Password protect HD?

Old July 29th 03, 07:42 PM
Hawkeye

Default Password protect HD?

I have been using magic folders and encrypted magic folders for years.
Work great.

http://www.pc-magic.com/

ASUS P4T533 mobo
Intel P4 2.8 GHz 533MHz
ASUS V8460 Ultra GeForce 4 Ti 4600
1024 Samsung 32-Bit RIMM 4200 1066MHz RAMBUS
RD1-8X Bios Savior
Enermax EG465P-VE FMA 430W PSU
Creative Labs Audigy 2
Sony DRU-500AX DVD+-RW
TDK VeloCD 48X16X48X CD-RW
TOSHIBA SD-M1612 DVD
Seagate 80GB 7200RPM
Seagate 120GB 7200RPM
WD 60GB 5400RPM
WD 40GB 5400RPM
Promise ULTRA 133 TX2 Controller
Dlink DFE530TX+ PCI nic
Motorola Surfboard SB3100 cable modem
Linksys BEFSR41 router
Windows XP Home SP1
Direct X 9.0
Old July 30th 03, 02:22 AM
Strontium

Only if NTFS is the file system for the system partition.

File protection will not work, with FAT32 partitions.

-
John McGaw stood up, at show-n-tell in
and said:

"John" wrote in message
y.com...
Is there a way to add password protection to a hard drive or certain
folders on a hard drive? Or are there certain types of hard drives
that come with password protection built-in?

I use a computer shared with others on which I need to protect a
large number of files. I have thought of adding another hard drive
just for my use if I can find a way to secure it. Any suggestions
would be appreciated.

If you use Windows XP Pro then encryption is built in so that you can
protect what you need to, at least at the file or folder level. It is
very easy to use and is completely transparent from the user's
viewpoint.

--
Strontium

"It's no surprise, to me. I am my own worst enemy. `Cause every
now, and then, I kick the livin' **** `outta me." - Lit

Old July 30th 03, 12:09 PM
Stephen Howard

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:27:23 GMT, "John" wrote:

Is there a way to add password protection to a hard drive or certain folders
on a hard drive? Or are there certain types of hard drives that come with
password protection built-in?

I use a computer shared with others on which I need to protect a large
number of files. I have thought of adding another hard drive just for my
use if I can find a way to secure it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

There's a software and a hardware approach.

You can use a number of programs that will encrypt/hide the data.

Scramdisk is one, which sets up 'containers' on your hard drive.
Blowfish Advanced CS is a file encryption that can be set up to run
from job or batch files.
http://www.bsn.ch/Lasse/bfacs.htm

Blowfish is freeware, not sure if Scramdisk still is.

Or you could opt for a removeable hard drive caddy. I use these things
on my machine for backing up data to. You can pick up small hard
drives ( 3 or 4 Gb ) for next to nothing, and a decent caddy comes in
at less than £20 ( even cheaper on Ebay ).
Simply format the drive as an extended partition and use it for all
your sensitive data - pull it out when not required.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk
Old August 1st 03, 11:18 AM
Stephen Howard

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 05:47:34 GMT, Jack wrote:

Shaun went the pay route with Scramdisk when he added support for
Win2000/XP. It's now called Drivecrypt, available from SecureStar for
US$49.95 http://www.securstar.com/

ScramDisk for Windows 95/98/ME (ONLY!) is still free, but no longer
unsupported. You can find it at: http://www.scramdisk.clara.net/

Ta for the update - though I take it you mean 'no longer supported'?

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk

Password for Win2000 and boot disk jtsnow General 2 January 30th 05 03:59 AM
Can't set CMOS password Shep© General 2 January 1st 05 02:59 AM
BIOS Password [email protected] General 4 December 23rd 04 01:41 PM
AST Advantage BIOS password David Murphy General 1 August 15th 04 10:13 PM
Password on Lifebook B David General 0 February 18th 04 12:58 PM