FUNNY Gateway Chat about "Centrino Mobile Technology".

Old January 13th 04, 10:40 PM
newtothis

Default FUNNY Gateway Chat about "Centrino Mobile Technology".

Just had a funny conversation with a rep at Gateway about what Centrino
actually is.

I'm not syaing I'm an expert about this (because I'm NOT), but I don't make
a living selling these products either.

I connected to Gateway's live chat feature to see if they had anything
similar to a Dell Latitude D505 I'm thinking about buying. During that chat
we got off topic on what Centrino actually is. Read below if you understand
what "Intel Centrino Mobile Technology" is and would like a chuckle...(I
changed the names).

11:30 New party ('Eric') has joined the session
11:30 You have been placed in queue. An advisor will join soon to assist
you. When you choose to finish your chat, please use the EXIT CHAT button on
your right.
11:31 New party ('Jenny') has joined the session
11:32 Eric Hello Jenny, I'm looking at buying a laptop from Dell, but
wanted to see what you guys might have that would be similar.
11:33 Jenny Hello Eric
11:33 Jenny How are you today ?
11:33 Jenny Welcome to Gateway.com! Home of America's Best Selling Plasma
TV and Hot New Line of Digital Cameras! My name is Jenny your esales
advisor. What would you like to chat about today?
11:34 Jenny Great ,
11:34 Eric The Dell I'm thinking about is a Latitude D505 with the
following:
11:34 Eric Pentium M 1.5 processor
11:34 Eric 15 inch screen
11:35 Eric 512 MB DDR SDRAM memory
11:35 Eric 40 GB hard drive
11:35 Eric CD-RW/DVD drive
11:35 Eric 64MB graphics card
11:36 Eric 802.11b wireless card
11:36 Eric That's about it...I want to stick with the Pentium M processor
and stay away from the wide screen that normally comes with the M.
11:36 Jenny Do you need a floppy
11:37 Eric Not really
11:37 Eric the price was just under $1,400
11:37 Jenny Or windows xp pro or office
11:37 Eric Just XP Home is okay (no MS Office)
11:38 Jenny Does the dell have the centrno technology ?
11:38 Eric yes, that's why I want to stick with the M processor
11:38 Jenny Ok
11:39 Jenny http://www.gateway.com/home/products..._catalog.shtml
11:39 Jenny Looks like the 450 x customized it the closest i can get to
those specs
11:40 Eric sounds similar if you can customize it. What would be the price?
(It's already higher than the Dell)
11:41 Jenny Not all M , Have the cetrino that is why i asked
11:41 Jenny Total $1,918.98 ,
11:41 Eric I know. They have to have the processor, the chipset, and the
wireless card.
11:41 Jenny Shipping and handling is free tax may apply
11:42 Jenny Correct on that ,
11:43 Eric $1918? The Dell is $1,400?
11:44 Jenny Im on dell's web site and i do not see the d505
11:45 Jenny Sorry i found it , one sec
11:45 Eric It's on there. go to
http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=04&l=en&s=bsd
11:46 Eric I can send you the quote I have if it will change anything in
terms of Gateway's price.
11:47 Jenny Please do , my email address is
11:48 Eric Will you be able to match the deal?
11:49 Jenny I will do my best
11:49 Jenny Something sounds incorrect we are not normally that far off in
price
11:50 Jenny I am on there site and can not get it to give me a quote, or
customize. I think there site is not working correct right now
11:51 Eric I just forwarded it to you.
11:51 Eric Dell is also offering a free Palm Zire 21 PDA (retails for $99)
11:52 Eric So the total price was $1,477 with a $100 rebate AND a free Palm
Zire 21 PDA. It looks like they are offering a great deal compared to what
Gateway can do.
11:54 Eric (so $1,377 after the rebate)
11:56 Jenny Can i give you a call after i look at this ?
11:56 Eric I'd rather give you a call, what number?
11:56 Eric Will you be able to compete with this offer?
11:57 Jenny When i customize it i come up with more then 1900
11:57 Jenny
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...bsd&kc=6W30 0
11:58 Eric The quote is for the price I mentioned. I'm not sure about if
you customize it on the site.
12:02 Jenny I can not pull up your quote you sent me
12:02 Jenny This is the page i get
12:02 Eric did you get the email?
12:02 Jenny
http://membership.dell.com/myaccount...to/default.asp
12:03 Eric that link won't open for me
12:03 Eric Did you get the email I sent you?
12:04 Eric I just sent it to you again

