Why are PC sales declining ? (Skybuck thoughts on it too)

Old April 20th 13, 08:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,sci.electronics.design
Jasen Betts

Default Why are PC sales declining ? (Skybuck thoughts on it too)

On 2013-04-19, mike wrote:
On 4/18/2013 6:02 PM, George Herold wrote:

Yes, Win 7.

3.) How much memory? I figured 8 or 12G.

4GB would be enough but 8GB would be comfortable.
Memory is cheap.
That's my thought... gain is cheap too!

What the heck are you guys doing with all that RAM?

disk cache!

Muy estupido.

cache? not.

I used "speeddisk" back when software based caching actually had
benefit (286/386 days). It does not with today's drives and I/O buses.

As always, wrong!

Disk cache is built into modern OS kernels. The OS keeps track of what
you've accessed from, or recent written to the disk in the otherwise
unused memory.

Old April 20th 13, 10:33 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

Hiya George,

Building a good gaming rig is not easy, I tried myself, and you can google
for the results, it was a pain in the ass.

Problems faced: overheat, dust collection.

Having said that.

The latest and greatest graphics card is the nvidia titan. Even a super
computer was named after it.

However one would have to make sure the power supply can handle it and
perhaps the motherboard as well.

The titan probably gets hot though, so a passively cooled graphics card is
interesting too though they not as powerfull.

Perhaps a mid range card is safest.

Also a good case is needed for ventilation.

You mentioned upgrading an old desktop and then you mention buying a new one
?

I am a bit confused about that.

If truely upgrading have to be carefull that all components can handle it.

If buying a new one, perhaps being a computer from a specialized gaming rig
company is an idea.

Perhaps they can throw it some nice water cooling... or just a decently
designed air cooled PC.

It all depends on the budget

Minecraft is probably not the most demanding game but you also mentioned
overheat of laptop... so you are familiar with the overheat topic

Dell is probably crap, HP is probably crap too... a little bit less crap
though just cheap... at least my mothers HP still running barely... it
little used though... my sister bought a Dell it died

All computers seem to die lately

1.) should I buy from Dell? (I've used them in the past.)

If you lazy perhaps yes, or give Alien Ware a try or so - they
selling gaming rigs if I am not mistaken

2.) Which operating system. I was thinking of win8... but now you've
all made me nervous, but I wouold like some newer version of windows
(running XP at home and work.) moslty becasue the kids will be using
the newer version in school. So maybe Win7?

Perhaps wait a bit for the new windows 8.1 operating system.

It would suck having to buy windows 7 with all those services packs and
patches... it would be patching 2 days at least.

Also it's on the way out so not really future ready ?! More and more games
will start focussing on windows 8...

3.) How much memory? I figured 8 or 12G.

It's a bit overkill but always good to have more.

Even my system with 4 GB ram only uses 3.2 and it works fine.

If you want to be future proof get 8GB otherwise spent the money on
something else.

4.) Do I need the fancy graphics cards for gaming? (My thought was I
could let my son pitch in for a better card if that's needed.)

Yes for good gaming a graphics card is needed/essential.

I see more and more games using CUDA, so getting an NVIDIA card would be
wise plus I am a slight nvidia fan so I may be biased

I hope to have been of some help, trust me it not easy

Bye,
Skybuck.

Old April 20th 13, 04:55 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
ToolPackinMama

I think PC sales are declining because Skybuck finally got one to work.
Old April 20th 13, 05:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,sci.electronics.design
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 11:33:06 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
wrote:

Hiya George,

Building a good gaming rig is not easy, I tried myself, and you can google
for the results, it was a pain in the ass.

You are an idiot. you proved it yourself. Time and time again.

Problems faced: overheat, dust collection.

You are an idiot... proven with your retarded posts... Time and time
again.

Having said that.

You didn't say anything, dumbass.

The latest and greatest graphics card is the nvidia titan. Even a super
computer was named after it.

And it is the last thing a dumbass like you needs to be trying to get
installed. and working.

However one would have to make sure the power supply can handle it and
perhaps the motherboard as well.

Perhaps? Perhaps you are a clueless twit who should not be attempting
to guide anyone's PC build endeavors.

The titan probably gets hot though, so a passively cooled graphics card is
interesting too though they not as powerfull.

