680i; who is telling the truth?

Old May 7th 07, 07:56 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon

Default 680i; who is telling the truth?

Great success! At least according to 'nVidia Control Panel' (ver
1.4.100.40 - 'View System Information' for my E4300 / EVGA 680i system.

The report:
Reference clock (FSB): 613.181 MHz
FSB Frequency: 2452.723 (QDR) MHz
CPU multiplier: 6.0 x
CPU core frequency: 3679.084 MHz
Memory bus frequency: 2452: 2452.723 (DDR2) MHz
PCI-E bus: 2500.000 MHz
PCI bus: 33.00 MHz

Honest to god! That's what it reports.

Oops!
Now it reports:
Reference clock (FSB) 450.103 MHz
FSB frequency: 1800.412 (QDR) MHz
CPU core frequency: 2700.618 MHz
Memory bus frequency: 1800.412 (DDR2) MHz
PCI-E bus: 2500.000 MHJz
PCI bus: 33.00 MHz

Oops!
'Adjust Motherboard Settings' reports:
Reference clock (FSB): 300 MHz
FSB Frequency: 1200 (QDR) MHz
CPU core frequency: 1800 MHz
Memory bus frequency: 1200 (DDR2) MHz
PCI-E: 2500 MHz

CPU-Z ver 1.40 reports:
Core Speed: 1799.9 MHz
Bus Speed: 300.0 MHz
Rated FSB: 1200.0 MHz

And SiSoft Sandra Lite ver 2007.4.11.22reports:
CPU core speed: 2.7 GHz BUT the benchmarks are similar to those with the
CPU core speed at 1.8 GHz.

Dynamic BIOS Access shows an FSB of 1800 MHz and a multiplier of 6 x.

nMonitor reports:
CPU Co 1800.000 MHz
FSB: 1200 (QDR) MHz

And finally (if I can trust the BIOS setting pages), the values in the BIOS
for this farrago are
CPU Multiplier: 9 X
FSB: 1800 MHz.

I am going to just stick with an FSB of 1200 MHz, a multiplier of 9 X, a
Memory Bus of 1200 MHz (1:2), and a CPU core voltage of 1.250 v until
SOMEBODY comes out with a reliable method of finding out what the
overclocking parameters really are. Until then I am going to work on a
water cooling system.

Phili Weldon

Old May 8th 07, 06:38 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Phil Weldon

Correction:
The CPU multiplier line in the last report
| And finally (if I can trust the BIOS setting pages), the values in the
BIOS
| for this farrago are
| CPU Multiplier: 9 X
| FSB: 1800 MHz.

Should read
CPU multiplier: 6 X

Phil Weldon

ink.net...

Old May 8th 07, 12:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Ed Medlin[_2_]

[...]

I have had nothing but problems with NTune myself. Between incorrect
readings, lockups and just a lot of other issues I think I will remove it
and just use some other program to monitor and do everything in bios. The
only thing I KNOW it is reporting correctly are my memory timings. I had a
stable OC at 3.0ghz but now after installing the newest version of NV
Control Panel I can't get past about 2.8ghz without issues.
Another issue I am having with the i680 board is that I have a "Safely
Remove Hardware" icon in my systray for all four HDDs. Not a big thing, but
I just wonder why it is there. I am also going to have to remove my water
block and clean and reapply thermal compound. I had great temps for a few
days but now I am seeing idle temps up in the 40s. I used some Artic Silver
that I had sitting around but the block came with some white stuff......I
think it is Artic Ceramique or something like that. I may have overdone the
original application just a bit anyway. Load temps are getting into the mid
50s so I need to do something because that is a good 10-15c above what I had
originally. Just for grins I ran 3D Mark 06 (free version) and got a score
of just under 14000 which ranked about 35th for C2Ds (including some QXxx
chips) which kind of surprized me since I was only running about a 2.8ghz
overclock. Must be those two 8800 GTXs.......:-).

Ed

Old May 8th 07, 11:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Forrest[_3_]

"Ed Medlin" wrote in message
t...

[...]

I have the EVGA 680i SLI board in a new build (mouse and keyboard freeze
at least once a day) and noticed that "safely remove hardware" icon in the
systray too. I was wondering where I picked up that useless thing. It only
lists my hard drive. OK .... remove hard drive while it's running
... yeah ...... I'm sure I want to do that.

Core 2 Duo and NV 680i Overclocking Ed Medlin[_2_] Overclocking 5 May 6th 07 02:27 PM
Nvidia 680i Melamorie Nvidia Videocards 0 April 17th 07 11:40 AM
680i and e6700 Chappie Overclocking 3 February 23rd 07 08:58 PM
What RAM should I get for my EVGA 680i Motherboard? Michael B. Homebuilt PC's 1 February 12th 07 05:53 AM
Dell lately telling HD replacement customers that on-site tech will re-install all software Basill Dell Computers 9 December 17th 05 11:18 PM