Will upgrading a video driver help improve LCD image quality?

Old December 12th 07, 11:37 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
History Fan

Default Will upgrading a video driver help improve LCD image quality?

I have a Dell E510 computer, running Windows XP SP2. Pentium D
processor at 3.0Ghz. 2GB of RAM. My video card is the 256MB ATI Hyper
Memory PCI-Express X 16 Radeon X600 SE.

Just recently, I purchased the new Dell 2208WFP monitor. I'm generally
happy with it, although I would like to improve the text quality a little
bit. I wish they were a bit darker. The 2208WFP also seems too bright at
times. I'm using a DVI connection, in Desktop mode. I have tinkered
relentlessly with the brightness, contrast, red, blue and green color
settings. That has helped a little bit. I also tried other monitor modes,
but 'Desktop' seems to be the best. Yesterday, out of curiosity, I
unplugged the DVI cable and used the VGA cable. In all honestly, I could
not see any difference in the appearance.

I asked Dell tech support about this issue. The tech suggested I
upgrade my video driver, claiming that would improve the quality. The video
driver I am currently using is dated March 2007.

I'm VERY skeptical that upgrading the video driver will change
anything. Could I be wrong? Anyone have other tips I may not have thought
of?

Old December 12th 07, 11:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_2_]

"History Fan" wrote in message
[...]

At the risk of asking the obvious, are you using the ClearType Power Toy for
your text?
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...ePowerToy.mspx

I don't think a video driver will address the issue at all.

Old December 12th 07, 11:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
History Fan

"S.Lewis" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

I've tried ClearType several times, and even have the Microsoft
ClearType PowerToy installed. I've run the setup wizard, but just don't
like ClearType, in all candor. I prefer the standard effect.

I have another Dell monitor, the 1907FP. It is using a VGA connection,
standard effect, and the text quality is darker and more pronounced. Both
monitors use TN panels. I can definitely see a difference with the 1907FP
monitor when I use a DVI or VGA cable.

Old December 13th 07, 12:00 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
History Fan

"Tom Scales" wrote in message
Driver MIGHT help, but the cleartype suggestion is a good one.

The BIG question is, what resolution are you using. There is only ONE
proper resolution and you HAVE to use that one.

[...]

I'm using the optimal resolution, 1680x1050. I would be happy enough
if the video and text quality of the 2208WFP matched that of my 1907FP.

Old December 13th 07, 12:03 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
History Fan

Another thing I tried: yesterday when I plugged in the VGA cable, I
reset the monitor settings to the Factory default. Then I ran Auto
Adjustment. All it did was slightly lower the brightness and contrast
settings. Not low enough to suit me. I was hoping it would tweak a setting
I hadn't thought of before.

Old December 13th 07, 12:30 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_2_]

"History Fan" wrote in message
Another thing I tried: yesterday when I plugged in the VGA cable, I
reset the monitor settings to the Factory default. Then I ran Auto
Adjustment. All it did was slightly lower the brightness and contrast
settings. Not low enough to suit me. I was hoping it would tweak a
setting I hadn't thought of before.

I don't know what to tell you. I also have the 1907FPt running at 1280/1024
with ClearType and it's very nice.

Old December 13th 07, 11:06 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Geoff

[...]

unless it's setup wrong to begin with, it won't do bug all

make sure you are running the native res of your TFT
1680x1080 or whatever it is

play with settings on the monitor