We were disconnected at this point. I re-connected and the chat continues
below:

12:11 New party ('Eric') has joined the session
12:11 You have been placed in queue. An advisor will join soon to assist
you. When you choose to finish your chat, please use the EXIT CHAT button on
your right.
12:13 Eric I was just disconnected while chatting with Jenny. Can you
transfer me?
12:14 New party ('BT') has joined the session
12:15 BT yep one sec
12:15 Party ('BT') has left the session
12:16 New party ('Jenny') has joined the session
12:18 Eric I was just talking to you about the Dell Latitude D505
12:19 Jenny Ok and i did look at this quote
12:19 Eric Did you get the email I sent you with the quote?
12:19 Eric ok,
12:19 Jenny It is not the centrno technology
12:19 Jenny That is the difference in price
12:20 Eric why isn't it the Centrino technology?
12:20 Jenny It is just the Pentium 4 M, M = mobile chip
12:20 Eric No it's not... It's the Pentium M at 1.5GHz
12:20 Jenny It does not say it is and the 802.11 is not part of the
processor itself
12:21 Jenny Correct then the 450 is not matching = specs the 350 or 305
would be an equal system
12:21 Eric Yes, it does say it. The very first line says "Lat D505, 1.5GHZ
PEN M, 15.0XGA
12:22 Eric 1.5GHZ PEN M stands for the Pentium M 1.5
12:23 Jenny Can i call you ?
12:23 Jenny It is a M technology but not the centrino
12:23 Eric If this is what I'm saying it is...CAN YOU COMPETE with this? If
so, I'll call you, if not, there's no reason to.
12:23 Jenny http://www.gateway.com/home/products..._catalog.shtml
12:24 Jenny I can i have a much more powerful system
12:24 Eric Why do you keep saying it's not the Centrino? Did you see where
it says the Pentium M 1.5 also the Intel pro wireless card?
12:24 Jenny The M350S
12:25 Jenny Yes but that is not centrino
12:25 Eric It also has the 855 chipset which would be the third component
of what makes up "Centrino"
12:25 Jenny Centrino technology is all those but it is also all built in
the processor chip itself
12:25 Eric Yes it, is. Centrino is made up of the M processor, the 855
chipset, and the intel wireless card. If a laptop has those three components
it IS "Centrino"
12:26 Eric If you disagree with this, please go and ask someone to confirm.
12:27 Jenny On your quote it shows it is a ' 1.5 not that it is a M 1.5
with centrino technology , when i made a quote offering this it was much
more
12:27 Eric Yes (for the second time) it DOES say it on the first line.
12:28 Eric "LAT D505 1.5GHZ PEN M"
12:28 Jenny The fisrt line says this : Latitude D505, 1.50GHz, Pentium M,
15.0 XGA, English
12:28 Jenny Correct , it does not say centrino technology
12:28 Eric CORRECT - Pentium M 1.5GHz + 855 chipset + Intel Pro/Wireless
802.11 card = Centrino technology
12:29 Jenny Correct , so that is = to my m 305 sereise
12:30 Eric you really need to go and ask someone what "Centrino" really is.
this is just silly.
12:31 Jenny I know what it is , Intel makes a lot of processors
12:31 Eric Centrino is NOT a processor
12:31 Jenny I also see dell offers this system with a centrno chip and it
is much more then 1400
12:31 Jenny Yes it is
12:32 Eric Centrino is not a chip.
12:32 Eric It's not anything tangible...it's a technology made up of the M
processor, the 855 chipset, and the wireless card.
12:33 Jenny The 802.11 is part of the processor chip itself
12:33 Eric if a laptop has those three components...then (and only then) is
it considered to have "Centrino Mobile Technology".
12:34 Eric Let's get back to the point. Can you compete with this offer
from Dell?
12:35 Eric If not, we don't need to continue.
12:35 Eric If you can, I'd be happy to see what you could offer.
12:36 Jenny On the quote you sent me the mM350S is equal system for less
12:36 Eric It has the Pentium 4...NOT the same processor as the Pentium M
!!!!!
12:36 Jenny No it has the : Processor: Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor
2.6GHz with Hyper-Threading Technology
12:37 Jenny This has a more powerfully processor the hyper threading
12:38 Eric the 350S has a (normally used in a desktop) P4 w/ HT ... not the
P4 mobile processor.
12:38 Jenny Or o have the m305xl this thas the : Mobile Intel® Pentium® 4
Processor 2.2GHz-M4
12:39 Jenny These are mobile processors , not the desk top
12:40 Eric Still, just a typical P4 processor ... not a mobile P4. This is
helping you more than it is helping me. You actually could be learning a lot
here if you listen and not try and correct me...lol.
12:40 Eric Go and ask one of your techs if these units have the mobile P4
or just the typical P4's
12:40 Eric There IS a difference
12:41 Eric The three Intel processor you should know the difference between
in these laptops are the Pentium 4, the Pentium 4-M, and the Pentium M
12:42 Jenny I can email you some quotes to look at
12:42 Eric the Pentium M is the one you need (along with the chipset and
the wireless card) to have Centrino technology
12:42 Jenny I hope i am not confusing you on this
12:43 Eric if they are the same type of configuration as the one I sent
you, go ahead. Don't bother with any of the ones you mentioned...they don't
have the Pentium M processor.
12:43 Eric I hope I'm not confusing YOU on this...lol !!!!!!
12:43 Jenny Your correct on the chip set
12:44 Eric thank you
12:44 Jenny But the quote you sent me does not say this
12:44 Eric say what?
12:45 Eric Look, I can't spend anymore time on this. Send me a quote if you
can come up with something that would compete with the Dell Quote I sent you
(with the Pentium M).
12:46 Jenny It just says D505, 1.50GHz, Pentium 4, 15.0 XGA, English
12:46 Eric Yes, that's correct, what in the world would you like it to say?
12:46 Jenny If you have any questions throughout your research, please give
me a call directly or email me. My direct number is 800.846.2036 ext. XXXXX
and my email is . I work on commission and would love the
opportunity to earn your business!!!
12:47 Eric Like I said, send me a quote if you can come up with something
similar to the Dell.

