports USB 1.1,
so you have to get a PCI card for USB 2.0 support.

As I read the AMD errata, it's a bug in the 8111.

The S2875 and S2875S have recently added a couple of
USB 2.0 ports and cut down the number of USB 1.1 ports.
Be careful when ordering so that you don't get stuck with
an older version that has only USB 1.1.

Thanks, I appreciate your information.

--Kai
Old May 22nd 04, 01:16 AM
Yousuf Khan

Rob Stow wrote:
Personally, I like NForce2 better than SiS. I do, however,
second the motion against Via.

SiS chipsets aren't the sexiest things in the world, but they work as
advertised.

Yousuf Khan