Video Fan Runs Before Standby

Old December 29th 10, 04:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Daddy[_4_]

Default Video Fan Runs Before Standby

I'm not 100% sure I know what I'm talking about in this question, so
please bear with me.

I have a Studio XPS 8100 desktop running Win7 Pro x64. I recently
started to let my computer go to "hybrid" sleep" at night instead of
powering off as I have always done.

As I understand it, hybrid sleep means that the computer initially goes
to sleep (S3, aka standby)and then, after a user-selected period of
time, the computer goes to hibernation (S4).

I have noticed that when my computer goes to sleep (S3), just before the
hard drives power off, the fan on my video card revs up for about 4
seconds. The fan also revs up when my computer comes out of sleep. (So
far, my computer has not 'slept' long enough to go into hibernation.)

Is it normal for the video card fan to rev up like this? Why does this
happen?

Daddy
Old December 29th 10, 04:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Bob Villa

On Dec 29, 9:16*am, Daddy wrote:
[...]

My guess (my laptop does this) since programs are being closed
(temp.sensing) may be a safety precaution.
Old December 29th 10, 06:45 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
GTS-NJ

That's not how hybrid sleep works. The computer sleeps and ALSO saves a
copy of memory to the Hard Drive the same way that hibernate does. This
allows for the faster start up from sleep than hibernate but protects
against data loss or other problems if power should be lost while the
computer is sleeping. In other words, it will not go from sleep to
hibernate unless there is a power loss.
( See
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...sked-questions
if interested)

The video fan activity is a function of thermostatic speed control being
temporarily off while the device driver is inactive but the device powered.
In other words, it probably defaults to full speed unless temp is being
actively monitored and controlled.

Old December 29th 10, 07:11 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_2_]

On 12/29/2010 10:16 AM, Daddy wrote:
[...]

There is no "normal", but the video card fan is probably controlled by
the motherboard BIOS, which takes necessary safeguards to reduce the
probability of the video card overheating. Not a bad idea, because of
all the failures of video chips over the years. Of course, you have to
do your part too, by making sure that not too much dust and dirt
accumulates on the heat sinks and fans inside the computer... Ben Myers