Old January 14th 04, 12:42 AM
James Knott

newtothis wrote:

Just had a funny conversation with a rep at Gateway about what Centrino
actually is.

Isn't it a sub-atomic particle??? ;-)

--

Fundamentalism is fundamentally wrong.

james.knott.

Old January 14th 04, 02:10 AM
Martin Slaney

brian wrote:

You're a real jerk. Is that the way you speak to everyone?

Uh ? You mean you don't expect sales staff to know something about what
they're selling ?

Old January 14th 04, 03:48 AM
newtothis

Hmmm...I'm not sure how to answer this one, but I do expect a Gateway
salesperson to know about the Gateway product they are trying to sell. I
don't feel I was out of line or rude. I started by letting the person know
what the Centrino technology is (to my understanding) and that there is no
such thing as a Centrino processor.

If you think I was rude...okay, but I doubt very many others would feel the
same way after reading the "chat".

To each there own, so have a wonderful day.

le.rogers.com...

Old January 14th 04, 04:00 AM
Slashed Zero

"newtothis" wrote in message
news62Nb.51250$I06.291158@attbi_s01...
Hmmm...I'm not sure how to answer this one, but I do expect a Gateway
salesperson to know about the Gateway product they are trying to sell. I
don't feel I was out of line or rude. I started by letting the person know
what the Centrino technology is (to my understanding) and that there is no
such thing as a Centrino processor.

If you think I was rude...okay, but I doubt very many others would feel

the
same way after reading the "chat".

To each there own, so have a wonderful day.

Not rude at all. The salesperson was rude to simply ignore what you were
trying to say. The dialog almost reads as if the salesperson was some
typical artificial intelligence program (like Eliza the virtual
therapist...).

Old January 14th 04, 05:24 AM
Rocket

I don't think so... an AI program would, at least, have used a
spell-checker.
--
Rocket

Old January 14th 04, 06:10 AM
andrew2000

sounds like you were talking to a BOT not a person!

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...us&cs=04&l=en&
[...]

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellsto...05sb&m_11=XPHS
P1N&m_22=BASAD&m_1=D5P15X&m_19=TM1400&c=us&l=en&s= bsd&kc=6W300

http://membership.dell.com/myaccount...SD&app=QTO&url
=http://qto.us.dell.com/qto/default.asp

Old January 14th 04, 04:03 PM
Papa

You were NOT rude. In fact, I thought you were very patient - more so than I
would have been!