How do you install WinXP?

Old July 6th 04, 06:05 AM
JAD

Default How do you install WinXP?

boot from the CD-ROM with the XP disk in...RTM

"¤jº~¥Á±Ú" wrote in message
Hi, gurus:

I just build a new PC, everything is blank right now.
After I use a Win98 bootdisk to get into DOS, then put my WinXP CD

into
CD-ROM
when I start to run setup.exe from the WinXP CD
it says:"This program can only run in Windows environment"
How do you install WinXP onto a blank PC?

ps: I remember with Win2000, its CD offers an utility to create 4

floppy
disks
These disks can run from DOS environment.

Old July 6th 04, 06:23 AM
David Maynard

=A4j=BA~=A5=C1=B1=DA wrote:

Where is the XP disk? I only have a XP CD, which is in CD-ROM

Correct. And you BOOT from the CD-ROM.

=20
"JAD" =BC=B6=BCg=A9=F3=B6l=A5=F3=B7s=BBD
=20

Old July 6th 04, 06:52 AM
BruceM

XP & Dos are enemies!!!
Now that you have those few dos files on there, you will have a little bit
of trouble getting it started.
For the easiest way, pop you HD in another computer & format the disk again.
(can format in NTFS if you like) (without loading system files on it)
Once you have a COMPLETELY blank drive, put it back in your new comp & after
setting your bios to boot from your CD drive, pop the XP CD in the CD drive
& boot.
ONLY TELL IT TO BOOT FROM CD THE FIRST TIME !!!
Next time it asks you, just let it go & it will start from the HD.
Just follow the prompts & don't panic or rush.
Yes, to new partition.
yes, to NTFS.
Yes, to one partition. (or dif if you like?)
BruceM

"David Maynard" wrote in message
¤jº~¥Á±Ú wrote:

Where is the XP disk? I only have a XP CD, which is in CD-ROM

Correct. And you BOOT from the CD-ROM.

"JAD" ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D

Old July 6th 04, 07:09 AM
????

Thank you David, I forgot to set my BIOS boot sequency to boot from CD-ROM
You are right, after corrected the BIOS setting, it boots from the XP CD.

"David Maynard"

Old July 6th 04, 07:21 AM
Wes Newell

On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 05:10:36 +0000, ¤jº~¥Á±Ú wrote:

Where is the XP disk? I only have a XP CD, which is in CD-ROM

First I'd like to thank you for proving a point. Now, CD stands for
Compact Disc (disk). Now do you know where your XP disk is? Set the bios
to boot from CD, save and exit. That should get you going.

Old July 6th 04, 07:40 AM
????

"Wes Newell"
???????an.2004.07.06.06.25.26.652907@TAKEOUTveri zon.net...
On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 05:10:36 +0000, ¤jº~¥Á±Ú wrote:

Where is the XP disk? I only have a XP CD, which is in CD-ROM

First I'd like to thank you for proving a point. Now, CD stands for
Compact Disc (disk). Now do you know where your XP disk is? Set the bios
to boot from CD, save and exit. That should get you going.

Yes, I did it. Thank you so much.
I thought the disk means floppy disk.
Because I experienced Win2000, it offers 1 CD and 4 floppy disks.
You boot from the floppy disk, then install Win2000 from CD.
And I did not know, XP CD is bootable.

Old July 6th 04, 10:41 AM
Scott

¤jº~¥Á±Ú wrote:

Where is the XP disk? I only have a XP CD, which is in CD-ROM

Correct. And you BOOT from the CD-ROM.

Oh dear god!
Scott

Old July 6th 04, 12:10 PM
Conor

In article , says...
XP & Dos are enemies!!!
Now that you have those few dos files on there, you will have a little bit
of trouble getting it started.
For the easiest way, pop you HD in another computer & format the disk again.
(can format in NTFS if you like) (without loading system files on it)
Once you have a COMPLETELY blank drive, put it back in your new comp & after
setting your bios to boot from your CD drive, pop the XP CD in the CD drive
& boot.

PLease do not give out anymore advice on PC faults until you've learnt
a bit more. The suggestion of putting the HDD in another PC just to
format it is frankly quite ludicrous. Oh, and another point, XP and DOS
aren't enemies.

--
Conor

Dumb as a box of rocks...
Old July 6th 04, 12:12 PM
Conor

In article ,
???? says...

"Wes Newell"
???????an.2004.07.06.06.25.26.652907@TAKEOUTveri zon.net...
On Tue, 06 Jul 2004 05:10:36 +0000, ?jº~¥Á±Ú wrote:

Where is the XP disk? I only have a XP CD, which is in CD-ROM

First I'd like to thank you for proving a point. Now, CD stands for
Compact Disc (disk). Now do you know where your XP disk is? Set the bios
to boot from CD, save and exit. That should get you going.

Yes, I did it. Thank you so much.
I thought the disk means floppy disk.
Because I experienced Win2000, it offers 1 CD and 4 floppy disks.
You boot from the floppy disk, then install Win2000 from CD.
And I did not know, XP CD is bootable.

Win2k CD is bootable too.

If you ever do this again, simply change to the i386 folder on the
CDROM drive and type WINNT. This will run the DOS setup and is
applicable to WinNT4,Win2000/WinXP.

--
Conor

Dumb as a box of rocks...
Old July 6th 04, 04:31 PM
Dick Sidbury

¤jº~¥Á±Ú wrote:

Where is the XP disk? I only have a XP CD, which is in CD-ROM

go in to the bios setup program and set the default boot device to
floppy and the second boot device to cd-rom and the third boot device to
HD-0.

Then you should be able to boot from the CD.

dick

WinXP Install Problem? BobK General 3 June 2nd 04 10:10 PM
Serial ATA drivers for fresh install of WinXP??? Alceryes General 1 December 26th 03 11:21 PM
System lock-up after new ram & WinXP install Ebodski Overclocking AMD Processors 2 December 14th 03 03:21 AM
Completely Copying the WinXP Partition After Clean Install... Will Mercer Homebuilt PC's 7 September 15th 03 08:19 PM