And we need you to deliver these common sense bits of info? No. We
can see perfectly fine when we choose our video cards. We can weigh all
the factors just fine. We do not need an utter idiot, who can't even
keep a single machine running, trying to tell folks about computer parts.
One repost of one of your stupid rants where you blame things on stupid
reasons which were not even true and folks would see that your brain is
no more than eleven years of age in term of maturity, and your knowledge
is not much more advanced than that.

Perhaps a mid range card is safest.

Also a good case is needed for ventilation.

You mentioned upgrading an old desktop and then you mention buying a new one
?

I am a bit confused about that.

And that never happens, right?

If truely upgrading have to be carefull that all components can handle it.

Really? can't just buy a bunch of parts that will not work together
and mash them together anyway?

Do you ever say anything that isn't already an obvious requisite?

If buying a new one, perhaps being a computer from a specialized gaming rig
company is an idea.

Only for dorks like you, where Mommy is signing the check.

Perhaps they can throw it some nice water cooling... or just a decently
designed air cooled PC.

It all depends on the budget

And locking it in a cage so YOU can't lay your hands on it and break
it, like all the others you touched.

Minecraft is probably not the most demanding game but you also mentioned
overheat of laptop... so you are familiar with the overheat topic

There are plenty of games that fully tax the PC.

Dell is probably crap, HP is probably crap too... a little bit less crap
though just cheap... at least my mothers HP still running barely... it
little used though... my sister bought a Dell it died

Before or after you touched it?

All computers seem to die lately

Before or after you touch them?

1.) should I buy from Dell? (I've used them in the past.)

If you lazy perhaps yes, or give Alien Ware a try or so - they
selling gaming rigs if I am not mistaken

So, do you act like you are guessing your way through life, or are you
really actually guessing your way through life?

2.) Which operating system. I was thinking of win8... but now you've
all made me nervous, but I wouold like some newer version of windows
(running XP at home and work.) moslty becasue the kids will be using
the newer version in school. So maybe Win7?

Perhaps wait a bit for the new windows 8.1 operating system.

It would suck having to buy windows 7 with all those services packs and
patches... it would be patching 2 days at least.

You're an idiot. A complete and utter stooge.

Also it's on the way out so not really future ready ?! More and more games
will start focussing on windows 8...

3.) How much memory? I figured 8 or 12G.

It's a bit overkill but always good to have more.

Even my system with 4 GB ram only uses 3.2 and it works fine.

If you want to be future proof get 8GB otherwise spent the money on
something else.

The only thing you have ever said that even comes close to being right.

4.) Do I need the fancy graphics cards for gaming? (My thought was I
could let my son pitch in for a better card if that's needed.)

Yes for good gaming a graphics card is needed/essential.

For ALL computer use, a graphics card is essential, idiot. For gaming
a "fairly good" graphics card is needed.

I see more and more games using CUDA, so getting an NVIDIA card would be
wise plus I am a slight nvidia fan so I may be biased

I hope to have been of some help, trust me it not easy

Not with you and all your bent perceptions at the helm.
Old April 20th 13, 05:50 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 11:55:27 -0400, ToolPackinMama
wrote:

I think PC sales are declining because Skybuck finally got one to work.

M$ reported 16% or 18% profits across the board this week. Not the
case with Intel. IBM as well I'd imagine in a more restrictively
tightening of care from a defensive and watchful stance.

Also saw and 7" screen on an Android device powered by a CPU running
around 1.3Ghz. Interesting thing about that, indeed, is the reality
scale it incorporated: a reality as according to a Chinese production
models. And the price more specifically - $67US.

Wonderbar. Note that word and send it via a courier to the
appropriate Chinese emissary.

At $67 - while listening to an imagined sound of floors caving through
for $800 Samsung counterparts - how long is it going to take,
seriously, to accelerate to exhaust the resources of what, exactly,
these handhelds are capable. . .

Might people recant then, just possibly with a squeak to say -- Duarn
it, I wish I had all the capabilities of a real computer and what a
real PC can do.

Who are these people I see short-stroking it? Are their inimitable
interests one reporting behind an industry, one and same, so being
probably paid by them, too, in an attempt to shift greater control and
influence into paid/leased distribution resources limited to cloud
distribution centers? Pretty big letter to fit for such small
screens, methinks.

