XPS 410 Power Supply Fan Speed/Noise

Old December 10th 07, 08:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Rich[_8_]

Default XPS 410 Power Supply Fan Speed/Noise

This morning when I turned on my XPS 410 the power supply fan started
running at "high speed". It is moving more air and is louder than before. It
used to be dead quiet. This is not a bad bearing noise. The case and CPS
fans are OK.

I keep the inside of the case and the power supply clean with air-in-a-can
and I gave the PS a cleaning after the problem started. There are no
applications running that draw appreciable power. The output voltage from
the APC UPS is normal and @ 60 Hz.

PC Wizard 2007, siw, and the Dell Diagnostics all report no problems. The
CPU voltage is 1.34 V, Core 1 is 27 deg C, Core 2 is 29 deg C and the hard
drive is 30 deg C.

I called Dell tech support but I am sort of out of luck as the 1-year
original warranty expired 2 days ago. Their suggestion was change the PS.

I ordered a refurb PS today from Dell.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Rich

Old December 10th 07, 09:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Hi!

Two days out of warranty? You might have a case there...if you elect
to pursue it.

I ordered a refurb PS today from Dell.

Any ideas?

If the PSU features fan speed control, it could be the fan control
mechanism simply failed and let the fan go to full speed. Better than
the alternative, although the lack of a fan does help contain the
burning smell... :-( If the supply still works, it might be worth
hanging on to it as a spare or selling it with the understanding that
the fan is always running fast.

Few power supplies can have their fan speed controlled by way of an
external control (such as that on the motherboard) or report
temperature and fan RPMs for monitoring software. In fact, I've only
ever seen one system that let me control the PSU fan speed, and that
is my Compaq Deskpro EN system.

William
Old December 11th 07, 01:01 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Rich[_8_]

I did an on-line chat with Dell tech support. They agreed to send out an
exchange under warrranty. Technically I havent had the system a year yet
although the invoice date was 1 year plus 2 days.

At least the PS has a fail-safe so if the fan speed control fails it runs at
high speed.

Thanks for the reply

Rich

Old December 11th 07, 10:18 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_2_]

"Rich" wrote in message
A new refurb power supply from Dell fixed the fan problem.

Rich

That's great news. From where did you buy this PS - Dell spare parts or from
a third party?

Thanks.