This whole last year seems so surreal. I could just puke. I cannot
believe they'd trot up with their cell phones to call them oh so much
smarter phones, now, than PCs. Like a national moratorium on the wire
fences surrounding pre-schooler's recess yard had been removed after
another particularly effective propaganda campaign, and they'd all
filed up in the long unemployment lines stretching from Twitter to the
IT publishing houses.
Old April 20th 13, 08:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,sci.electronics.design
Tom Lake

wrote:

Hiya George,

Building a good gaming rig is not easy, I tried myself, and you can google
for the results, it was a pain in the ass.

You are an idiot. you proved it yourself. Time and time again.

C'mon, Decadent. Don't hide your feelings. Tell us what you really think of
Skybuck.

Old April 20th 13, 11:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Joe Gwinn

In article , Jasen Betts

On 2013-04-19, mike wrote:
On 4/18/2013 6:02 PM, George Herold wrote:

Yes, Win 7.

3.) How much memory? I figured 8 or 12G.

4GB would be enough but 8GB would be comfortable.
Memory is cheap.
That's my thought... gain is cheap too!

What the heck are you guys doing with all that RAM?

disk cache!

Faster disk!

A while ago, I put an enterprise-class 10,000 rpm server disk on a
PowerMac, and put the operating system and applications on it. The
effect was dramatic - the computer became about twice as fast for all
but compute-bound tasks.

The disk was a Seagate Cheetah, as I recall. Used differential SCSI.

Joe Gwinn
Old April 21st 13, 10:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

I think this is a pretty good guidance/rule:

For every hertz there should be a byte and vice versa

So if you plan on buying a 8.0 GHz processor, for example 4 cores x 2.0 GHz
then do indeed get 8 GB of ram !

Better be safe than sorry

Bye,
Skybuck =D

Old April 21st 13, 12:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch,nl.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.design
Skybuck Flying[_7_]

Funny thing is my mam already has a samsung tablet...

She already has one for a month now.

She kept it secret from me ! LOL.

Later today I am going to visit her and meet the thing ! LOL =D

Bye,
Skybuck =D

It's a black one btw, a samsung galaxy 10 ! =D
Old April 21st 13, 06:58 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Larc[_3_]

On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 12:50:36 -0400, Flasherly wrote:

| On Sat, 20 Apr 2013 11:55:27 -0400, ToolPackinMama
| wrote:
|

| I think PC sales are declining because Skybuck finally got one to work.
|
| M$ reported 16% or 18% profits across the board this week. Not the
| case with Intel. IBM as well I'd imagine in a more restrictively
| tightening of care from a defensive and watchful stance.
|
| Also saw and 7" screen on an Android device powered by a CPU running
| around 1.3Ghz. Interesting thing about that, indeed, is the reality
| scale it incorporated: a reality as according to a Chinese production
| models. And the price more specifically - $67US.
|
| Wonderbar. Note that word and send it via a courier to the
| appropriate Chinese emissary.
|
| At $67 - while listening to an imagined sound of floors caving through
| for $800 Samsung counterparts - how long is it going to take,
| seriously, to accelerate to exhaust the resources of what, exactly,
| these handhelds are capable. . .
|
| Might people recant then, just possibly with a squeak to say -- Duarn
| it, I wish I had all the capabilities of a real computer and what a
| real PC can do.
|
| Who are these people I see short-stroking it? Are their inimitable
| interests one reporting behind an industry, one and same, so being
| probably paid by them, too, in an attempt to shift greater control and
| influence into paid/leased distribution resources limited to cloud
| distribution centers? Pretty big letter to fit for such small
| screens, methinks.
|
| This whole last year seems so surreal. I could just puke. I cannot
| believe they'd trot up with their cell phones to call them oh so much
| smarter phones, now, than PCs. Like a national moratorium on the wire
| fences surrounding pre-schooler's recess yard had been removed after
| another particularly effective propaganda campaign, and they'd all
| filed up in the long unemployment lines stretching from Twitter to the
| IT publishing houses.

It's all part of a big dumbing down process. And it's not just in the area of
electronics. Just listen to some of the stuff people are calling good music. Feed
everybody sh*t long enough and a lot of them will develop a taste for it.

Larc